1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"We are opposed to all forms of animal cruelty"

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by devinben3, Jan 31, 2005.

1. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

"We are opposed to all forms of animal cruelty"

i quoted this off this site and it says we meaning everyone who is involved in this forum...Last time i check chaining your dogs up with 10 ft long heavy chains giving them burns is animal cruelty. breeders say "do not put any weight on a puppy, but yet when you search around this forum you will see kennels that have pups chained up, i feel these dogs deserve better than a heavy chain..what is wrong with building a dog lot and giving them exercise? I know chains are expensive and all the parts that go with it, build a nice dog kennel with seperate runs, yeah it may cost a little more, but hey, nothing is cheap, and we shouldn't own or breed dogs if we don't have the money to spend of them. It looks better to have a nice dog kennel that you can just hose down everyday and it keeps your dogs safe. chains can be very harmful causing cuts, burns, and they can pull muscles. Now i'm not saying all chains are bad...if you have one that is the right size not 10 ft long and 75 lbs or more than that's wrong. but they make cables and small chains to tie your dogs out on, but i don't like it. i do agree with exercising with a chain though only when used with a harness so it won't harm the dog.

2. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Re: "We are opposed to all forms of animal cruelty"

A heavy chain can sometimes be the difference in a dog getting hold of the annoying mutt on the cable run next door.

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

In my opinion the chain set up if done the right way is the most safest and effective way to keep a dog from getting loose. Having a dog escape from his kennel or property is a violation of the leash law and in my opinion more cruel then a little collar burn Why because if you really care about your dog you would know he could get hurt by a car or get in any type of accidents, you wouldnt let your child run loose in the streets would you? wouldnt you try to use any measure to prevent this from happening. A kennel while it looks more secure it isnt as secure as a good chain set up. I had many dogs escape from my kennels but not one ever from my chain set ups.

4. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

i mostly agree here, i dont chain my pups however, all pups until the age of 8-10 months are kept in runs with roofs on them, i have had dogs chew their way through chain link kennels. my adult males are kept inside the house or out on a chain, a good heavy chain on a swivel attached to a 2-3 inch collar and then attached by swivel to a very big deep stake in the ground.
    my adult females all are kept with pups of different ages for protection, (keeps puppy thiefs out the yard...lol ....even though the thiefs dont know that my dogs will let ANYONE into the yard, not very protective i must say...might lick a stranger to death...lol) but what they dont know wont hurt them, or loose me my dogs.

5. waters

waters Big Dog

I Do Not Beleive In Chains Either. If Your Dogs Are Properly Trained And Live A Good Life, They Usually Do Not Care What Is On The Other Side. My Dogs Have A Big Yard And Live Inside My House When Not Outside.

6. HCK

HCK Big Dog

IF you have a true bred game BULLDAWG, they will normally have a high prey drive. They will do just about whatever it takes to get to the other side of that of fence. In a pen, dogs seem to be more prone to chew on the fencing and mess up more of their hardware. Which in my book is a NO NO.
    If you are wanting a STRONG and STURDY pen it takes several hundreds of $$$'s per pen. Me personally, I don't wanna have to worry day and night about one of my favorite dogs getting loose and possibly getting into a kennel accident. Don't get me wrong, I do have a few brood pens and they are used just for that purpose. We use 2 X 2 bullwire, concrete flooring, tin roofing, and a good metal frame that my husband has to weld together. UGH! I would go absolutely broke and have a mad hubby if I wanted more than a couple of these. lol Besides , these are bulldogs, they like chains better than fences. They love working a popping the chain. If you put one on a 10 ft chain...they would have 10 feet on each side of the car axel(whatever you use) to run, VERSUS a 10 ft X 10 ft pen in which they would have to look through bars(kinda like prison).
    Whether a dog be on a chain or in a fence, they still need a certain amount of excercise and attention daily.

7. SFK

SFK Top Dog

I hope you people against chains never get your hands on a real bulldog! Because you don't have any idea of what you are saying. I would much rather give my dogs the freedom to walk around an open area on a chain. Then to confine them in a kennel run. Also, they will tear thru, climb over or dig under kennels. Yes it is uncalled for to keep pups on huge chains but there is nothing wrong with 3/16" - 1/4" link chains and smaller swivels.

