1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me what yall think about this

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by popper, Feb 25, 2010.

1. popper

popper CH Dog

WHat Don mayfield was saying about his keep
    When I first got into the dog game and worked my first dog I worked him with roadwork and walk. I showed up with a top conditioned dog and won in 1 hour, and 10 minutes. The next dog I worked was with a treadmill plus roadwork and walk. She too, was in good shape and won in 1hour and 15minutes, if I remember correctly. I lost with one the same day but it was not because of my conditioning.
    The next thing I found out when working a dog is that they can be put in shape most anyway a person sees fit.
    Since I was working on a job most of the time, the next thing I started working on was an easy way to work a dog. I had seen everyone else's way of working a dog by now, but I had something else in mind. I wanted to work a dog like a wild dog would work if he had to hunt and kill his food, more so like the big cats do, or like an eagle. They make their kill when they are very thin with no fat whatsoever on them. This is the time when most wild animals kill for food. Their blood count is on a natural high and there is no fat to make them breathe hot. This is when they are their sharpest and make their kill. Their condition at the time of the kill will not return until they are ready for their next kill. In between times the wild will tend to get fat and slow and lazy and they will have miss after miss until they lose all their fat and get sharp, hunting and working their bodies into shape.
    In my way of thing the cat mill was the machine I was looking for. Frank Fitzwater showed me his, he had a big wagon wheel on a hub with a 2x4 sticking out about 12 feet with a chain on it and another 2x4 in front of it with a box attached. Frank told me that it was a cat mill but nobody he knew would use one because they were afraid they would half kill their dog and that you could never get the dog to the pit in one piece.
    At this time every dogman I had met worked his dog with a harness on them and myself, being a newcomer, also worked my dogs with a harness on them. Besides it looked good on a dog. A harness has it's own place for the dog. And the only place I found to use it is when taking a picture.
    I liked the catmill I had seen a franks' but I could plainly see that it was very out-dated. I then went home and made one with 20 feet from the center of the track. I still nearly killed the first dog I worked on it even at 20 feet. I then dug out my track and put a bank three feet high on the outside of the track. This did the trick and when my dog would run hard on the mill he would run up on the bank. When he slowed down he would walk or trot in the bottom of the track. I also had a drain to keep the water out of the track.
    ther was more to it if yal want the link

2. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

some day when i have the land ill try this. but i prefer hand walking the dog and doing wind sprints with 'em, it keeps me in shape too.

3. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Do you even have to ask about the link? Of course!

4. popper

popper CH Dog

sorry
    http://grch.blogspot.com/2007/02/to-begin-with-you-must-have-healthy-dog.html

check out the barney fife keep , very good and in depth... i personally think walking aint gonna really get yolur dog in shape all that much... you need to get that heart rate up and walking doesnt cut it..... of course thats not the only thing you do in a keep..... i usually will walk 30 min before a workout and then 15 to 20 after... i amgonna start adding a 5 pound wiegth on to a harnedss to get stremgth in crease

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  5. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

These keeps on the net are all good, but not all dogs will run a mill,not all dogs will run a jenny or they will only do a few laps and stop. These keeps are good for a guide , but every dog is different and what suits one dog will not suiit another dog. Best thing is to find different exercises that the dog enjoys and take it from there . I used to prefer road work either walking or riding the bike and getting the dog to pace itself , and put in little sprints and at the home straight build up longer sprints. I know of dogs that were put through their keeps chasing balls and rabbits.
    In my opinion take a slice of various keeps and see if t works for you.;):dogstare:

6. popper

popper CH Dog

thats exactly what i do , balls and rabbits
    i have one male that will chase tennis balls for hours evreyday, never gets tired of it.

7. CTG

CTG Big Dog

i like handwalking, mill, flirt and springpole.

8. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

good advise here;)

9. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Thank you.

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

11. ROSE

ROSE Banned

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

wasn't it discontinued?:confused:

13. That is how we used to do it with ball and rabbits. Funny how the years go by and some things always stay the same.