1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The Tosa Debate

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pitbullfathead, Dec 8, 2014.

1. I have great admiration for what the Japanese accomplished in creating a fighting mastiff that suits their traditions, customs and rules.

But the rules of the game have to be brought into account with this breed as they create and evolve the breed into what it will do in a match.

The Tosa's fighting style has been refined by the Japanese and this exact fighting style is what the rules of their matches govern.

Please take a read;

Tosa fighting is very similar to Sumo wrestling, and follows similar rules. Led to the fight by silk ropes, the Tosas wear embroidered ceremonial robes which can cost $30,000 or more. The two dogs are placed (robe-free) in a gazebo-shaped ring ten feet in diameter in the presence of a chief judge, two assistant judges, and three or more examiners. The dogs lock heads and attempt to push each other out of the fighting area. No sanctioned Tosa-Ken fight is to the finish. The time limit is 30 minutes and typically the fights last no longer than ten minutes. Any barking or growling disqualifies the dog. The winning dog is not necessarily the one to attack more often or more viscously. Victory depends solely on the spirit of the fighter. If a dog has been dominated by the other dog for the entire duration of a fight, the winner still has yet to be decided. Failure in the fight is decided if the dog whines, groans, or gives up by attempting to run away from the other dog or due to sheer fatigue, is unable to get up again.

These dogs have evolved to fit these traditions and these rules.

Fighting for 30 minutes or less for well over a hundred years of selective breeding will not give a dog stamina or wind in a dog fight.

What about finishing abilities? If the breed has never been able to end the fight by their own accord how could their bodies and fighting style allow them to do so if left uninterrupted?

Cajun rules were adapted and implemented by hundreds and hundreds of years of trial and error. A battle at which both animals are brought to total exhaustion, total fatigue and still yet one dog can only prevail.

The American Pitbull Terrier evolved to be what it is today by generations being proved in this ultimate fashion. If Tosa's were superior then all jokes aside the history books would be re-written and we would be using Tosa's instead.

Its not about be prideful about what breed is better or from what country. What simply matters is what dog is the best and how do we make more of them? right?

Cajun rules are extremely simple. They don't benefit any style of fighting. Only the best dog wins. IMO

I am not in favour to the APBT, I have great respect and understanding of all fighting breeds. I spent countless years contemplating and researching day after day, scouring as much literature as I could to help zero in on what breed. My conclusion always led me back to the same answer.

But let me finish by stating this;

If Tosa's were the ultimate canine gladiator, don't you think people from all across the globe would have caught on by now. I mean money talks. If Tosa's were the match winners then I need to get a yard of them and start taking everyone's chips. It's been tried. And as it stands now in present day, the Tosa Inu lacks the finishing capabilities to keep it going when the body shuts down.

So listen carefully, GAMENESS. Don't look up the definition, don't settle for posted online video's. See it in the flesh because once you do, discussions like this need not get very deep.

~Canada~

2. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

might as well just "hook the chains up" as we use to say as youngsters..we would find out which of our trucks would out pull the other.. chain from hitch to hitch - chucked all kinds of gears and melted all kinds of tires.
    The toyotas could always play in the mud, but when you check their heart - ka bam boom something broke most of the time. I always said it was due to lean mfg, as America has adapted, our cars are throw aways now.
    pop up , deep left, i need more coffee - keystone - help me out here!!