1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Watch out for them snapping turtles.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Stud, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Stud

Stud Pup

I was in the lake with my dog and saw this snapping turtle. Got the fuck out and took a quick pic but then it went under water. And I decided that I am never returning to the lake again or lakes in general with my dog. Anyone else take there dog to the lake? If so, arent you afraid of these snapping turtles? I dont trust one of them getting a hold of the dog's leg... My dog saw it and tried to swim towards it but luckily I had his lead.Fuck lakes/ponds... No more swimming for the dog unless its in a pool.[​IMG]

2. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

Damn, that's a big one, you can tell he's old from how wore down his upper lip is.

I used to catch them like crazy, probably about 150 of them with 20 or so being over 20 pounds, my largest 30 pounds. It takes a lot to get one to bite you while they're in the water, but I imagine a dog grabbing it would be one of those times, lol. Also, unless a turtle is near the shore, I think he'd go to the bottom before your dog could get him, they can move pretty quick when they want to.

Here's a couple I caught when I was a teen.

[​IMG]

3. peppapig

peppapig Banned

looks like godzilla popping his head out in top pic.lol.

4. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

You guys ever watch the clip of this old coot?

It's worth your time, promise.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gn8EQ0azXpQ&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

5. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Had fried turtle Friday night. Good stuff

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

fuckin hillbillys lol

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ive always wanted one as a pet

8. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

I had one, 6 inch shell on him, that would literally climb up your leg, sit on your lap, extend it's neck and close it's eyes while you let his head. It was the weirdest damned turtle I ever caught. I kept him in a baby pool all summer then let him go in a large lake near me. It was an anomaly, every other one I ever caught was defensively mean as hell, some were outright just mean.

My favorite animals, Pit Bulls and Snapping Turtles, go figure. You gotta respect a snapper though, in their own environment they are docile and will try to avoid you, but start messing with them and they will f**k your day up. A little known fact is that their strike is actually quicker than a rattlesnakes.

I helped this guy cross the road a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

can they be tamed?

10. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

No, they can't. The one I had was just weird. You can get most smaller ones to close their eyes while you rub the back of their head though.

I had two alligator snappers as pets, got them when they were just about 3 inches long total, those things wanted nothing but to bite you from that size to when they got larger. They got to big for me to keep though. Not many things are dirtier than a turtle and cleaning their tanks was disgusting as all get out.

I would use turtles as a way to get a landowner to allow me to fish. I'd go up, ask them if they would mind if I took their turtles out for them (I relocated them, never killed them) and every land owner but 1 said I could. After a few weeks of that and showing the land owners the turtles I would ask if they minded if I would fish a little, most said I could, but a few turned me down. Still a good way in, especially with farmers.

11. pit4ever

pit4ever Banned

Ehehehehehehehehwewehehwehrejwrhjwehrjherjhwejrh agh~

12. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

i cant beleive no one has posted this back up again

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GydyA_cVJNA[/ame]

13. fblb

fblb Top Dog

Them Alligator snapping turtles are some good damn eating.

14. fblb

fblb Top Dog

nnnooooo, lol

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

damn, id really like to build a fish/duck pond with bullfrogs and shit when i buy a house. i thought a big snapper would make a good addition.

16. chucho

chucho Big Dog

Those turttle's can stay in the damn ponds and lakes. They aint comin' to my house.

17. popper

popper CH Dog

thats gotta be the most painfull way to die

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

thats it, that video made my decision........IM GETTIN ONE! lol

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

yea i was almost feelin bad for the rats!

20. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

evil turtles gee wiz