1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

tri's?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by kanediggity, Feb 25, 2007.

1. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

ok i have a question, how many dogs based on history were tri-colored? i realize there were some but i was just wondering if they outnumbered blue dogs, everyone is so easily sold on the tri colored dogs now and so quick to say blue dogs are mutts, or worthless, and when a tri colored dog comes up here they get alot of praise it is just a question i have been pondering, just because you know as well as i do that tri's (black and tans. blue and tans, and all that stuff) are being sold for way more money than they are worth,) and all because of color, im not at all saying that all blue dogs and all tri colored dogs are even in the same catergory as bad dogs just wondering why it has never been brought up here that tris are no better than a blue dog anymore with everyone breeding for that color.

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I'm currently reading Frank Rocca's book, and he goes into quite a bit of detail about the Black & Tans, posting a few well-written articles, and offering up some of his own knowledge. If you are truely instresed in getting to the bottom of it, perhaps this is something to think about puchasing.

One member comes to mind, with a few B&T's and tri-colors, who breeds a line where these are not uncommon. As far as I know, her pups prices do not vary depending on color, as you claim we know "as well as you do". People have fad-bred around nearly every color imaginable, don't lump dogs into "the same category as bad dogs" simply because some idiots breed for the particular color and jacked up prices. This goes for any color of dog, even an honest blue dog!

Hell, why not claim merle is just as worthless as blue dogs, because they are fad bred? Yet again, another member here has quite a few, who will defend to the death they are honest, pure-bred dogs, who were ruined by peddlers.

We both know the can of worms you are potentially opening, so be careful with it. It's not a good idea to undermine any color, simply because it is/was a fad. Color means squat, when it comes from good dogs, bred for the "right" reasons.

"Color mine game, the rest is worthless" :D

3. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

Not sure who you were making your remarks about 14Rock but if it was me then I will be glad to go into more detail.

First we rarely sell pups maybe 1 or 2 every few years, and this is we do only when it is absolutely necessary for space issues and 100% of the time to close friends or kennels recommended to me (which rarely pay a dime, lol) they are not handed off randomly to the first person with cash in their pockets.

Also we have never sold one b&t due to the fact that I am afraid of the fact that my dogs will become part of a fad and will be bred strictly for color. This is not their original intent and purpose and should not be a factor in anyone's breeding program. It is simply something that occurs in our line and has for as long as the line has been around. It also occurs in a few other lines on a semi-regular basis including Hammond's (he also gets alot of black over brindles) & Wildside's.

This is a color that goes back all the way to some of the original crosses used to produce the dog we know today as the APBT, it has come down thru time and is in no way a mix or cross bred animal (now I can only speak for my dogs and those others lines that I mention, there are people as we all know that will do anything to mass produced these "rare" lol, and hard to find colors). It is simply a color that surfaces more in some lines than others and so far has not been mass produced. I personally don't feel that they should even be talked about in the same way as the blues and not because I feel all blues are crossed (I have personally seen a true blue APBT), but it is a fact that the majority are. If we get to the point that there are breeders out there breeding for this particular trait solely, as this is not something I have personally noticed to be an issue yet other than the blue breeders that are breeding for tri, then that my friend will be a sad day.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  4. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

I think sorrells have a few black and tans

5. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

The new tri's
    [​IMG]

6. Pits_Rock

Pits_Rock Pup

What the hell is that? It looks like a really ugly mutt to me! Look, his/her legs are barely longer than the dude's ankle. What did they breed that with a welsh corgy?

7. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

^^^^^^^^^^^^^now thats UGLY!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Thank you Ga, for giving your input on this thread. Yes, you were the member I was alluding to with honest B&T's ;) I did not know that you wont place them outside your yard however to avoid exploitation, and that, only furthers the point that it is not a fad color by many. Thank you :)

Lethal-that is one ugly dog,and its a shame it was bred, and in all likelihood, being bred because of the "size and RARE color" LOL. It helps alot in this discussion, but lets keep the comment civil, as far as I know the owner of that dog is not here to defend themselves.

9. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

i see i worded that wrong in a few places i didnt mean to offend anyone. i was just saying that tri are becoming more and more sought after and was wondering what people think about this becoming as bad as the "blue dogs". not saying the dogs are bad, just the overbreeding for this color and not pointed to anyone here just in general. i just thought i would start a topic so sorry about that. i will just read and not try to start anymore topics lol. try anyway lol

10. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

Do noy hesitate to start any discussion, :) My take on the whole breeding for color issue is that, no matter what the color, it is wrong plain and simple. When you breed for anything other than to better the breed and produce true to type honest dogs you are nothing more than a peddler.

14rock likes this.
  11. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

very true, i also wanted to say i in no way was referring to your dogs lol. i didnt even think of it when i posted that. i was talking about the ones that only breed for that color, not taking into account of the actual dog behind the color. i guess this is what was referred to as fad color of the time. im not going to lie i like the color of the tri's but im in no way going to acquire a dog based on that alone. and i was also kind of looking for history on them which you brought up thanks for that. just curious about them so i thought i would ask.

12. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

kane: I think this link may have some of the answers you are looking for:

http://www.wildsidekennels.com/articles/black_tan_stats.htm

14rock: I think I may have been the person you were referring to when you were discussing the person who has merles. I just wanted to clear up 2 quick points.

1: I do not have a few merles. Out of a 10 dog yard, only 2 are merle. Now I have had several merles over the years, but the make-up of my yard as a whole is has always been non-merle.

2: I do NOT hold the opinion that all merle "APBTs" are purebred. Some may indeed be mixed. But I believe some are pure bred as well.

I just wanted to clarify that.

GApits: I understand why you do not to let any tris go. I had to do the same thing w/ my merles. I kept all my merles for myself & if I had to sell them over 90% of them were sold them off as s/n pets. The main reason I did this was b/c I did not want them to end up in the hands of someone like H. Madison! But a lot of good that did. Merle still got in the hands of a fad breeder & still was ruined. Sometimes it makes you wonder why you even try at all. :(

But back to the subject of tris - I think they are beautiful & if I had the chance to get one I would, provided the pup was from a quality breeder & was off quality parents.

A lot of fanciers would rather die than to admit it, but we all have our favorite colors, as well as colors we dislike. We all preach that color shouldn't make a difference in picking a pup & it shouldn't - but we all really know it sometimes does. ;)

I see it all the time w/ my Zebo dogs. Supposed game dog fanciers call to inquire about a pup & one of the first things they ask me is if I have any black ones. Black Zebo dogs are favored over the reds or brindles b/c Zebo was black.

WSK admitted they used to pick black Bandit pups b/c Bandit was black & I knew some Jeep fanciers who chose buckskins b/c Jeep was buckskin. On the flip side of the coin I have met MANY fanciers who will downgrade or even flat out refuse to own a blue or a merle soley based on the dog's color.

O well, such is the way of the world!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  13. hm26a.jpg Here's a pic or 2 of a few Tri's I've had also check my avatar
    Newton
    k6.JPG

14. my old dog call named Adolf
    My dogs were "Adolf"

[​IMG]

15. other tri color pits (not my dogs)

Whiskey

[​IMG]

Alligator Lady

[​IMG]

Saki

[​IMG]

16. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

17. Some great lookin dogs, My old dog in the bottom Pic (KATANA) was 2 weeks shy of his 15th birthday when I had to put him to sleep
    Game Bred but never matched, a lot of heart in a small package
    Newton

18. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

triz were introdused when the terrier blood infused in them and when u breed them its hard to get

19. thekinggggggg.JPG This is my tri-color.i do not breed for color.He was like this.like his character more as his color:D
    3534gg5.jpg
    theking3.jpg

20. old goat

old goat CH Dog

girl , you can look at him and see he's a hard worker and was'nt bred for color . look how thick his front legs are . what is his weight ?