1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The Urban Dogman..

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by SPFDOGS, May 28, 2008.

1. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

I dont trust the media. I don't know if there claims are true. 30 dogs in a basement shitting on each others heads is not cool at all. In any way. You can run a succesfull yard with way lower numbers. 30 dogs is a handfull out in the sticks. On chains!! In a basement!, that is ludacris. To each there own. Manny will probobly dissagree. The thought of 30 dogs Crated in a basement reminds me of one thing. Puppy peddlers who keep crazy numbers in there house with crates stacked on top of each other. Tea cup, toy,shitdoodle Breeders. We should expect more from the fraternity. A Bulldog deserves a better life. Take one out of the crate to work then retern him to the dungen to get pissed on for his reward???? Don't sit well with me at all. You want to keep 30 dogs fine. Nothing wrong with that. Wait untill you can get a home on some damn land. Big Game

2. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

I currently live and grew up in Detroit. I have been into bulldogs for 10+ years and I have seen my share of dogman trash and treasures in the city. Unfortunatley the trash seems to be the vast majority but the treasures do it ALL THE WAY RIGHT.

I try to imagine what some setups in New York (crate) city look like.

3. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Jeep the ones that were doing it all the way right. Did thay keep 30 plus dogs???

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I've seen 30+ dogs, done RIGHT.

It was luxury. LOL

Man was unemployed, and dedicated his entire day to his animals. The water was constantly topped, attached to the kennel to keep from spilling and soiling the bedding. Fed better than average food, "roomy" kennels. Cleaned up, and freshened bedding twice a day, and replaced it entirely every few days. Dogs were shampooed once a week, and walked or excersised in some way every day. All of this in a temperature controlled/sound proofed building, with exhausts to keep it from getting too humid or too much stench. Oh, I almost forgot the cool jams played on the radio for em. LOL

Puppy mill/peddler? Nope.

You wouldn't know who he was, doesn't advertise, and doesn't sell damn near anything. Doesn't sound like a puppy mill to me.

This is only one example of people doing it "right" since you thrown the number 30 dogs out. I try not to associate with those who don't make an attempt to do it "right".

As I said before, I've known countless more people with one animal who can't care for them properly. Number is relative to your situation.

Casperworldpeace likes this.
  5. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

^^^^^^^If the dogs are taken care of as stated above^^^^^^^^^
    Than I see nothing wrong with those living conditions. However I'm willing to bet that less than 1% of people that have 30 pluss dogs crated in a house take sutch good care of there bulldogs.

6. Damn, 14 makes it sounds so good I want move in there....lol

7. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  8. BullDozer

BullDozer Top Dog

Sounds like what I am gonna have one day rock... for sure. Until then just going to keep working and providing the best I can for them.

What is funny is I had a similar situation happen with my dog practicing on the springpole out back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  9. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

I went to the west side of Detroit - some people bred their dogs and could not sell all the pups. Ran out of money for dog food and there were 8 pups left at 4 months old. I was to pick them up and transport them to rescue. Didn't look like a really bad neighborhood and the houses looked taken care of. Went into the house, it was clean and there was a huge crate in the kitchen where the father of the pups was kept at night - blankets, toys and everything.
    Went through the kitchen and towards the basement, rounded the corner and opened the basement door. The stench of urine was overpowering. It was pitch black down there - no windows. They shined the flashlight looking for the light switch. I saw 8 pairs of eyes shining in the light, all crammed together in a 24 x 36 wire crate stuffed with straw. They hardly had room to piss on each other. They opened the crate door, and these malnourished pups came tumbling out. So sweet, each one greated us with kisses and then started crawling around on the piles of clothes and garbage and pissing on everything.
    I just wanted to get the hell out of there with those pups at that point. Grabbed them two at a time and put them in plastic crates in the back of the truck. The guy volunteered to show us his other dogs. He opened a door and turned on the light. There were 3 - two females and a male. Chained to the walls with no more than 3 feet of chain. Their coats looked like shit, nails the longest I'd ever seen. It was horrible and the look in the males eyes - poor dogs.
    I didn't want to start some crap in this guy's house - so I took the pups and got out of there.

If I had to keep a dog in the basement, well then I just wouldn't have a dog.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  10. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

Heartbreaking, Dtwo.

