1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Vitamins and Eneergy supplements

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by PIT_DOMINATION, Jul 31, 2006.

1. PIT_DOMINATION

PIT_DOMINATION Big Dog

i was wondering you guys would give me a list of all the Vitamins and Energy supplements that you thought where good and any other supplements for coat shine and etc...

2. lil_bit807

lil_bit807 Big Dog

Cod liver oil for the coat is what I was told.

3. We don't use any unless we have too! Our dogs' skin coat and energy is great just on the food we feed them! But if you must use them, I know that fish oil is good for them, and there is this waxy liquid stuff, I cant remember the name.....you put it in their food and they say it help increase "shine" only!

4. PIT_DOMINATION

PIT_DOMINATION Big Dog

well i dont need it. i just wanted to have a list to come to if i ever did. plus i thought it would be good for people to know.

5. asaj

asaj Big Dog

A good diet is the best, make sure you check your dogs food before you add any vitamins. I have all my dogs on a raw diet, but this is what I use:

Vitamin C, many say that dogs dont need it ,but many holistic pet care proffesionals recomend it.I give mine 500 mg of natural vitamin C , 4 times/week.

Kelp powder, a source of many trace minerals, 1/2 tsp. / day.

Salmon oil, some say that cod liver oil is not good for dogs, I have not found anything that back it up. So I use both.

Unpasteurissed apple cider vinegar, a few drops every day. I infuse it with garlic, but I got feed the garlic.

I also feed them ginseng, astragalus, ginko and nettle.Week one they get ginseng and ginko,week two they get astragalus and nettle, week three they get off.And them I start on week one again.
    Every 6 month I have them on "detox", one week each time, I give them milkthistle seed and danderlion. Make sure they drink a LOT of water.
    And I fast them the day before.

For their coat I make a strong infusion of chamomille and use it as the last rinse. DO NOT USE IF YOUR DOG IS WHITE!!!!!! it will temporary make the dogs coat yellow!! Been there, done that! LOL!( with my friends dog!)

This is what I do and use, always do your research before you start with any vitamins or supplements. What works for one , may not work for another!

6. pet tabs are good if you ever need it.got everything they described in one litte tablet they chew up.

7. Sean W.

Sean W. Pup

These dogs are atheletes. For the most part you can approach them the same as you do for humans. For the most part.

Some supplements that can be used...

Creatine -increases strength, mass, and power output. You nor your dog can o.d. on it. Just keep you or your dogs water intake up. For documented scientific proof of it's affects you can google it.

Vitamins -a regular dialy vitamin is a base supplement also. They make them for dogs but i've used human ones for over a year.

L-Glutamine -a bcaa. Bascially, it helps to stop breakdown of muscle tissue causing the body to use bodyfat as it's power source. Like any athelete you want to spare muscle from breaking down so glutamine will do that. Some say it's usefullness is even above creatine. You can google this also to confirm it's affects.

Nitric Oxide -MRI's NO2 is the one I trust. N.O. increases strength, stamina, endurance and mass. Lean muscle increases. But the best of all, recovery time is cut short. This stuff works. Period. A company called MuscleTech makes a trustable n.o. product also but you won't lose with the originator of the n.o. revolution. MRI's NO2

I too have used raw eggs, salmon oil, flax oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, kelp powder, digestive enyzmes and the like throughout my dogs conditioning at different times. Some things work better than others. Try a few combos. Not everything will work for all dogs.

You can google all of the supplements i've posted for you own personal confirmation or go to your local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe or better yet go to your local gym and ask those who use what. But here are some links if you need them.

http://www.getno2.com/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/no2.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/glutamine.html

Not everything that works for humans will work for canines. Keep in mind that a dogs diet is first and foremost. High quality foods like Timberwolf Organics, Innova Evo(which I use), Canidae(I use also currently for my puppy), Merrick, and a very few others are good.

Most people will say they don't use nor need anything more than a good food and maybe excersise. To each his own. I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in the bucket. Happy feeding! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  8. to many chemicals for my liking,when you start doping a dog up with creatine wich is a steroid,and N.O.,and all kinds of other crap thats when you can cause harm to your dog.i used to condition dogs for the sport before it was outlawed and i never once used one single chemicale.to me thats the lazy mans way out of alot of hard work.you can achieve the same results that you get from doping your dog up if you put the time and energy into it.so i dont care for your method of using all those drugs in the dog,and i wouldnt recomend anyone to follow that.i have seen many good dogs ruined or over dosed by people who really ''knew what they were doing'' and said i was living in that past.so as far as me ever trying any of those drugs on a dog, no way and not ever.

