1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Swelling in the face/benedryl??

Discussion in 'Medical' started by gh32, Mar 5, 2009.

1. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Sorry to hear he is doing crappy he might need another stronger type of antibiotic and I agree with what Simms said, It's probably blood from his stomach or GI tract from the meds he's on.

2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

That's the weird part,the swelling is alot better.He just isn't interested in eating much and crapping a little blood now.But when is was bad it was on the left side of his upper lip about half way between the nose and eye.Then that went down some and swelling started under the right eye,kind of in the lower eyelid area.I'll dig out the medicine and give you the name on it later,I don't have with me right now and can't remember what it's called.He is kind of picking at his food but used to he'd eat anything,he was like a vacuum cleaner.There's like a small spoonful maybe,of bubbly mucus like blood in his crap.The dog crap is soft but not full fledged diarreah or anything.Like a thick pudding texture.He's hanging in there but he does have me pretty worried about him.

3. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Abscesses are nasty infections and the symptom you are explaining sounds about right for a nasty infection. It can take a little while to get over it.

Couple things going on......

Lose stool could be because of the antibiotics or the infection.
    Loss of appetite could be upset stomach when you give him the meds.
    Blood in the stool is most likely from the antibiotics tearing up the stomach.

My suggestions, I would get some canned food, (not crappy food from the corner store) and feed him a few spoons full with the meds. Since he is not eating his food it is making him feel worse when he takes meds with hardly any food. You can also try some cooked hamburger meat. Anything to get food in his stomach. You can also give him 1 tablet of cheap store brand anti-acid. That will help with any nausea. Also try maybe chicken and rice for a few days so that you give his GI tract a break while he is trying to feel better.

Have you ever took any meds without eating and you felt like sh** later? Same thing. I hope this helps, and I hope he feels better.:)

4. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

It seems to me that he may have whipworms along with and infection. whipworms can cause the stool be a little bloody once the dog gets dehydrated and stops eating a normal amount. My female had similar symptoms except for the swelling of the face. Did he get bit in the face by another dog the day before the swelling started on his face?
    I would recommend two options of medication: 500 mg of Cephalexin every twelve hours along with 500mg of Metronidazole once a day. Or you can give 500mg of cephalexin twice a day and 250mg of cipro twice a day. Within a week you should start seeing your dog getting back to normal. These two combinations have save my dog twice.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  5. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Here's what the vet gave me to give-Clindamycin and Rimadyl.I just checked on him,stools still loose,oatmeal type texture with no blood this morning thankfully.One thing I forgot to mention he will eat some hamburger meat or raw bacon at least somewhat.He just isn't taken much interest in dogfood.I have taken medicine on an empty stomach and it can be kind of bad.I've been giving the pills in a handfull of lard,that's about the only way I've ever got him to take a pill.I've tried hotdogs but when he bites the hot dog the pill falls out alot and he spits it out.With the lard it's all one big sticky,greasy mess.Kind of glues the pill in there.

6. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Lard can give him the runs, I would just pill the old fashion way. Stuff it down the throat then try some food after or before. All the meds mentioned above by Purepits19 are all types of antibiotics. If your dog does have whip worms you would have to give a dewormer. But in his weakened state I would do a fecal instead. worming a sick dog can kill them if they are infested with worms.

If it was my dog I would call my vet in the am and let him know my dog is not doing well. he might just prescribe a different medication without an exam. Phone calls are always free, take advantage of them;)

Purepits19 I am not saying that combination is bad but since you mentioned worms I wanted to make it clear those were not wormers so a newbie doesn't get confused.

7. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

do you know the weight of that dog lol..

anyway i couldnt help but come back to this thread, im feeling sorry for you and your dog buddy so im going to give you this.
    still, check with your vet as you have already started on one type antibiotic.

you need an antibiotic that kills both gram positive and gram negative bacteria.
    first choices would be baytril 60mg followed by keflex/chephalexin 500mg, Amoxillin 400mg and last, injectable penicillin type. use a double dose for the first initial dose, example: keflex 500mg, 2 tablets for the first dose(1000mg) then 1 tablet every 12 hours for 10 days, choose one of these antibiotics for minor to severe wounds and keep to the schedule for the 10 days.
    however, if you have an extreme infection which in this case it sounds like it, use the combination below. NOTE: if your dog weighs less than 35lbs, cut the antibiotic dose in half. if your dog gets extreme diarrhea cut back the dose, diarrhea is a sign of antibiotic poisoning.
    encountering an abcess or mouth wound that seems out of control, a good combination as an example is to use baytril 60mg along with keflex 500mg given together at 8am followed by keflex 500mg at 2pm followed by baytril 60mg and keflex 500mg at 8pm. follow this for the worst case infections along with cleaning and flushing of the mouth.
    if there is a foreign abject it needs to be removed. massaging the area towards where the wound or entry point of the object was can help. it is important to and will help conciderably removing the muck, if you have a drain area or you have lanced the area, this must be kept open to allow for sufficent drainage, do not allow it to heal over until the swelling has gone completely.

this post goes against what i initially stated and i do not take responsability for any problems if not understood or followed correctly or for that matter if i have misprinted something in my post.
    i hope it all come good, you do have to allow some time for things like this to mend.
    remember, if it does not get cleared up properly an abcess can reappear if the dog gets stressed during a keep or hard work outs in the future.
    good luck.

ps, with the crook gut, avoid the fatty stuff, that will not help things at all.
    RICE is the number one thing to give with a crook gut.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
  8. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Well said!!