1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The optimal catch/show weight

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by $money$, Aug 30, 2012.

1. $money$

$money$ Stupid Member

How would you guys decide the best and exact catch weight for your dog.
    ...for example, if i have my dog conditioned @ 43lbs, but dont know if he would be stronger and faster @ 46lbs or stronger and faster @ 40lbs...so how would u pick the exact, most favorable weight???

2. I am not the most knowledgeable by a long shot, but i would say the better shape your dog is in the better she will catch, the first time i used my bulldog to catch she was not even close to the shape i though she was in, i would definatly say endurance is a huge part of catching. She was plenty strong but her endurance just wasnt there. I have noticed a dog with staying power serves me a lot better than a little heavier dog. Just my 2 cents though

3. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Does it matter about the other weights if he's in top shape at 43 anyway?? That's not something you want to mess around with if you already have it nailed down. If at 43 he looks good, acts good and is strong with plenty of energy then just cut him loose there.

4. tommy1985

tommy1985 Big Dog

as long as the dog isnt losing weight when being worked, keep his diet consistent and work him/her and whatever weight they end up is whats healthy for them.if hes gaining weight then reduce food portions slowly til dog is maintaining performance and his condition isnt deteriorating. im no expert but that wud seem like common sense. unless its to be conditioned for a show that is a completely different matter

5. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Huh? Thats a little confusing. Are you just trying to determine what the dogs conditioned weight should be?

6. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Top Dog

Holy shit lmmfao

7. $money$

$money$ Stupid Member

Yes, that is the question. I'm asking how do u pick a dogs perfect catch weight. 43lbs could be great conditioning , but could 3 more pounds make him/her a better faster stronger dog or would 3less pounds do it. Im asking how to choose the best weight for any given dog that would have him/her @ its fastest and strongest state

8. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

im sorry, but i gotta ask.....do you mean to tell us that you dont know your own dog? have you tried conditioning it before?

if not, find a good keep and follow it to a T. each dog is different, so adjust accordingly. if you dont know what youre looking for, either get rid of the dog, or find someone willing to help ya. preferrably not over the internet LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  9. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

Your title is deserved..........wow! Work a dog, any dog then you tell us.

10. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Shhh....I don't think he noticed yet.

11. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I was wondering where that came from. I thought there was a way users could change that on their own..

12. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Just call it conditioned weight instead of catch weight. And there are different methods that can be used to fine a dogs natural weight diff people do diff things. What i like is to walk a dog and monitor his breathing and strength. I gradually cut back on food and slowly drop the dogs weight. Watch your dog closely, you are looking for improved breathing and the strength to maintain. When u notice the dogs strength decrease raise his weight back up and when the strength returns you have his weight. (The method that works for me) The method i would never recommend(have seen people do this) is leaving a dog on a chain and just starving him down till you see some ribs and spine.

Box Bulldog likes this.
  13. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i'll tell ya how to get em on the $ every time & bring em right. but first you got to tell me how fix this flux compasitor on my deloren?

vw mike likes this.
  14. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

You having trouble producing 1.21 jigowatts?

15. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Lol... got a good laugh from that one.

16. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

lol now motherfucker but when i get this bitch running. and breeding black widdo to dibo you'll be mortgaging your house to get a pup. 80......85.........87........

17. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

Lmao!!!.........thanks for the laugh, I really needed it that after today.

18. $money$

$money$ Stupid Member

I Appreciate the real input... thanks tigerboy5

19. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

No prob man. Everybody has to start somewhere but the internet isnt really the best place but its a start none the less. The easiest way to learn would be to find a mentor near you and get some hands on experience with them but finding a mentor is also gonna be one of the hardest things to do.(Because of the whole trust issue thing)

20. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Lol work the dog and feed him less huh?..............lol...........