9. Sean W.

Sean W. Pup

Well, first off creatine is not a steroid. lol lol lol. You have no idea what you're saying. lol. That has GOT to be the first time i've heard that one in all my years. lol. Creatine is the most studied and scientifically proven sport supplement on the market. Period. I don't know where you got your information from but they lied to you. When you show me some proof of it being a steroid i'll personally come to where you are and kiss you feet. lol. Creatine is present in meats. The rawer the meat the more creatine exists.

"Although creatine offers an array of benefits, most people think of it simply as a supplement that bodybuilders and other athletes use to gain strength and muscle mass. Nothing could be further from the truth.

A substantial body of research has found that creatine may have a wide variety of uses. In fact, creatine is being studied as a supplement that may help with diseases affecting the neuromuscular system, such as muscular dystrophy (MD). Recent studies suggest creatine may have therapeutic applications in aging populations for wasting syndromes, muscle atrophy, fatigue, gyrate atrophy, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease and other brain pathologies. Several studies have shown creatine can reduce cholesterol by up to 15% and it has been used to correct certain inborn errors of metabolism, such as in people born without the enzyme(s) responsible for making creatine. Some studies have found that creatine may increase growth hormone production."

So I guess they sale steriods at your local gym, Wal-Mart, GNC, Target, drug store, and grocery store? Hahahahahahaha... Dude, they won't even let you get cough medicine unless you ask for it behind the counter. lol

Secondly, you show me proof of n.o. causing a problem in anyone. Anyone at all? lol. You have nothing to prover what you're saying. You're just stating your opinion and that's fine and dandy but don't go around spouting off opinion as fact.
    "The fact that nitric oxide increases blood flow should make it of interest to bodybuilders, as increased blood flow will serve to deliver more nutrients to muscles, thus helping muscles become larger when subject to stress. The fact that Nitric Oxide acts to reduce inflammation should also make it of interest to bodybuilders as it has the potential to reduce the pain associated with subjecting muscles to extreme stress."

Despite the claims of some in the supplement industry, there exists ample scientific literature to substantiate the efficacy of Nitric Oxide products. The following was written in May 1996 in a document prepared for the Royal Society and Association of British Science Writers:

"Summary research papers continue to flood the scientific journals and insights into the biological activity and potential clinical uses of nitric oxide (NO): a gas controlling a seemingly limitless range of functions in the body. Each revelation adds to nitric oxide's already lengthy resume in controlling the circulation of the blood, regulating activities of the brain, lungs, liver, kidneys, stomach and other organs." Since the above was written in 1996, Nitric Oxide containing products have continued to be touted by those in the medical profession, as well as by athletes looking to add muscle to their frames.

It's fine if you don't want to use the suggestions provided. Just don't dilute the truth by telling lies with no information to back up your opinion. Just because you've never heard of something or don't understand it does make it incorrect or invaluble. Cheers! :)

10. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

I have to agree with Sean that Creatine is NOT a steroid its a natural substance found in meat. Also NO 2 is basically L-Arginine a Branched chain ammino acid. All those supplements Sean mention is all natural which can be found in most foods we normally eat. People that dont understand todays scientific nutrition think that its all bad chemicals which is false and far from the truth. These supplements is not a lazy mans way but a smart or professional mans way who seeks the truth to better his dog with todays cutting edge supplements.

P.S. Sean stop giving out all the supplement secrets lol lol.........

11. Attila

Attila Guest

I only give vitamines during pregnacy and lactation. In most cases the liver and kidneys will get rid of he extra of those the dog does not use. However becareful with Vitamine E in high doses. It speeds the cell growth and will do the same if the dog has cancer cells. Cell growth is good to a point. It doesn't make the dog grow faster but will help it heal faster. As with all things moderation is key.

Sean you can make a point with out being a dink to someone about it. That taunting of some one is unacceptable behavior. Mind your manors with folks and you will be fine.