8. JC-Pitbulls

JC-Pitbulls Top Dog

I use chains and pens , but I think chains are better for adult dogs, I've seen too many dogs chew through kennels. Puppies dont usually chew through the fence, but they can break teeth on the wire.

9. HCK

HCK Big Dog

We nomally start our pups out on 1/4 chain. We've had to put them on chains as early as 6 weeks of age because it would be CRUEL to let them stay in the same pen and kill one another. 1/4 chain is plenty light enough to start pups/young dogs on.

10. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

why would anyone want an 8 or 9 week old pup or litter of pups that would actually KILL each other, that is madness. i have had a group of 5 month olds gang up on one and kill her. but not anything younger. also my dogs are kept in pairs, male and female, except during cycles at which time i have separate heat and brooding pens. i also prefer a good chain set up over a pen for males though.

11. HCK

HCK Big Dog

:D :D :D :D ;)

12. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

no doubt..........that must be hard.......:D:p:eek:

13. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

...madness!

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol!

Sometimes they just get a little...excited.

14. JC-Pitbulls

JC-Pitbulls Top Dog

Sometimes you get what you get. There is not a certain age that a dog has to be before it can kill another dog. I've seen young pups kill littermates.Some pups are just stronger and more agressive.Remember, we are talking about Game-Dogs. Things Happen.

15. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions, everyone has their different reasons why and why not their dog should be on a chain. My point was about the young pups on the big chains, now of course if it's a chain for their size then its ok. just don't want to risk injuring your pup. i've seen some ppl around here (north carolina) that have their pits on chains and maybe their just cruel that's why i posted this...they have 40 lb grown pregnant female on a 10 ft.. 80 lb chain, she's jumps up all the time and has cuts and burns..that's what i mean by cruel, they also put there 6 week old pups on big chains. now that is what i mean by animal cruelty. I also agree that a lot of pitbulls can not be put in a kennel run, they can chew through. so i guess it all just depends on your dog. My grandmother owns a dog kennel in florida, and when rebel was about 10 mth old she would jump, climb and push through the top wire of the kennel to get out...it is 10 ft high to. i only kept her in their one day because of company in the house.

16. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Why would anyone want to allow a group of 5 mo. olds kill another littermate out of neglect? Bet that wasn't the first time they got into a lil tussle either. And I don't see how a couple extra mo. means anything in regards to a pups inborn prey drive? So yours were a bit later starting.

17. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

for your information, the group had been together since birth, 2 separate litters, and the girl they beat up left and came back, at that time my other run was closed for repair, so i put her in there with her littermate brother who also left with her and came back. she spent 2 weeks picking on all the other girls in the run, and they finally had enough. unfortunately i wasnt home to stop it, but animal control came over, and jumped my wall to break it up, THANK GOD i have good dogs, none of my adults jumped in, but the pups melee broke out of the puppy pen and animal control (who also knows me and all my dogs) had to fish the beat up pup out of the pool, she was alive and he took her to the vet for me. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN, especially with this breed, and now i separate all my pups at about 3 - 4 months into male female pairs. a very unfortunate learning experience.

18. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

Hmm.. IMO, your an idiot... but I dont want to start problems... I tried the "run"... but all of my dogs have escaped from it multiple times... I put a top and a bottom on it, put 2 layers of wire, barried cinder blocks... they still escape... Pit bulls have jaws of steal, that can double as a hammer, a saw, a crow-bar, etc. I have NEVER had a dog get off a chain... Not once... If it is put together corectly, a chain is the cheepest, SAFEST way of containing your dog... I have had dogs that had to have stitches in their face because the wire from the kennel tore into their flesh on their way out... Puppys should not be on a chain, I agree, but after about 6 months, as long as the chain isnt enormous, they are fine!! I have neighbors that have SHOT my dogs after they escaped from their "run"... Neighbors that have had us in court twice now for our "vicious pit bulls" running through their front yard... IMO, a run isnt worth the risk of loosing one of my magnificent animals... As of now, I have both of my dogs in the house... but as soon as the weather gets better, they will be spending time ont heir chains out back.. get some fresh air, and save my house from their jaws of steal while I am away... I have a spring pole in my run now, and a tire (I took the top off) and we have "supervised play time" out there...

19. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

LOL... good idea!!

20. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

you dont like the one about keeping males and females together lol?