1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Training colar?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Aceman, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Its a plastic version of the prong/pinch collar. I wouldn't use that particular one because of a general dislike for plastic in dog collars. (Plastic clips and stuff are fine for puppy collars, but not for adults IMO.) Plastic can get brittle under the right conditions, and is generally not as reliable for these guys. That said, regular (metal) prong collars can be an effective training aid, used correctly.

Also, I don't know about the difference between Canadian and US dollars, but here a metal prong costs much less than that. The prong I have from Petsmart cost $7.99 through their website.

1 person likes this.
  3. Attila

Attila Guest

I agree that plastic is not a wise idea.

4. MASON

MASON Big Dog

Agree with Bahamutt. You would be better off using a prong/pinch collar. They are very effective!

5. jessiepbg

jessiepbg Big Dog

To me it looks like someone wanted to hide the prongs from view. It's a good idea, but as lots of people already stated, plastic is liable to break. If you are looking to hide the prongs, just put a bandana over the collar, but if you want the same collar minus the spikes, buy a martingale collar. These are about the ones I use: http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441806378&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025650&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1090599022083. I've had good luck with those with everything from a shepherd down to a small APBT. If fitted right, they can often be just as effective as a prong collar, but without looking like torture devices.(coincidentally, the ones in the picture are not fitted right, the collar should sit right behind the ears at the very top portion of the neck. This is where you get the best control of the dog.) That said, there are some dogs that respond better to the prong collars.

1 person likes this.