12. Sean W.

Sean W. Pup

Yeah, I thought about it before I posted the second reply. Shoulda kept the secrets to myself. lol. Especially the n.o. supplement. I kinda thought that would be the most interesting to those out there that work their dogs and at some point may need it's inflammatory affects to help their dog heal. Also, the added strength it produces is... well nevermind. Too many trade secrets.lol

I also don't like too much vitaman E. I personally don't supplement with it other than what may be in a daily multi-vitamin. It's affects are as you say, Attila.

As far as me taunting... I will admit Texas erk'd me a bit. Like I said I have no problem with someone who will disagree. In fact I like forums for just that kind of thing so everyone can speak their peace. But, to me the remarks he made were akin to the erroneous comments people make about pit bulls everyday. "Pit bulls will snap and go crazy," is the same as, "creatine is a steroid." IMHO if you don't know or do not desire to research something the least you can do is ask. I mean, I even googled a little for everyone and put the links there.

To anyone who felt I was affensive I do apologize. I'm sorry. There is a lot of info to be learned here and I know Texas has more experience with these dogs than I. I consider myself a "rookie" in the game and I hope to learn as much as I can from you all.

ChAnimal likes this.
  13. i aint offended at all by your post,but it increases strenth and muscle so in my opinion it is a steroid weather it is right or wrong it is a steroid in my opinion and no amount of science will change my opinion,and as far as you trying to take me down a peg with eqauting my remark on a drug to a bulldog having locking jaws,the best advice i can give you is dont even try that route you will just end up making an ass of yourself,because people on this board know where i stand on things and know that i could forget more than you could learn about these dogs,and i aint saying that out of anger or anything it is just a fact and you seem to go by facts so i figure you can understand that.and yes in my opinon and most other old timers from my era using chemicals and drugs to get your dog in proper condition is for lazy people who do not want to spend the time or put in the effort to get the same results as they get with the drugs they only want the quick fix and dont really care how they get it or they wouldnt put the shit in the dog.there is nothing smart or professinal about doping a dog up it is just plain wrong.to me thats like saying people who shoot herione are smart and professional.but you are from the new school and i am from the old school so we aint gonna ever see eye to eye on this topic,but i always do look down on people who dope there dog up rather than put the time and effort into properly conditioning the animal and my opinion on that will never change,and if you dont like it than tough shit.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  14. WWII

WWII Banned

I agree with Sean on a lot of what he said. I've been taking creatine since I was 14 and no ill effects except for cramping when you don't take in enough water. Have to say that when you said Muscle Tech makes a good NO2, I lol'ed. I think of Muscle Tech as the Gotti line of the vitamin world. Way over priced! I can get generic supplements that do the same thing for about 99% less money. Now Texas, creatine is surely not a steroid. Not even close.
    If that's your way of thinking you might want to stop feeding protein and carbs, and stop working your dogs. All that is scientifically proven to build muscle and endurance. Creatine is found in all meat naturally. Especially red meat. The powdered creatine is just a more concentrated form of it. I personally would use supplements on my dogs, but I really don't feel like spending the extra money on it. I spend enough on myself. I have started to put some olive oil over some toast for my pup though. His coat went to sh*t recently. I'm hoping that will improve it. ABout the only supplement I would use would be just a daily multi-vitamin for dogs.

Sean-Have you tried using just some BCAA's in your dogs water or food before? Wondering how that would work out. I used to get a liquid form of it and dump it into a protein powder that didn't already have it in it.

