1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Traumatized pup?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by ducho13, Jul 11, 2007.

1. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

I got this Sixbits pup about 2 months ago, pup was 4 mths. when I got him. He was very shy and I figured it was because of the transition. Everytime I went outside he would bark and run away from me (he is in a fenced yard all by himself). I had to chase him around in order to be able to take him to the vet. Two months later he still will not let me touch him, any time I get close to him he runs away and barks & growls at me. When people come to my gate or walk close to the fence he rushes at them barking ferociously. When I corner him he lets me pet him, wags his tail and is very docile but as soon I stop petting he bolts from me. I am not sure what is wrong with him or what I should do. Any opinions or comments?

2. koening

koening Top Dog

i am not an expert on this but i would say that pup is a afraid and shows signs of fear agression. he is still young and you could fix it . i would suggest you try to spend a little more time with him, socialize him with other dogs and people, because if you keep him locked up you are only isolating him from the rest of the world, and if he doesn't get to learn and know about what's going on around him, he will be afraid, and try to defend himself. build more confidence with the pup and i bet you will change, and show you an other side of him.

McNally*1 likes this.
  3. simms

simms CH Dog

I suggest putting him on a chain.that way he can not run from you ....Another thing you might want to do for awhile is make him eat next to you. Wouldnt hurt for him to learn to eat from your hand.

I would also start walking him on the leash, learn to stroke his ego. Find somthing that stimulates him through play ....like a ball or rope, flirt pole.

The concept of making him ingage and conect for the basics of survival.

4. FourCorners

FourCorners Banned

First off you need to bring the pup inside and not make him a outside dog just yet. Bring him in let him sleep with you let him be by your side while your watching t.v and doing whatever. If he trys to run away from you then put him on a leash so he cant. Like someone said let him eat out of your hand. This pup isnt getting socialized enough, If it doesnt get better in a couple months then i would cull him.

5. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

You dont have to bring the dog inside to socialize it. Some people dont want dogs in their house. I agree with Simms. Put him on a chain and once he's chain broken and he knows he cant run away I bet he'll come around. He'd probably be excited to see some one after being chained for a while by himself. Just my opinion. YIS, D.

6. FourCorners

FourCorners Banned

What makes you think that dog wont run in a circle all day away from you. You would have to grab the chain at the the base of the axle and drag the pup to you which aint going to make him like you even more. The way the dog acts right now the only thing i would do is bring him inside to let him be near you all the time. If you dont want the dog inside then pitch a tent out in the back and be closer to him out there. Its all up to this person on how much he wants the pup to change.

7. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

I know how ya feel, but the only way to fix this is to spend extra work if you really want this pup to be a normal one, or at least you can say you tried everything on your hand.

Get the pup inside house, he'll need a room for himself and if possible get a cage or something where he can sleep and not destroy your room, then you need slowly to introduce new things to him on a positive way, EVERYTHING, from a simple shoe to your TV, sounds and everything will make him scared at first...

Few weeks ago i was about to watch a dvd movie, so i press OPEN and the dog went nuts when the disk went out lol, he ran away like if i opened hell's door... i had to slowly get him around me, and repeat the OPEN / CLOSE while petting him and telling him sweet things, i dunno if he had a trauma with DvD's or what, hes very confident on home (after few weeks of hard work) but that simple thing made him very very afraid.

Some dogs will adapt quick, treats and sweet words will work but you'll need lots of patience, if you dont have enough time to spend on this pup i recommend you to give him away to someone that understand and have worked with fearfull pups.

Next thing would be introduce him to people, get some kids if you can to pet him, i go to a park and now with summer there is people with bikes,running and kids everywhere.

I keep my dog on leash and halty, sometimes kids come to touch him and when they do i tell him sweet things, and let kids give some treats to him... at first he refuses ...he doestn like new people but after a while he likes it and when the kids goes his way he wants to go behind and now hes the one that wants to be petted...

I wish you good luck and be ready for some extra-socialization or you'll end with a fear bitter.

8. simms

simms CH Dog

Bribe him ,bribe him with his food and everytime you walk into his area.

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Have you ruled out medical causes for his behavior?

