1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Suet for lactating bitch

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dutchy954, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

So my bitch has been taking quite a beating from a litter of 9. It has only been 9 days and she looks a mess even though she has been eating between 3-6 cups of TOTW a day. So I did some research and this is the recipe I give her twice daily plus free fed TOTW.

Twice a day for the past two days I have been giving her:

3/4 cup of chopped raw beef suet
    1.5 cups of TOTW
    One Natures Variety freeze dried raw chicken patty

I also have still been giving her a teaspoon of cod liver oil daily.

Any input would be appreciated. Anyone have some tips please let me know, Thanks!

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I'm no expert but personally my natures variety stuff seemed to hurt more than it helped my dogs. I would use real meat instead of that and I would find a source for vitamins and minerals like nupro or something similar. Beef suet should be a plus but I can't see how she could get all the nutrition that will be needed to whelp a litter just on that alone. Maybe try some goats milk as well

3. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

The only thing about nupro I was worried about was the calcium. I do not want to give her too much when she is already producing it so fast. And I was thinking the same thing about switching to raw chicken oppose to the patty. Thank you Dream Pits!

4. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Beef Suet(fat) is excellent for lactating bitches. Dog milk is mostly fat & feeding the bitch a high fat diet is the correct thing to do. I would toss the TOTW and feed her a good high energy or puppy feed that is at least 30/20 and some good vitamins along with the suet. I would also try feeding her 3-4 times a day rather than 1-2 large meals. I would go easy on the Cod Liver oil as it is very high in vitamin A. I prefer to use Salmon oil. I also do not think 3 cups of dog food is enough especially not of TOTW. I have seen bitches eat 6+ cups a day of high energy feed when lactating. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

5. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

Very helpful benthere. Thank you. My concern was that she is now free fed the TOTW which is 32/18... And she still will not put it down, she is just not an overeater. I began adding these foods to get her some more nutrients and weight. Puppies are putting on weight no problem. The salmon oil makes sense! That will be next. Thanks again!

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Good post Benthere, totw is a good dog food but puppy food has more calories and fat.