1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

starve keep

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by p1tbull, Oct 30, 2010.

1. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

I heard this from someone. Well a starve dog's stomach acid will burn fat right? So did people ever starve their dog before going into keep. Just enough to let the acid eat chunks of fat away. Then feed the amount it should be having and start from there. My thoughts were the dog will be way to weak to work for weeks.

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

wrong wrong wrong!

what is fat? stored energy. how do you cut weight? caloric intake less than caloric consumption-thus using the body's reserves (i.e. fat)

it has absolute zero to do w/ the stomach acid.

and yes, if you starve the dog it will be weak. proper diet and excercise is the only way to get rid of "fat"

McNally*1 likes this.
  3. roza

roza Pup

I have heard of making a dog drop weight 1 or 2 pounds below his optimal pit weight and then build the dog back up throughout the keep so at the end he is at his correct pit weight but starving a dog???
    I feel like some people should apply methods they use on their dogs on themselves and see how it makes them feel....

McNally*1 likes this.
  4. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Bet they wouldn't like it thats the kind of bullshit that gives the dogs a bad rep!

5. tamthebam

tamthebam Big Dog

The only time the amount of food is reduced is when the work is reduced near the end of the keep, in my opinion.

6. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

First off humans and dogs are totally seperate creatures. What works for us doesn't necessarily work them. Electrolytes and sweat is a perfect example. Yes you do have to drop your dogs weight for the inside fat to be burned off. Rally racer is exactly correct there is a difference between starving and cutting the amount of intake but physical activity makes the difference between the two. The work should be intense enough to cut the weight, burn calories, help lose the inside and build muscle all at once for the first four weeks. Food should never be reduced at the end of the keep because the dog show be at weight at this point and the exact amount that is being fed should be known to a T, amount of work need should be finalized just about. Last 4 weeks of a keep is a exact science and the dog should be at weight already and all you are doing is fine tuning the weight and knowing how is effect by the time he eats to the time he emptys and how long it is taking him to digest his food, how much rest he needs, to how much work he needs. The body should be in the memory mode from repition working and feeding, not creating new invariables to deal with.

7. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

Hahaha I dont think it was explained to you correctly

the way it was told to me was to reduce the amount of feed said dog was given prior to the start of the keep not starve the dog completly

Ive seen it used before just have to be carefull not to bring the dog down to fast and be shure to use the correct supplements

8. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

well yea i kinda meant low food intake not directly nothing. LOL. But in the wild if they did live in it, they wont get food everyday right so how come dogs of now would need food everyday?

9. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

The same reasons the children of today are out of controle in most cases

10. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Ive seen lots of show dogs conditioned at the food bowl. AKA starved lol.
    To starve a dog is plain stupid.

11. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

The starve is just a word ive never seen anyone stop feeding the dog for a keep

When i seen it used was normaly for dog that were way over weight
    so much so that working them at current condition posed a health problem itself

so the AMOUNT of feed was cutt to bring the dog to a healthy weight before starting a keep PLEASE DONT KNOCK IT

LIKE I SAY STARVE IS JUST THE WORD USED NOT THE ACTION TAKEN
    In the cases ive seen anyway

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Amen to that SMFH:rolleyes:

13. shadowwolf

shadowwolf Big Dog

We call that the ghetto keep. ;)

14. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

LOL @ ghetto keep:D

15. garth

garth Big Dog

The boys and girls should be at their dance wt before you start their dance classes.Reduceing their food is not the way to do it.You have a feed,pre and working keep each for there own purpose.

16. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

Tunnel vision is contagious i see

but the person/persons that showed me this keep really did dogs in their day

they never walk around a little ring talking bout my dog looks better than yours hoping a judge liked their dog best nagh the dogs judged themselfs
    its a shame because this dog has always been the lowerclass/ghetto dog
    untill someone Said awe its such a pretty dog lets see who can breed the preetiest one

17. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

I agree to the last part of your post but every body dosnt maintaine their the same your chaine weight may be 5 pounds above conditioned weight when rickies chainweight may be 15 pounds above a dogs conditioned weight meaning the dog is morbitly overweight so a diet and light hand walking is done to bring the dog withn 5-7 pounds of its conditioned weight before the actual keep begins

18. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Frank cutting weight in an obese dog by REDUCEING there feed is one thing. To starve a dog is rediculious.
    Dogs to big? Yes Cut some feed but more importantly walk the shit out the fat beast lol. Its called a pre keep

19. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

have you ever tried to walk a obese dog I have and its not fun they lazy ass unhappy dogs so the first thing you do is cutt the feed(starve keep)
    start none stressfull activities to get the dog somewhat active because a obese dog that is pushed to hard to fast is a dead obese dog 9 times out of ten

like I say the word starve is just a term used not the action take

20. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

If the dogs to fat to walk let it die.LMAO
    Start slow and build. If you have to only walk the dog to the corner and back to get started. If it has legs and feet it can walk. I dont dissagree with cutting feed. The op is talking all kinds of stupidness. Stomach acids eating the fat etc lol. His definition and youre deffinition of Starve is completely different. Lots of less than smart newbs reading this will take the word starve litterly.