1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Toy Kong?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Taz18, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

I bought one of these for my male today at petsmart. I bought the black one they said there much stronger then the red ones. So i was wondering what are something that you guys put in these kong's..treats,food,peanut butter,etc......any opions would be great.Thanks

2. CB

CB CH Dog

I put peanut butter in mine.

3. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

I believe peanut butter is a popular choice.

4. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

thanks guys ya i tried it today with peanut butter and he seemed to like it he had fun with it.thanks

5. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

I put a tiny bit of peanut butter over the little hole and then pack in some liver treats mixed with a little peanut butter and then more peanut butter over the big hole. She gets that when we are gonna be out for a few hours...so she has something entertaining to do while we are gone...We don''t pack the kong too often as peanut butter is fattening, if she gets too much she starts blowing up like a balloon...

6. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I also use peanut butter, they also make treats especially for kongs. I've used cheese whiz a couple of times, but only as a special treat.

7. Attila

Attila Guest

hmm I better lay off the peanut butter I think that is my problem then.[​IMG] I use a piece of bread with a little tuna juice on it stuff it in there. Not soaking it just getting the smell there. But with Baby if I give her a toy she will chew it even if it doesnt have any thing in it. The kong is the only toy that lasts with her. She is distructive with toys. If I give her a stuffed toy or she happens to snatch one of the other dogs toys I will find it all over the house. She would probably chew on rocks if I let her.

8. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I have a Kong, but have never put anything inside of it. Do you give it to the dog in the house or outside. Was wondering, as it seems that outside it would attract ants, and inside my wife would beat me for the mess!! Suzie loves for me to throw it and she'll go and get it and bring it to me, then we play tug of war till I get it from her. Every once in a while command her to let go of it, so that she'll always know that sometimes she must. Hate her to get ahold on something that wasnt good for her or anyone else and not be able to get her off of it.
    I agree, this is one of the strongest toys I have ever had. They tear everything else up, no the Kong, at least not yet.
    I do however have a female whose grandfather is 'Munster's Monster' and is supposed to have a tremendous bite. She is about 9 months old and it is looking as to be true!! Gave her a tire and in a few days the bottom tread was ripped out!

Has anyone tried those firehose toys?
    J

9. i have used cheeze whiz or peanut butter and they really enjoyed it alot,they kept at it for hours and i never heard a peep from them.

10. Suki

Suki Guest

I personally use peanut butter as well.

As for the liver treats, I remembered reading about liver and vitamin A problems somewhere. Can't find exactly where, but here is some info about it:

Many dog treats and prepared foods contain liver so it may surprise you to find liver on the bad foods list. In small amounts liver is good for your dog, but if the liver intake is too high it can cause nutritional problems because liver has a high content of vitamin A. Consumption of this vitamin in large amounts can lead to vitamin A toxicity, or hypervitaminosis A. If your dog eats raw liver or consumes three servings of cooked liver a week it could lead to bone problems. Feeding liver to a dog taking Vitimin A supplements can lead to an overdose of Vitamin A.

Symptoms of hypervitaminosis A are deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss and anorexia. If left unchecked, hypervitaminosis A has in some cases caused death.

I know it's not common that liver is given in large quantities, but this is just a "heads up".