1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Understanding the Carpet Mill by Hunterman

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Vicki, May 25, 2014.

1. Jdll13

Jdll13 Big Dog

So for those of you who currently have or have used carpet mills, if you were gonna buy one today which one would you buy?

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq7h6nQmKoM

This is the mill I build and use. (sort of biased) It must be turned like any other carpet mill but and at lower speeds/slower paces it has to be driven against resistance. At higher speeds/faster paces the dog can open up and go all out with full range of motion.

I need to do a newer video. This female was 8 or 9 years old and it was 95 plus that day. One leg of the mill was on a drop cord so there is some wobble.

The key to the carpet mill is it's smoothness which is different from free-ness or free spinning. The resistance must not be to the point the carpet bunches up behind the foot as the dog moves it. If it bunches up as it passes the surface to the end roller that is not smooth operating. The resistance or the free-ness depends on the carpet, the sliding surface, the end rollers and the tension of the carpet itself. It can be a hard turning/high resistance mill and still be smooth operating. It can be very free and fast/low resistance and still operate smoothly. And the opposite is true as well, it can be as free and easily turned as any slat mill per se, but if the carpet is bunched up and not laying flat as it crosses the surface it will be a rough go for the dog. Usually it will be noticed in mis-steps, and skip steps trying to get back to something flat to run on.

Basically a carpet mill is not a carpet mill is not a carpet mill. They are all different in their own ways. Very individualistic. S

3. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Thats All True Slim , Question How did you Build that Turntable ?

4. slim12

It's basically a mobile home axle with 'spokes' welded to make a circle. I then added 2X6 wood to the steel spokes to extend the diameter to just under 15 feet. I covered it with plywood and then carpet.

It was a 'just to see if I can do it thing' and then it turned out to be really nice. It turns a lot more free than I expected. I did not factor in a brakes system. I have to put my hands on it and bring it to a slide stop. Burned thru a set of leather work gloves in a few weeks stopping it.

It works well. S

5. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

LMAO! Nothing like a prototype to let ya know what ya forgot.

6. slim12

I guess I thought the it would be more of an effort for the dog to turn it this it would be easier to stop. The dog can go just about all out and the table keeps up just the same.

If I spin it myself and walk away it will turn for three or four minutes. Not a whole lot of resistance. Works well. S

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Most carpet mills are made by hobbyist of performance bred dogs and known mostly by other fanciers and not the general public. Postmandans custom carpet mills are fine example but he is retired.

To the general public its not about which one would they buy but which ones are readily available to the general public on a mass market world wide scale as there are not many carpet mill makers out there as the demand from the general public for a carpet mill is not that great. Fine example for the general public would be the Grand Carpet mills that can be shipped right to your door via UPS anywhere in the world.

8. Jdll13

Jdll13 Big Dog

Thanks for your answers.

9. slim12

I have used a lot of different carpet mills over the years. They can all serve a purpose. The work has to be individualized to the combination of the dog and the mill. Not every dog is the same and not every mill is the same. When the right amount of work on the right dog just about any carpet mill is a prized possession.

My buddy bought a Grand Carpet mill some years back. We had a little combine going so the mill could be used by as many as three or four dogs per day, as we always had something going. The lighter dogs did very well on the Grand but the heavier dogs (high 40's and up) it was more of a struggle. Either the belt or the sliding surface could not handle the weight. We used up the original belt and the replacement belt in one year. That does not seem like a lot of service but there were a lot of dogs doing a lot of time on that mill. We may have over worked it as I know a few others that have used the same Grand for a number of years, pretty much working one dog at a time.

From there we bought a Colby mill. I liked it a lot. It is a great for low end power. It can really give a dog the power to drive. It is a true carpet mill in every since of the word. The only drawback is that although the dog can go all out on the Colby it is not with full range of motion. He is not striding out as far because he has to really drive the mill.

From there I started experimenting with my own mills. I had a ton of failures. The first frame had so many holes from different rollers, different positions, different axles, different heights, etc. etc. The end of the mill looked like it was hit with buck shot. I experimented with different carpets and different sliding surfaces. All this til I hit the combination that I use today. The version I use today can be built for less than $150, usually around $125 as wood prices vary from area to area.

I would like to try one of Postman Dan's mill as the videos look like it will do a fine job.

Big fan of the carpet mill. S

10. @ slim12? How many times have you been in the box with a dog that was conditioned on a carpetmill? I can say without any exaggeration I have better than 60 in the fast lane, NOT OUT BEHIND THE WOODSHED. I have found that you have very little DEEP knowledge to back up what you are saying. Mad&Skip were using the carpetmill when nobody was using one, If you don't believe me just ask the Bellon Club, Floyd Boudreaux, Jerry Holcomd (Irish Jerry) just to name a few. PS

11. slim12

12. slim12

These are just a few of the dogs that I have experience with in the past.

You should be proud of your 60 dog in the fast lane accomplishment. And I won't need to check your reference list because, 1. it is not needed and 2.,and mostly I could care less.

Since this is a learning forum maybe you should give some insight on the carpet mill. Not the sales pitch, but the insight. I, like most of the people here, are always willing to learn.

With that said, move beyond what I do not know and start posting what you do. S

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

can't see anything slim .

14. slim12

The third pedigree, Chloe, was out of Fat Bill's Miss Two Eyes to McGhee's Loca.

15. slim12

I am not sure how to fix it. Find a pedigree you have access to and change the ID number at the end. I am not the best a copy and paste. S

16. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

I got one of the Grand carpet mills, solid mill. I will be getting a Colby in a few months. From the few carpet mills I been around they all run drastically different from each other.

17. slim12

Very true. S

18. allbiz00

allbiz00 Pup

Colby is readily available to the general public, very reasonably priced, and built well.

Attached Files:

19. I don't discuss the things I have payed with blood to learn. That knowledge is private. We lost 7 out of 60+ matches. I can say there is a lot of confusion, out there, about shaping a dog right.

20. slim12

Great answer.

I do not feel like anything was given to me either but I would not cut down another unless I was willing to put something of value out there.

I only post what I have personally experienced. I do not post other's names, nor do I need to be referenced for a given subject. Either I have personally experienced it and make a post, or I just move on.

I can also say there is a lot of confusion out there as well. Someone with your experience and expertise could most definitely clear some of that up. I'd appreciate some knowledge as well. S