1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

starting a yard off

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by CRG, May 9, 2004.

1. CRG

CRG Top Dog

if you had to start a yard off brand new from scratch what bloodline would you start off with?

2. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

Maybe something like Colby,Eli,Carver so many good ones everybody has there own favorites

3. I like Nigerino, Carver, Eli and Boudroux.

4. From my experience, and the experiences of others I have met..don't be in a big hurry to buy. Take your time and shop around, and ask questions, and listen to the answers. Also, as you visit folks, mention other breeders and check their response. Food for thought though, not all sellers will have good things to say about other breeders. One reason is, we as a people, like to think we have the best to offer. So with that said, judge for yourself. And, be descrete with your remarks. You may want to sell some stock one day. Your name will go futher than your face will. Be honest. Money ain't everything. Good luck, keep scratching and dig in.

5. That is wonderful advice!

6. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

That was a great post.........which lines you start with depend on what outcome you want and most of all.....what are your favorites. Variety can be the spice of life.

7. MMK

MMK Guest

if your just starting out and looking for hunting dogs to go hunting with, i recemend jeep/redboy and toobstone bolio as they are pretty consistant lines that i feel one has a better chance to get something worth keeping. other lines are great also. but for someone just starting out i feel jeep/redboy and tstone/bolio would be a great start. i would stay away from frisco stuff as it is very inconsistant (there are good dogs from the frisco line but u have to weed through a 100 to find a great dog but when u find it u will be satisfied with it).

but if your looking for hunting dogs, to be perfectly honest there is a higher chance the dog wont work out. there will always be currs in a litter. your best bet in my opinion would be to try to buy proven hard tested bitch and then find a winning male that has u interested (dont worry about bloodlines outcrosses are better know for box dogs, linebred/inbred are better known for producing good brood stock), breed to that male and keep everything. and then cull what ever doesnt pass its future tests u put it through. keep the ones that impressed u when going through there test and burry the rest. then take your hard tested bitch and breed her to another winning outcrossed male and keep the whole litter agian, cull hard. it will take some time and alot of work, and u can not be bias about your dogs cause one seems happier to see u when u bring the food in the morning, make the cuts do to proformance. if u have a quitter and u include him/her in your breeding program u will end up wasting alot of time space and work. but after about 5 years of working like this you should have a nice selection of hard tested dogs. breed the very best back to that game tested bitch (his momma) keep and cut out the useless dogs, this will be your future brood stock for outcrossing and to help preserve the females blood incase of loosing her to old age/accidents/ thiefs.

as i said before it will take a good 5-6 yrs but in the end you should be to the point were u have a nice competeing yard to go hunting, or even just to preserve the breed in its true state. but this works from breeding and keeping not breeding and sell most of them and keep your favorite pup. keep honest with the dogs, be a responsible owner, keep your dogs away from thiefs and this will help you accomplish building a solid yard to be proud of. but if another blood intrest you and you would like to try it, i suggest breed to it over buying a pup, u will have more to gain a strong oppinion on it with out of a whole litter than you would out of one. plus a pup off a dog is usually about the same as it is to breed to the dog and have a bunch of them.

if you start off with pups and do this it can still be done but it will take a while longer and many more pups to cut out of the program and cost alot more money than just saving 2,000-2,500 and buying your self a hard tested bitch, plus u dont have to wait 2 years to breed her and get things started.

i hope this will help you and many others get a yard started and learn how to breed dogs without wasting breedings and space on POS dogs. keep the best burry the rest.

MMK

8. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

If I had to start over, I would not look for a bloodline at all...I'd find a good working kennel and try to get something from them, maybe they'd have a good brood bitch that they wouldn't mind getting ahold of. I'd take that bitch and breed her to a top notch PRODUCING stud. And thats how I would start off again.

BB

9. So basically if you had to start over you wouldn't pick a dog by it's pedigree correct? I just want to understand you correctly.

10. 3BK

3BK Pup

I guess so... it may be regardless of the pedigree... but it can still be, you'll visit a kennel ofcorz of a certain bloodline of dog right? and then that kennel should be actively showing his dogs, right? then get the best bitch, right? then look for the best goddamn stud there is to breed her to, here ofcorz the bloodline should very much compliment your bitch's. right?

yis...

11. So say you end up picking a bitch that you REALLY like but it's pedigree is full of dogs that you don't recognize? Would you still take the bitch if she's exactly what you're wanting but the ped isn't full of known dogs? And how would you know which stud to take her to because of her pedigree?

12. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

You are understanding me 110% correct. A pedigree is worthless, without a good dog to go along with it. If I had to start over, gimme a good producing, checked bitch...regardless of the ped.
    BB

13. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

I still take a bitch I really like, even if I don't recognize every dog in her ped. Especially if she has already proven to throw a good amount of winners and game dogs. As far as knowing which stud to breed for, I'd find a male, that is also producing outstanding dogs that maybe is throwing something that maybe my bitch is lacking...peds don't come first, the dogs do.
    BB

14. Ok...so say the bitch you find that you REALLY like has never been bred and is almost 17 months old but you REALLY like her cause she appears to have all the qualities you're looking for BUT has also not been checked yet. Then what?

15. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

I'd wait till she proves herself then go from there. Just my opinion;)

16. I really hope y'all don't start thinking of me as a retard or stupid or something cause of all these questions I'm asking. I've got a LOT to learn here and the only way I can is by asking questions LOL!

Anyway, ok. You say wait till she proves herself. What if you don't have the time to wait? What I'm saying is ok...you REALLY like this bitch but someone else is interested in her as well but you don't want to pass up the opportunity and let someone else snag her up?

I'm almost starting to think of myself as stupid here ROFL!!!

17. I've another sinario!

Ok...you run across a dog for sale on someone's website. The dog looks REALLY good. You contact the person about the dog. They tell you the dog's ped is made up of (insert whatever here) and from further talking to the person you decide you REALLY want the dog. So you buy the dog. Dog is $150 plus shipping, crate, health certificate...making it around $550 depending where you live. Dog gets to you. You're still liking her. You send in her registration and get back the biggest pedigree you can cause you want to see it all. When you get her papers back you find that the pedigree isn't what you were told it was. But she's a good dog. HOWEVER, she's never been bred (again only 17 months or so) and she's never been tested AND you're a total newbie and don't have a freakin clue. Now what?

18. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

You shouldn't feel that way and we don't think that of you. No question is stupid. The only stupid questions is the ones that aren't asked. Always remember knowledge is power. So just ask away bro:D

19. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

Thats messed up that the ped isn't what you were told it was supposed to be:mad: . But you know what? If you like the dog and she turns out for you thats all that should matter. Remember the dog comes 1st, ped last. Look at your dog as an individual and not be clouded by her ped. Hope this helps you out;)

20. It's hard when I've got my friend over here telling me to get rid of her JUST because of her pedigree. He says his kennel partner says the same thing. Here's her pedigree http://www.freewebs.com/no1specialsapbts/doginquestion.htm She's been here since February and I still haven't decided what I want to do. My friend is sorta pushing me to get rid of her and get another dog from him. She's very full of spunk and go but I don't know how to go about proving her worth.