1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Staffies

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Crash97, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I was wondering what thoughts were on the Staffordshire Bull Terrier? I am not talking the AmStaf. This oughta get heated.

2. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Yeah......your right.....you probably opened a can of worms.

Technically........your playing the name game here. Here we go......

The AKC shunned breeds called "pit bulls" until 1936, when it recognized the American Pitbull Terrier under the alias Staffordshire Terrier, named after the miners of Staffordshire, England, who had a hand in the developement of the original English fighting breed.

Originally, 50 Staffordshire Terriers were accepted into the AKC. One of the original dogs was none other than the famous Petey, from the Little Rascals. The name was changed in 1972 to the American Staffordshire Terrier to distinguish the breed from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England, the ancestor to the American dogs, which was recognized by the AKC in 1974.

The British version of the dog is 14-18 inches tall at the shoulder and weighs up to 45 pounds. The American cousin is 18-19 inches at the shoulder and weighs up to 80 pounds. The UKC's American Pit Bull Terrier is preferred to range from 30-60 pounds with the females generally, but not necessarily, smaller than the males.

Since acceptance into the AKC, the American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog has been bred separately from the UKC's American Pit Bull Terrier.

This has resulted in two separate breeds. This can get confusing, so let me explain.

The AKC does not recognize the American Pit Bull terrier as a pure bred dog. The only bull terrier breeds recognized by the AKC are the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the American Staffordshire Terrier.

On the other hand, the UKC does recognize the AKC's American Staffordshire Terrier as an American Pit Bull Terrier and allows them to be registered with the UKC.

Confusing? Yes. This subject is the source of much dispute, but as much as I try to avoid controversy about which breed is which, I guarantee you that I will offend someone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2004
  3. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

hhhhhmmmmmmmm 1972 you say, how can that be???? When the Great White Rock dog was alive during the 50's and some say he was part staff???

<a href="http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=35828">
    TUDOR'S WHITE ROCK</a>

That mean's the name change for the breed came 20 something yrs after White Rocks time....Even tho the name was changed to staff they would still be considered the same breed for a number of yrs no?

Just a thought........YIS

4. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

O, by the way.....Good post Jman

5. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

So is the Staffie really a smaller sized pit bull under a different name in order to get recognized?

6. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

It was at one time.....Now it is no longer the same breed as a pitbull....Just like a Am Staff is a different breed then the American Pitbull Terrier......YIS

7. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

This is due to being bred for conformation and not gameness, correct?

8. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

correctdamoondo

9. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Well.........all I got to say is somebody is WRONG. :confused: There is no Staff in White Rock......he was just a damn pretty dog with more bite than bark.......it happens!.......hey........i know u don't believe this!? Say it isn't so!