It doesn't bother me one way or another if someone "dopes" a dog up. If dog A and dog B are both equal, but dog A uses supplements, he's gonna come in better conditioned. The people that look for the quick fix are the ones that hurt their dogs, but if done proplerly, supplements can take you beyond that 100%.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Creatine doesn't directly make muscle grow like anabolic steroids. It helps with energy reserves to help you force out that one more rep. By doing this, you are pushing you're muscles through a barrier and conditioning them to a harder, longer workout.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  15. there is a diffrence in dog feed and giving them creatine and you know it,you said yourself it is found in red meat wich is fine,but when you start giving them a man made concentrated dose thats when it gets into dope.just like all drugs stem from natural forms.and you saying i ought to stop feeding my dogs and working them because it builds muscle is childish,they build muscle naturally,giving them dope is a entirely diffrent sitituation,maybe you need to get yourself off of the dope so you can think straight about what you are saying.i dont condone dope in any form and i really dont like when people try to equate it to something natural and good for something,because it is good for nothing.if you would have a little more patience in your work out then you would achieve the same results that you do with taking the drug it will just take more time,but you want the result in a couple weeks instead of a couple months,supplements like that just aint good for you,i remember when anabolic steroids came out big,and everyone was saying what you are now,oh it is just a concentrated form of this and that and it is fine it aint gonna hurt ya none,and they would try and get me to take it i told em no way it is dope and it will cause damage maybe not right away but it will,and there reply was oh it is proven safe and people have taken it and have never had anything bad happen to em,now when they hit 50 or 60 they have to have work done on their heart,they are dying,there testicles shrunk and the list goes on and on.no matter what anyone says to me i will never change my mind that none of this stuff serves a purpose in anything and it certanly doesnt belong in dogs or any sport wich involves dogs,it is only lazy cheaters who would use the dope in a dog.and i really dont apreciate you saying to stop feeding my dogs and working them because that builds muscle and endurance,maybe you should just forget owning any type animal untill you get clean and get your mind set right.

1 person likes this.
  16. Sean W.

Sean W. Pup

I haven't bothered to try the bcaa's because generally speaking most quality proteins are going to have all of them anyway so instead of providing the dog or human with the building blocks for protein(bcaa) anyway I just go with a good quality dog food. I will say that for what I might've missed in my nutritional program I throw in a scoop of Nupro. 1 scoop a day or 3 or 4 scoops a week.

Cramping is the main reason you need to stay hydrated when it comes to creatine. Especially a dog whom you can't regulate the water intake like we can do for ourselves. Since the dog can't speak up for themselves we just have to know our dog and pay attention. I supplement with an electrolyte formula to help make sure they stay hydrated. Even though there is no scientific evidence to support this, I personally, and with my dogs always cycle off an supplements for about 4 weeks or so. Depending on what supplements they are. Like I said, everything doesn't work for every dog. Just like with humans.

I personally don't like MuscleTech stuff because it is too high priced. Just like EAS used to be(kinda still is). But MT's stuff work. That's why I mentioned them. I don't mess with too many supplement companies. Can't trust everyone. MRI's NO2 is the only n.o. product i've personally used. The good thing about it is that it's so pricey most people won't bother with it. Especially, with all the hype about n.o. products in the last few years. That's where we can get over. lol. Cause the fact is the stuff works. Hella fast too!

As far as your dogs coat, there are a couple things i've done since birth for mine. One is 1 broken raw egg(shell and all) with kibble twice a day for about a week. Then I cut back to only 1 egg a day. I also used about 2 tablespoons of olive oil with kibble everyday. I thought that was cheaper than salmon oil but it wasn't. Although, olive oil, flax oil and the like last much much longer than salmon. There is also another method an old dog man informed me of. I'll PM it to you.

If I confused anyone to believe that any of this stuff is a quick fix i'm sorry. No, this stuff is all "add-ons". Stuff you do in addition to your current regimen. Absolutely none of this supplementation is needed. It's all voluntary. And I don't supplement with everything all the time. For example, to see if the creatine and Nupro was working I gave only that and started working my dog more. I simply used food, leash walking, and fetch over a period of about 3 weeks and my dog got ripped! No mills, water tanks, flirtpole or springpole. Every time I pulled her out the car I got a "wow". So, all of this won't make your dog a super athelete but it just may give them the extra edge you need in whatever venue you work them in.

17. WWII

WWII Banned

Oh man. I don't even know what to say. To each their own.

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Damn Tex I thought you would be more open minded then that I guess your SET in your old ways I dont blame ya as the saying goes its hard to teach an old dog new tricks lol but to each his own good luck in your dogging and stay safe GODBLESS. RLK

19. Not that anybody cares, but I agree 100%....whatever happened to the NATURAL that everybody took out of life? I think maybe, thats why so many people die and are sick at very early ages!
    If you look back (way back) folks stayed healthy and very much alive for many many years........(you know when all that stuff wasn't around) they don't anymore!

20. PIT_DOMINATION

PIT_DOMINATION Big Dog

i also agree with not using drugs for your dogs but i think vitamins can be a good thing when needed. i dont think its the same as using straight steroids to push your dog to its top conidition. hard work and time are the best methods for conditioning. ive never understood why people us drugs like that to win. you can never prove true gameness from using steriods.