1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Smaller Dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by stlcardfan19, Aug 29, 2006.

1. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

I was looking at the old historical dogs in the gallery and i got to thinking when did our dogs get so big? What caused the dogs to get to the point that they are at know where a 45-50 pound male is small and that use to be outrageuos? Also i was looking at one dog that fought at 22 pounds! that is awesome does anyone know where you can find a smaller bred game dog im talking like 40 pounds tops.

2. Attila

Attila Guest

Mine are still the original way. There are those of us still breeding the proper way. Good post though you are touching on a continual battle with the big mutt crew.rep points for you. for starting it. tanks

3. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

ok I was looking at the original standard on colby's site45 pounds at one year. 18 inchs tall at shoulder. Why do we have these giant hippo dogs out there? Ok I'm am not saying breed for color or looks but for crying out loud can we try to bring it close to the breed standard? I mean a smaller dog is just as game as a bigger dog and in most cases more so.

Also does anyone know any lines that throw smaller dogs? How about colby are theres still pretty true?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2006
  4. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

U must be referring to the hippo trend, those dogs are not even considered apbt's, they are just huge mutts. The true apbt still is around the lower weight scale so don't fall for the large trend and don't believe them when they tell u that those dogs are true apbt's.

5. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

22lbs!Thats awesome!! Thats alot of heart and fire in such a small body!

6. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

Yea to a certain degree but most the dogs im seeing now a days are 50 + pounds. It isnt just the razor edge dogs any more. [​IMG] told ya 22 pounds

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2006
  7. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

well u said something about the colby dogs, well hell one of the originators is colby's pincher and he was over 70lbs, so it goes to show that some dogs are just big. Look at GR. CH. Mayday he was over 70 too

8. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Actually there are alot of APBT in the 30-40lbs range you never hear or see those on the net because they are in real dogmens hands that dont go on internet.

9. Attila

Attila Guest

not one of my stock are over 43 pounds. Count who I got this year is probably going to hit 55 soon. I am thinking hunting only and no breeding unless he stops growing and trims down to the most 50.

10. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

true I have heard that but what dog did they use to create the breed standard? It is also the proportions. If it is proportioned correctly i guess i dont havr quite the problem. On a side note does anyone know how tall chinaman was?

11. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

Well damn you guys need to be less secretive so I can get a good dog. J/k i know why there is all the secrecy I just really want a good dog and dont know where to go. Atilla I think we need to talk!

12. Esse818

Esse818 Big Dog

All dogs are good but it all depends on what you need it for.Wow 22 pounds i bet that was standered for dogs back then.

13. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

it was his match weight so there had two be another one