1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wal Mart kicks out service dog because of breed

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Verderben, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Attila

Attila Guest

Hmm well maybe we could arrange something. Good with a shovel and a rake?. lol

2. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Haha! Been getting in some practice with a shovel here the last couple days. I'm gonna try to get ahold of someone to find out our exact policy on dogs in the store.

3. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Don't hold back on your feelings Michele, let us know how you really feel about Walmart.
    As far as I am concerned, they cannot vanish from the American scene fast enough to suit me. I've boycotted them for years. I confess I used to shop there, but their policies for their employees, their lack of concern for the environment and their crummy service in the "local" store made me decide I'd actually rather spend a few cents more elsewhere.
    I hoep that the lawsuit against them is successful and the publicity is massive....
    Thanks Atilla for the tip about the other corporations Walmart owns. I won't shop there either...

4. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Ok, so I been doing a little research to this Wal-Mart owning Lowe's (which I honestly have never heard) and the only thing I can find is that Lowe's and Wal-Mart are always built near eachother to get the cross traffic. Home Depot and Target are the same. As a matter of fact here, all 4 are on the same block, so to speak. I have been told in the past that they are not finacially connected. Lowe's is a separate company from Wal-Mart. Now as for the others listed, I have no clue.
    And on the subject at hand, it is utterly ridiculous that a customer was essentially pushed out the door because of the breed of her service dog. That is a complete disrespect not only to her but to our breed. I feel that the store manager and assistant manager should issue her a formal apology.

5. Attila

Attila Guest

Yes, that will be cool.

However it is my understanding that a service dog is supposed to be able to legally go every place that a person can go.

I sure would raise a stink and make a ripple effect. Any one that would refuse a service dog of someone handicapped member of the public doesn't need the business of the rest of the public that is for sure. And any one that discriminates like that needs find a job in a sewer line under a prison. They have it hard enough with out some dick pushing them around. Take names and turn that sumbitch over to the autorities. and Press what ever charges you can. Refuse a service dog. Just makes a feller sick.

6. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I agree. I know we never refuse service dogs, they actually train them at our store in the warmer months. Mostly Labs and retrievers, but they walk them through, educate the public and whatnot. I just am not sure of the exact standing of regular pets in store.

7. Attila

Attila Guest

It would be worth knowing. That way we know and can call them out if they say no. Providing it is allowed. I don't see the problem not like they serve food. It is a building supply out fit for pete's sakes. You reckon an old farmer and his faithful dog would be more than welcome. Even toss ole gus a bone or a treat now and then.

8. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I agree. But this was not Lowe's discriminating it was Wal-Mart. I was trying to point out the fact that Lowe's and Wal-Mart have nothing to do with one another.

9. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

10. Attila

Attila Guest

Nothing? ? ?

11. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I thought Walmart owned Lowes and thats why they always build a Lowes next to a Walmart,,,is that right?

12. Attila

Attila Guest

Yes the corporation owns Lowe's. and the others I listed earlier in the thread. Also some manufacturing companies and plants around the world. Just not in america. For every one employee here there are hundreds in some other low income country. It is an unbrella effect. Also they buy out companies, starve out mom and pop stores and monopolize the market. I would rather pay more to buy something from the old couple out at the supply. Than to spend a nickle for the waltons. Plus those big buildings and stuff are an eyesore to the landscape of Americal and other countries now. Got a Walmart by where my friend is stationed in Japan. People bitch about what the Govt puts overseas and out industry is more so. I don't really see how our economy will stand the next 20 years. What can the Govt do? tell them to bring their plants back here. The companies will say bite me and move the headquaters across too and cutting all ties out side of the retail stores. It isn't a crime. But it sure screws us in the short and long run. Hell we will all be eating our dogs at that point. BSL wont have shit on hungry families. have to guard my yard big time then. Let them eat the casualties.

13. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

It seems that after the old man died, the whole thing went to crap!

14. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

Asking her to leave was a direct violation of the American's with Disabilities Act. The law clearly states that a business that services the public can not deny access to a handicapped person with a service animal for any reason. It also states that there are no restrictions on what breeds may be used as a service animal either.

I e-mailed her and she's got some serious media attention going on and she's building a page with info on others who use pit bulls for service dogs since the manager of the store said that NO ONE uses pit bulls for a service dog and it's unheard of.

1 person likes this.
  15. Attila

Attila Guest

You are the bomb Sister. Way to go. I want to see that sucker on TV with donald Trump saying your fired. lol Get em. points to you

16. redripper

redripper Big Dog

I will be writing them a nasty letter shortly, and a nice letter to abc 7. This type of discrimination has to stop.

17. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Time to pull a PETA.....

Gather as many people as you can to your cause and dedicate a Saturday to picketing outside the store. Make sure all signs made clearly state that this store kicked out a person with their service dog. If you can gather more people with the APBT as a service dog to join with you on this, it will also serve to show John Q. Public that the APBT is NOT the type of monster that people believe it is.

Make surer it is a calm and peaceful demonstration, hand out flyers describing what service dogs do and how they are certified.

Positive promotion of the breed and what they do for the needy. Of course, make sure you will not be breaking any laws by doing so.;)

18. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Ok, no Wal-mart DOES NOT own Lowe's. They are two completley SEPERATE companies. The only thing that they have in common is that they build next to each other. I just called and spoke to fellow emplyoees about it. As for the dog policy. Company policy states that only service dogs are allowed into the store. Pets are allowed on a store to store basis. Some stores dont mind, where others will not allow it. The breed of service dog should not be an issue, anywhere, IMO. As for boycotting Wal-mart and such(oh Lord help me, prolly gonna get bashed). I will not be joining you all. Sorry. I feel this is one incident, in one store. That does not mean all Wal-marts and their subsidaries are the same. It was two people's opinions that day, she also DID NOT have to hurry and leave. She could have stayed and shopped all day and night if she wished. Legally, they couldnt have dont anything about it. Now, dont get me wrong, I do feel for her, and I do LOVE these wonderful dogs, and do all that I can from here to spread good word and educate when I get the chance. And I know that sometimes all it takes is one uneducated person's opinion to sway the masses, but I dont know. I just feel that this in an isolated incident and yes, we can help by sending letters to support her cause (without being nasty), but sometimes I just feel some people overreact and end up causing us more hurt than help.

19. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I can personally go and create 10 or more corporations very easily, and they would be seperate entities. Never the less, I would be president, and they would basically be mine. If you look on the board of directors for Wal Mart and Lowes, you'd find that the same president resides, and the same board of directors. So,what's the difference? It is semantics.

Oh, and BTW, if something does happen to your job, Attila will let you come and stay with him, after all, it was his idea to include Lowe's!haha

"EDIT"
    I did not research before making this post, but made an assumption, which is wrong. The last tie would be to see if the major stock holders are the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007