1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Tail Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by GBrown, Jun 4, 2008.

1. GBrown

GBrown Pup

For some of you that may know something about showing I would love to hear your opinions on my dog's tail. He has a decent body and I think he's capable of competeing in the show ring, but his tail throws his back end off. People have suggested attaching weight to it since he's fairly young so maby he'll grow out of keeping it curled up. I'm wondering has anyone ever heard of something like that and if so how could you possibly do it.

Attached Files:

2. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Cute dog. A gay tail is not something that can be fixed in my opinion; it is a genetic trait. You can still show the dog if you choose; a gay tail is a fault.

3. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I have seen dogs with gay tails place, but most people aren't very happy to see that happen, because like Patch has said, it's a fault.

4. texas_dogger

texas_dogger Big Dog

People have suggested attaching weight to it since he's fairly young so maby he'll grow out of keeping it curled up

This is a horrible suggestion in my opinion not sure if it would affect anything because I am not a Vet but the tail is part of the spine just as your tailbone is part of your spine so i would advise not weighting it down. Second that "remedy" seems highly unlikely almost like someone thought of it on a whim. Third it could be irritating to the dog in question possibly making them chew at the weight making them break teeth or just stress them out just a little food for thought JMHO. :)

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Its a genetic fault. IMO, show him as he is. My dogs have faults, too. The judge is going to pick the best dog there, and a tail fault is less of a big deal than other faults.

6. GBrown

GBrown Pup

I was thinking some of the same thoughts that you all are. I'm going to continue to work with him anyways, because some of the judges have told me he has everything in his favor except the tail. However, This genetic fault helps me to know what's possible in breeding.

7. maximusflys

maximusflys Big Dog

If the dog is relaxed and not excited the tail should settle down to a normal postition.

8. GBrown

GBrown Pup

I thought the same thing, but be's never relaxed in the show ring, and even when he is it's still up.

9. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

10. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

I've herd of some vets cutting the tail for it not to stand up at all or very little... But I don't know if a vet will do this now days or not.....

11. GBrown

GBrown Pup

Thanks for the info., very informative

12. jdp204

jdp204 Pup

i got a male with a gay tail too, and actually at the fun show i competed in(with a real adba judge) he didnt even mention the tail, my males straight stifles were a bigger fault.
    [​IMG]

13. Yeah, it's not hard to fix actually.

Two things you can do, I'm not saying I condone these things but, they are very common practices with AKC dogs.

1.) Get someone to break it. IF done correctly it's very helpful. If it is done incorrectly you can have a dog with no tail expression at all. It hangs there like a dead noodle. Same goes for number...

2.) There is an injection that you can put in the base of the tail that does the same thing. But it will always hang limp. Very common in show horses as well.

I say if you want to fix it, fix it genetically. A tail isn't as important as other aspects of the game dog. But each judge is different.

14. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

not hard to fix? according to you or the dog?

15. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

Im guessing a gay tail that stay up an curled all the time not just when a challenge
    is around

but I could be wrong

but fix it?

the only way to fix it is to breed away from it

or dont breed the dog at all

I never realy minded a lil curl over as long as it wasnt like a monkey tail and/or was fat

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  16. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

It is a minor fault and as long as he is an overall correct dog otherwise it won't hurt him that bad in the ring. We have had them in the past and have done quite well. There is no need to put your dog as risk of ending up with a worse tail issue by using any of these methods.

17. Exactly my point GAPITS. woody d, thanks for that. Just giving some answers to a question. Did I say I condoned them? Nope.

18. shadowwolf

shadowwolf Big Dog

How does the dog's tail carry when it's relaxed? Some dogs will give a slight 'curl' if they have a traditional 'pump handle' tail as is described by standard - curling over like a basenji, however, is a bit extreme.

19. yoel

yoel Big Dog

How big a fault is not having the first molars that come after the canine tooth (Sharpest teeth) on the bottom row?? Thats what my dogs got going.

20. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Don't put any weights on the dogs tail, That is a sure fire way to cause a lot of damage.

Your dog just has a faulty tail and that is all there is to it, Just feed the dog good and enjoy it.