1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wapi The Killer (Scenes from "Back to God's Country" 1919)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Robertosilva, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Scenes from the 1919 Canadian silent movie featuring Nell Shipman.

The film is based on James Oliver Curwood's "Wapi, the Walrus" published in 1918.

The part of Wapi was actually played by two Great Danes - Tresore, "a magnificent Blue, 150-pounds of fighting dog no one except Doc (Graff, the owner) had ever handled, and his gentler brother, Rex, who only hated Tresore," Shipman said. "He was to double for the vicious animal in scenes with humans. I had already overcome that imposition. Tresore and I were friends."

upload_2016-9-22_2-19-11.png

DogMan85 likes this.
  2. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

It just goes to show how we have ruined dog breeds in the show ring. Those Great Danes looked very functional, nothing like the hideousites of today.

Now I can see the Great Danes influence on the Tosa and other large fighting dogs.

Have you ever seen the Bulldog in the movie The Yearling?

Robertosilva likes this.
  3. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Haven't seen that movie, I checked on imdb and it had a thread on the dogs fighting with bears.

In that Wapi movie the Dane looks like a huge Pit at first until you see the size of the think, lol.

4. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Yes a Bulldog is fighting a bear on one scene and it's real no play acting.

Yep one could easily think that Dane is related to the APBT, I wouldn't have gone near that dog for a gold pig....

Robertosilva likes this.
  5. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

DogMan85 likes this.
  6. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

I wonder if it was a wild Black Bear, I doubt it....

Robertosilva likes this.
  7. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

I imagine they would have been tame bears.

"During the ten months of filming, 32 trained animals were used, including five fawns. The fawns needed to be replaced as they aged in order to conform to the description of the title animal. The fawn found by Jody, as he pulls back the foliage, was three days old and had bee&n rescued from a forest fire. Other animals used in filming included 126 deer, 9 black bears, 37 dogs, 53 wild birds, 17 buzzards, 1 owl, 83 chickens, 36 pigs, 8 rattlesnakes, 18 squirrels, 4 horses & 17 raccoons. The quantity of "critters" total is 441."

m.imdb.com/title/tt0039111/trivia

DogMan85 likes this.
  8. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Have you seen the clip of that Ovcharka getting killed by the Jaguar? Definitely set-up, waste of a dog.....

9. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Havent seen that one. I've seen a wolf against some sort of Cao Georgian shepherd type. The wolf is very good defensively. It was on one of those Ovcharka protection training sites. The wolf was kept in a barred kennel, felt very sorry for the thing being a wild animal kept like a dog.

10. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Robertosilva likes this.
  11. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Is that from a film? Looks like the dog was tied up as bait?

12. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Probably a film or some documentary, bit weird because the man doesn't look South American so both the Jaguar and dog are used as bait....