And just think, for the few horror stories we've heard here, there are hundreds more -- and hundreds of other dogs silently pleading in the cramped dark....

I'm glad you could do what you did for those pups...

Dreamer

11. cutt

cutt CH Dog

good thing you kept your composure D2..aint no tellin wut u wouldve done...good way to handle the situation

12. Suki

Suki Guest

awesome read! spending more of my life in the city, yup, i can relate on the lack of yard space.

:D~ awesome part~"Well as Im watching the dog hang from the tree this cop comes flying around the corner with his lights on and jumps out with his gun drawn..he takes a double look and is astaonished..Appearantly he had got a call that I was hanging the dog..He hung around watch my dog work the rope and asked where he could get a dog like that"...
    yup, they do steal your heart!

and 14rock, i agree~ a dog that's been on a chain, well, their pyhsique, is almost obvious/indicative of that: their definition, form, and physique cannot be compared...

GREAT read. tx for posting it. very interesting.

13. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

its not called crate city for nothing. if you know anything about the big city, know anyone with wellbred dogs you will see the full range. from a large co-own situation, with one main guy keeping 2-3 in good shape himself and 3-15 co-owned around the neighborhood with friends/kennel partners, to veteran well known breeders with basements stacked to the ceiling 3 crates high and 15 crate long rows, on both walls, with kennel runs outside in a small yard, some crated upstairs. you'll also see the fanxier with one or two on his own as well. from the small 1-2 owner, to the large 40-50 plus basements, its all represented in the city. some are good and well maintained, the majority suck.

14. One thing for sure....be it in the country or the city, we can all improve our dogs' way of living.:cool:

15. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

I havent seen 30+ dogs kept in a neighborhood situation, but ive seen 10-15 a few times. Ive been to a yard of 7-9 dogs and ALL were vicious manbiters right in the neighbood with neighbors 10ft to both sides. You couldnt even go in the backyard.

Knew of a dude who knew his dogs had babesia and was such a hater hed bring his dog just to give it to your dog. His shit would stop every time, the owner of the other dog would get excited cause his dog did well and it would end up dying a lil while later.

Ive seen 10+ dogs crated for 23 hr lockdown for years. Like they were in prison. Only reason they came out was to be worked or looked at.

The better urban set ups Ive seen were in isolated or remote areas of the city or suburbs.

16. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

WoW, That is some dirty S#it!. The babesia thing.

17. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

I have heard of a few "yards" in the city that consisted of 30+ dogs..
    I have seen my share of 10+ "yards" to know that msot of the time the situation isnt good..I do however have a few friends that keep around 10 or so ( 2-3 on chains,the rest get rotated)and to tell the truth,their basements are clean to the max,dogs are fed & watered like they are suppose to be,and cedar is the only smell in the air..I personally wouldnt keep dogs in crates,but to each is own..I have had as many as 6 on the yard (all on 12ft chains),and I usually dont like having that many..lol

Im suprised that dude you mentioned didnt get found in the weeds..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  18. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

19. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

"to each his own"...I hear that a lot.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's WRONG to keep dogs -- especially dogs bred for insanely high energy, athleticism and intelligence -- housed in crates.

Why the "to each his own" when it's clearly wrong? How do others learn it's NOT okay if everyone is telling them "to each his own". Take a stand, for crying out loud!

I would think the term "dogman" meant someone who knows the basics of animal husbandry...

Oh, well, I guess as long as they are "purpose-bred", it's okay, huh?

And to let you know I'm not playing favorites here, the "crate culture" is common in the dog show world too -- and I'll criticize it just as wrong there as well...

Dreamer

20. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

I agree that it is wrong to house dogs in crates,but who are you to tell people what to do with their animals?.I openly speak my mind on this as well as many other subjects that I dont agree with when it comes to these dogs,while talking dogs,but if someone doesnt have outdoor chain spots they do what they have to do..Again,I dont agree with this but it is what it is..

Take a stand?.
    You think the dog game is going to stop if you dont agree with how some keep their animals?.
    Any dogman that has any type of decency is not going to keep his mouth closed when he sees dogs being kept in deplorable conditions..Some listen..Some dont..What can you do?.Call the AC?. I think not..

One last time..I dont condone keeping dogs in crates,but I try to keep my nose in my own business..