1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Water bowl --> HELP!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Jenn, Jan 3, 2005.

1. hey guys here is an inexpensive way for water or food bowl:

go to the junk yard and buy 2 steel wheels, clean them up.
    go to a store and buy a sack of quikrete. put concrete on one entire side and let it cure. this should cost a whopping 4-7 dollars for the both of them. i get them at a local junk yard for a buck a piece.
    on the other side put it just one the bottom, put it with your dog, your dog wont be dumping water or food anymore. another idea is put the bowls on the thresh hold of the dog's chain, in other words just in reach to eat and drink, i have one that does that and because of weather haven't been able to make her dog bowls yet. she don't dump hers anymore. let me know if you like that.

2. I had that problem with my female when I got her she was 1 so it was hard to untrain her of habits. What I did like I do with all bad habits is let her know it's bad. I would fill the bowl with water and the otehr with food, b'cause she dumped both!! I would stand around the corner and when I heard it knock over I would peep out and say "no! bad bad bad Phatty Girl" I would pick up the bowl and show it to her, she would back down since she knows that tone of voice means she's in for it. I kept doing this til she stopped.

Shrek on the other hand, he's a stubborn donkey, I have to give him time outs with the items he chewed or broke. Newspaper works too! He gets scared of being smacked with a newspaper, I guess it's the loud bang, of course with his pig skin he doesn't even feel it.

3. i use 1/2 of a 30 gal plastic drum

4. how on earth can you afford to clean and refill a 30 gal drum daily? it seems algae would form on the bottom of it.

5. another thing a bud of mine does is he digs a hole the size of the water bowl and literally plants it in the ground.

6. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

NOW that is different and something I could try today! Maybe it would work till this weekend for me.

7. Bully

Bully Pup

i have a male that likes to dig in his water bowl. i got sick of constantly filling it. so i got a self filling STAINLESS STEEL water bowl. it has a float and when the water is past a certain point it simply refills. also the reason i prefer stainless steel is that concrete is hard to clean and can house bacteria and algae. one problem though is that you have a hose connected to the bowl and some dogs will chew it. i covered the hose with a mixture of vaseline and habenero peppers. he never chewed it again. the bowl can be tipped over easily though, so i have it fastened to a pallet using a "c" clamp. that probably sounds kinda okie, but it worked for me.

8. pepsi

pepsi Pup

I have had this problem myself over the yrs. Dogs don't always know what is best for them and will continue to knock their water over.

The best and least expensive thing to do is build you your own concrete bowl. You can still clean this, and occasionally bleach it if you don't think you are getting it clean enough, though if you are making sure the water is fresh daily, this won't be a problem.

First you need a form of some sort, either one you construct entirely or one that is prefab and serves the purpose for the size you need. IMO get a 25 gallon barrel and cut it down untill it is about 10 inches, the size of a good watter bowl. Then go to the feed store and buy one of those metal 3 gallon water bowls. Turn the metal water bowl upside down and place it in the bottom of your plastic barrel. Next step is to pour your mixed concrete in the plastic barrel. After the concrete is set you sperate the plastic from your newly constructed concrete water bowl (You should also be able to seperate the metal bowl from the concrete as well). This bowl is indestructable and flip resistant.

Hope this helps.

I have some pis but I will need to find them, if and when I do I will try to post them.

GAMEDOGS ONLINE
    www.gamedogs-online.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2005