1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weighing Scales

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by MASON, Dec 24, 2006.

1. MASON

MASON Big Dog

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a good weighing scale at. Preferably one that you have to hang the dog in.

Thanks and Happy Holidays......:)

2. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Deleted Post

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  3. MASON

MASON Big Dog

Thanks for the feedback Stillwater.

1 person likes this.
  4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

No doubt, I have been watching those scales for awhile, but couldnt believe something that cheap could be very accurate. I had a junk scale that broke awhile ago, paid more for that peice of crap then one of those digi scales I just ordered, because of a good feedback. I'm also needing a new test peice, anyone have a link to some good, cheap ones?

5. SisMorphine

SisMorphine Big Dog

I just walk into the vet's office and throw them on the scale there. There is no WAY you'll see me lifting either of my dogs!

6. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I work for an Engineering Firm, and we have test peas, of all sizes and they ain't cheap.
    The most inexpensive way to go, is to make your own, and have it certified.

Go to a sporting goods store and get one of those ALL metal dumbdells. Weld a washer or a link of chain to one end(This is to hang it by)

After that clean it real well, of any loose slag.

Get the Yellow Pages out and look up a company that calibrates scales.Most ALL companies who calibrate scales are traceable to the "US Bureu of Standards and Measures"

Take your test pea you made to them and tell them you want its wt to the .000(Thousanthes) of a LB, and a certification letter.

It shouldn't cost you over $20 to have it certifide.(it only takes a few minutes)
    Once you know the exact wt of your pea, you can use it to calibrate your scales with directions that come with them.

Hope this helps.

If you are into Wt. Pulling this stuff is as important as the harness, if you want to keep it fair for your dog.

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I've never thought to contact a local scale company, I was going to make my own, however to do that I was figuring I'd have to have at least one calibrated scale and test peice to weigh the new pea. That is a very simple solution, I can't believe I never thought of that. I live in a fairly rural area, with no major cities around for a couple hours, so I'm not sure if we will have a scale company locally, but it will be worth it to drive, over buying a 400 dollar test pea! Thanks bro...

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Update....scale arrived today (Actually, yesterday, but wasnt around to check the mail yesterday.). $25 covered the cost of the scale, shipping, and paypal charges. Got weights on most the dogs, and hung a friends test peice on it. DEAD on to the dot. Can't beat that for what I paid for the damn thing!

Thanks for the input on it Stillwater, I would of wasted my money buying an expensive scale, which is not 100% needed right now, just ballpark it. This scale did much better then "ballpark it". For the money, it absolutely cannot be beat.

9. Dirty3rd

Dirty3rd Big Dog

TSC. Hell they've always been accurate for us, and the shows I've been to used em except for ADBA nats 06 where they used digital.

10. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Hey Rock, educate me for a bit, what kind of contraption did you rig up to suspend the dog in? I got the same set, just tryin to figure out the best set up to use.

11. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

12. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Are you talking about how I hung the scale, or hung the dog? I believe your asking about the dog, so I'll answer that, and if it was the scale, let me know. What I found works REALLY well, is a Fender bass guitar strap I had laying around. It is nice and thick, already has two holes in the end, and is strong enough to support the dog, also it weighs EXACTLY .25 lbs. I've used nylon and shoestrings, and they work, but must be looped around the dog many times, and cut into a heavier dog. Since I had a few mooses to weigh, a nice thick strap I knew the weight on, worked great, and was more comfortable. It does hang the dog down a bit lower then say, a shoestring, so you may need to use a higher attachment point to hang the scale. Set up at my house is just above eye-level, and that was fine. However, hanging it on my partners yard it was about "nipple-level" and the biggest dog only had a few inches under her feet, to the ground. She was 48.

13. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

i'll have to get up that deal rock!! i'll pm ya bro.

and thanks for the idea of the test pea. great simple solution,,thanks.

14. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I have a few guitar straps laying around, did you wrap the strap around the dog, or split it to where it went under the chest and under the stomach? Yes, I was talking about the dog. Thnx for the help.

15. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Ran right under the chest, so when the dog was being weighed, the strap was securely in the "armpit".

16. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Gotcha. Thnx for the reply.

17. would you mind posting a pic of your scale setup?

if it's a pain the butt don't worry about it. :)

18. Hey Rock or Stillwater, could you PMe the link to where you got the scale from? I am tire of driving to 20 minutes to check how much my mutt weighs (I like to track his weight).

$25 for everything including shipping is certainly not bad at all!

19. Mystic

Mystic Pup

DIGITAL FISHING SCALES - 50kg/120lb
    [​IMG]
    around $50.00 shipping include, on ebay.

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

That must be one with a tape measure on it as well (for fish) they are a bit more expensive. Just search for item number: 220063043192 That is the auction I won. 9.99 bin 14.99 shipping and handling. I see in the store the prices are just a touch higher, I dont know if the buy it now auctions will be more now or not.