Puppies can have fear stages, but afraid of the owner after two months of living with him? Coupled with aggressive displays towards people outside the fence? If he doesn't come through this after a while, I personally would take a hard look at his temperament. Fearful dogs can be more unpredictable and dangerous than flat-out aggressive dogs. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

10. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I hope you have a lot of patience, because you're going to need it. I'd either crate the dog in the house, or put him outside in a kennel no bigger than 10' x 10' or on a six-foot chain. He wouldn't be eating unless he was eating out of my hand, and he'd be leash-walked as much as possible -THIS IS IMPORTANT! When he wasn't confined by his crate, kennel, or chain, he'd be on a leash attached to my hand at all times. A dog like this doesn't need to be having the run of the yard or house until he's more comfortable with his owner. I wouldn't interact with him from outside his chain spot or through the mesh of his kennel. When he was petted or fed or likewise, it would be from the axle of his chain spot, from inside his kennel, or on the leash, period.
    If you slack on this, you'll truly wish you hadn't in the future. Socialize him now before he's set in his ways, and whatever you do, DON'T get him another dog for a companion. If he has another dog for a buddy, then he'll have no use for you.

Best of luck.

11. Phebes

Phebes Guest

I foster pups. Just pups, they are my speciality. Housebreaking, crate training and socializing with humans as well as other dogs and cats. This is one of the easiest problems to fix in a pup. FourCorners is right. The dog needs consistency and someone to trust. Make that someone you by keeping the dog with you all the time at first and crate break the dog. All the pups I get start out in my bedroom in their first crate. Makes it easier on the dog cause they can hear you breathing and in my husbands case snoring so they know they are not alone. No matter the age from 8 weeks to 6 months they all drag a lease around. The first few weeks all potty stops are done on a lease with me walking them. So they not only have to rely on you for food but to relieve themselves as well. Do yourself a favor teach the dog the potty command. My adult dogs even now if I let them out and say go potty they will squeeze out a few drops if that is all there is. I just love a dog that relieves themselves on command. All things come from you. Only give praise for good behavior do not punish bad behavior. Lots of treats. If she walks up to you give her a treat. Any time she does something good give praise and a treat. Before you know it she will be your new very best friend.

12. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

There is alot of good info in all of the above posts. though some are different than others the most important thing that is being repeated is that you need to spend ALOT of time with this dog. reagardless of if it is inside or outside. it needs to be confined to a smaller space than what you have indicated. In order to bring this dog out of its shell it needs to need you. once the bond is there there is nothing that these dogs wont do to please you. You may want to rethink the time that you spent with this dog in the 2 months that you have had him for. What kind of training have you done within those 2 months? Have you just put him in the yard and thrown food to him once a day? Have you spent every avaliable hour with this dog since you aquired him? Where did this pup live for the first 4 months of his life? kennel or in house? all these things need to be factored in to find out what the problem is. You know if you were chasing me around the yard I would probably run too. how long do you have to chase him? What are your actions after catching him? do you praise him, or beat him with a hose for running? lol. lets get some more info to better help you with this pup.

13. BullDozer

BullDozer Top Dog

Some good info in these posts. I like the posts by Rockstar and Phebes. It all comes down to how dedicated you are to this dog and yes it will take time but not if you find something that will stimulate the opposite emotion of fear in the dog. I had a dog that sounds way worse of a fear case than this and after only two short years he is almost what you would call a "normal" dog. Matter of a fact as a pup we had to eliminate a crate all together because he would hide in the corner and very hard to get out without making it more of a scary experience for him. He would shit in his cage with the door open before coming out of it. Well, rockstar is right about other dogs. The closer he becomes to the other dogs, the less he will depend on/trust you. I would have a lead on him permanently for about 6 months - max six feet he should be away from you at all times. Put a couple O rings around the house in spots you spend alot of time at (ie the computer desk, couch, bedpost) so that you can easily secure the dog at its station right at your side. Walks are very beneficial as well as TALKING TO YOUR DOG. I find a good bathing goes along way and is a time dog and man make a great connection. Try and get the dog to work a flirtpole or take him to an environment where his fears will draw him closer to you. Don't forget any punishment you can give to the dog will be setting YOU back a distance so try to understand you have a "special" dog now... lol. AND GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  14. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

i sure do hope he turns around for you,and i would take Rockstars advice to try.but this dog sounds to me like a screwball,i hope i am wrong in fact i hope every one here prays that i am wrong but my gut feeling from what you described is this dog is a screwball.not saying it needs to be culled right away work with it a bit because it ain't bit yet.but i wouldn't put it past this dog to bite you or someone else down the road maybe in the not to distant future.work with it but keep a very very close eye to the dog and do what you have to if it comes to that point.