1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Tips On Meeting Real Dogmen

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by CBRSALT, Feb 21, 2011.

1. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Heres my problem. I want to get out and meet good dogmen that have knowledge about the breed and good dogs. Ive seen a few people in my neighborhood that has pits, cant tell a whole lot about them to see if they are real apbt or staffs tho because they only walk them at night. But I dont want to get to talking to them and share with them about my apbt and then a few days later I come home and my dogs missing. Im aware of the adba shows and plan on attending one one day when I have time and xtra funds because theirs none that I saw near bham. Closest one was near central Fl and i found out too late to make the trip. Is there any apbt clubs near bham or in alabama? But is there a way to meet folks with good dogs without me worrying about mine being taken? I know everyone with dogs isnt like that but i guess im nervous about chancing it. And I know alot of people keep private about their dogs just like i do. Till i move outta this neighborhood mines gonna stay super low key. I was thinking bout asking the guys ive seen walking their dogs at night what kind of bloodlines their dogs are as a way to break the ice and see if their running with decent dogs and not any gotti/razorsedge mix breed crap. Sorry long post. Trying to make sure I covered everything.

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

not really a good away other than the shows and even then u dont really know who you are dealing with. The best advice i coul give is to ask someone what bloodline their dog is. 90% of the time you will here gatormouth bluenose or kobe and that will tell you all you need to know. just focus on reading all you can and dont jump in to fast. i did and i ended up making mistakes and owning dogs that i wasnt satisfied with

3. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

There is one (ADBA clubs) in GA. Around Atlanta, Also a a new one that they just had a show this past weekend in NW FL. About 45min west of Panama City.

There is an Alabama Bulldogger Assc Club near Huntsville.

4. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Not looking to getting another one till after we move. Not enough space at my current home. I guess when talking to someone I see out with a pit I dont want to get giddy like a lil school boy and share about my dog. But then I dont want to be asking someone with a pit alot of questions and they think im after their dog because I havent shared if i have one too. Makes sense?

5. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Thx cynthiaATL. Im going to check into both. Got some fam in Atl too.

6. BiggHemi

BiggHemi Pup

I don't think its an organized club but the Co-oP in Columbiana will be having a few more pulls this year. I will find out the dates and keep u posted. That's not too far From Bham

7. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Thats cool Bigghemi. Yea if you find out those dates let me know. I know exactly where columbiana is. Just rode through it Saturday goin to my friends house. I know he dont know about that club or he woulda told me when I was at his house with my dog. He dont have any pits but hes got pigs!! lol

8. BiggHemi

BiggHemi Pup

I got to go by there in the morning for feed so ill find out and post 2mrw nite

9. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

lol!!...dude, I've told u this before!...there are plenty of good dogmen around Ur area!...stop being scared and get off da porch!!...they will have a couple of shows in GA this year that I will be attending!!...but im going to tell u one more time, there are REAL DOGMEN that have REAL working apbt's in b'ham and all over Alabama!!....when u do meet a dogmen and u don't kno anybody I highly doubt they will want to get to kno u!!...u don't even kno how to meet ppl!...if somebody is walking a apbt u don't have to tell them u have a dog or wat bloodline Ur dog is to have a conversation!...whenever u find out that the ham has alot of good dogs Ur going to smack urself!!...buy hey do wat u do!!

10. Congoman

Congoman Big Dog

Well crush either you know or you don't know. There are enough in B'ham to where you wouldn't have to leave for a show. Thing is people don't really talk to newbies like that. It is what it is. Word of advice don't talk too much because the real ones will know you're green. Read as much as you can before asking 100s of questions.

11. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I think if you wait, read what you can, and learn what you can the right people will come along. There is no shortage of good dog people in the south :)

12. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

O ive been a reading. Been on this site so much its got my wife jealous. Lol. Now im working on geting me some good books that ive seen recomended on this site. But thx for all d info so far.

13. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

Lol!!... U already kno!!...it's some monsters in the ham!!....can't believe he's trying to go anywhere!!...its some serious camps in the ham!!

14. I ran into a cat the other day with a nice looking female and asked him what bloodline the dog was and was told that it was from the brindle family of champion pits. I started to laugh because it was the first time that I heard that one.

Read, converse and go out and around your area. The internet is certainly not going to lead you to the promised land in this endeavor. As far as dogmen of today, you are going to have to get really lucky to develop a relationship with someone noteworthy. The shows are where you are going to have to start.

Don't go to the pet shows either. The one in my area a few weeks ago was filled with Bully Pits.

15. The Brindle Line of Champions are good dogs.:D whatsup Lake?

OP just luck I suppose, Nobody is doing much worth a keep anyways now a days, Go to the shows and see who shows up. Mainly you will meet washedup has beens and never will bes their so prepare for disapointment.
    Try not to bash the Gotti breeders It annoys them and a professional dogman dosnt want to be known as an annoying guy right? friends are good to know, I know a few guys that know true doggers that dogs are blue as the sky

anyway I see a trend them people(blue jackets) use to get to know doggers is Buy one from them. Nothing says friendship like a huge wad of money i suppose

16. duckmike

duckmike Big Dog

most people like to talk about their dogs and most people won't get offended if you ask about their dogs like say" nice dog i really like it " if they're friendly and want to talk you'll find out right there and then you can broach the subject of how its hows it bred. if they don't want to talk or just keep walking well you didn't waste that much time remember nothing ventured nothing gained.good luck

17. Cadibuck

Cadibuck Big Dog

Some of those "washed up has beens" have forgot more about gamedogs than most will ever learn...seen more than most will ever see..and done more for bulldogs than most will ever do! Not to mention the things rookies would do for their contacts..Thats just my opinion though..I am NOBODY!
    To the OP, get out to shows and continue doing homework..you'll be alright.

18. i know i know they forgot more then we will ever know.
    Id love to sit around and listen to a bunch a stories and lies I already heard from bill and don about this dog did that and that dog did this and hes bred this way and this outdated keep is how we did it,
    but how does that help? what does this do for me today?
    Id rather listen to someone active vs the old paper hanging timers because they are just no longer relevant but i apreciate them creating the foundation but thats just simply were it ends, a thank you for the blood lines.

19. the path to being Dormant
    you gotta love it

20. My bitch came from the ham/ fayete co.