1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

swimming a dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by CRG, May 11, 2004.

1. CRG

CRG Top Dog

i heard swimming is a great exercise.this may sound stupid but where i would not want my dog swimming where other dogs are at or where i would not be able to get my hands on him. is there some kind of set-up to put on a dog while swimming so you could have some control on him.

2. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Have u looked in the Conditioning Forum. There are several threads which mention swimming your dog. One of my personal favorite things to do. Read up and enjoy!

3. Icarus

Icarus O.APBT'S

I made up a rig and swim mine in a horse trough. Very good excercise. gets em lean and biulds plenty of muscle.

4. BDK

BDK oo7

the best way i have found to swim a dog which is great exercise if your dog doesnt mind water well if like in my case youe lucky enough to have a small river or large creek nearby is to tie a long lead to one side of the bank maybe to a tree then with another lead you get on the other side where your dog is in the water between the two facing upstream i have a male that really enjoys this keeps him in the middle and from being able to go one way or the other the advantage of my situation is the creek behind my house is clean clear water and only about 3 ft deep hope that helps you out and the rig with the horse trough works excellent also if you dont have a natural body of water to use>>>>boondock

5. We Live Close To 2 Lakes Like 10 Min Away We Get A Quick Link Hook To The Side Of My Ski Boat After We Stop In The Middle Of The Lake Then Hook A 10 To 12 Ft Thick Rope Hook Him Or Her To The Side And Watch Em Swim Some Times We Just Throw Them Out I Mean Really Where They Gona Go? You Cant Catch Em In A Boat With A Merc 175 Black Max Lmao.also The 1s That Dont Like Water I Let My Kids Get Out And Swim And Most Dogs Will Follow Them After A Few Minutes

6. Bravo

Bravo Pup

Swimming is tough on a dog,

If you are doing it for the first time just start out with a couple of mins at a time.

People can over work there dog as they dont see there dogs tongue hanging out therfore believe he is not stressed.

A dog can overheat even in water.
    So just be careful folks that you start out with very little at the time.

Also i would not swim even a fit dog for too long as i said it is hard on a dog,But can be used in conjunction with other exercises to produce a good keep.

It can also be used on a lame dog or a dog who has a tendancy to go lame.

Bravo

7. GYD

GYD Pup

Not all dogs that we've had enjoyed it. But, have one bitch who absolutely LOVES it. Have a pond right on our road that we take her to. She starts getting really excited as we get closer and dives in. She does laps in the water and loves to try and catch the fish. Sometimes it looks like she is drowning when she goes after the fish because she is trying to get them with her legs. LOL It's funny to watch her go swimming. In the summer we'll take her down there at least once a week. We've never let her go for more than an hour and even then we have to drag her out! We are pretty secluded so we don't have too much of a problem with other dogs. But, would reccomend using a tie-out to put around the tree. As long as the dog won't tangle itself up.