1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Too Game??? is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Bobby Rooster, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DrGonnzoe

DrGonnzoe Pup

I think that a dog can be to game for its own good. Like if its a small dog that you take hog hunting with you its not going to give up even if it doesnt have a chance. So I think there Might be such a thing as to game. idk.

2. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

Now that is a really good post I am so sick of seeing good dogs showing promise being ruined by being forced to hunt to early...

3. Ricky1969

Ricky1969 Big Dog

I think that people try to inbreed too much thinking they will get more game but really they are whats messing up the breed by making man bitters and crippled up dogs

4. dogman82

dogman82 Pup

I dont think u can ever get em too game... I think u can have em "gamer then most" and its easy to see da difference.. Ones like this u hold on too wit both hands

5. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I disagree. Respectfully. It isn't the inbreeding too much that's the problem. In my book, inbreed them 'til they grow two tails if necessary to get the job done better. The problem lies with those willing to inbreed heavily, but unwilling to cull that way. Proper, rigorous, knowledgeable inbreeding forces the cream and the crap to the top faster than any other breeding strategy. If you know what you're looking for, breed for it, breed for it some more, and when done closely and wisely, those undesirable traits will also show up prominently, you remove them from the pool and double up on those that pass muster. But, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  6. Jrouble

Jrouble Big Dog

There is no such thing as too game, and I'm going to use the above quote as an example.

That dog, being "too game" isn't a problem at all, its YOU that has the problem as a shitty handler/owner, by not identifying the issue at hand and rectifying it or not letting it occur.

There is no such thing as too game for someone who knows what they are doing, and there is no such thing as too game for a dog.

THERE IS such thing as too game for someone inexperienced to handle, recognise, channel, identify, use constructively etc.

What I'm trying to say is, being dead game is never a bad thing ever... unless you can't handle it. The dog sure as shit can, or he/she wouldn't be that way to begin with.

7. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Honestly, I don't agree with the way most of the handlers overseas do their dogs but DAMN! If any animal is too game it's gotta be this little dog here.

http://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v72036852dc

8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

"Would "Not Caring" = "Dumb"?" now if you don't understand what that mean do you really think this is something you should be trying to start a thread about ?

9. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Ben it was a question to ask, NOT because I don't know, I have given 0 amount of input in this thread. I'm letting others express...

10. DrGonnzoe

DrGonnzoe Pup

what would you guys consider this, Dumb owner, or just unlucky?
    [​IMG]

11. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

I'd call that a effed up pooch.....

12. AK47

AK47 Pup

I believe a gamedog, rooster & people can be " too game" and such kind of gameness can be reporduced thru intelligent breeding..

gamefowl industry in our country is very legal & derbies are held almost every day and when you see one of these derbies, " too game" roosters are very common here & the higher the stakes/pot, the more often you see " too gamefowls".

In gamedogs, I have seen 2 "too game dogs" but not my dogs. The dog died after 4-6 hrs of contact... Im hoping that I can own one in my lifetime..:)

In people, lol, have you heard of the bandits/terrorists of Mindanao who will kidnapped foreigners & ask for huge ransom? Some of them will fight up to their last bullet & decapitate the heads of their enemy.. lol

13. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

You cannot have to much gameness as thats what we strive or should strive for first and formost . To cut a long story short you very seldom see messed up gamedogs when family,line or interbreeding or what ever you want to call it when its done for breeding working dogs.You do see it in show breeds that are bred for looks and standards are set for various breeds.When you start breeding soley for standards set not only are you breeding OUT gameness you are also weakening the animals as you are not breeding out weak genes . Look at all the "working" breeds that are bred and shown at the various kennel club shows its pathetic to see the way this breeds have gone,can these show dogs now do the job of work they were originally bred for ? The answer is NO!!!! Breeding gamedogs soley for looks it will in the end be no different to the kc showbreeds of today.For over two hundred years these dogs have been bred to do what they do best and come in all shapes and sizes,not to be standardised and paraded around a show ring.

14. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

I think this is a hell of a post

15. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

great post too

16. damon

damon Banned

If anybody here as any of those too game dogs can I have them?

17. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

just an opinion u may or may not take seriously as i hold little authority on the subject, but i dont believe a dog can be too game as thats the trait that they are supposed to be bred for, and is the trait that gives the bulldog his "essence".
    BUT i believe that it is up to the handler to use his common sense & better judgement and know when to pick up his dog!!!!
    or else your going to have what they call a "DEAD" gamedog!

18. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I have definitely seen this too many times and its a sad sad thing! Its a shame that Dogmen aren't as game as the dogs they keep. Imagine the gene pool that would still be around today...:confused:

19. Bink

Bink Pup

There was a post earlier saying a dead game dog was never a bad thing, the dog can handle it?
    A dead game dog doesnt have to handle it.A dead game dog not milked or bred earlier is a shame.
    Too game like other posters have said doesnt really exist, dogs not being picked up after clearly proving gameness too long does.

20. venom

venom Top Dog

Self preservation shouldn't be of top priority, that's the handlers job. A fighter is suppose to fight til its no longer physically possible, the towel comes from the corner when the people that care about you think you've had enough. I don't know to much about roosters, i have some but not them kind of roosters lol So i couldn't tell you. but the same probably applies.