1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weight Divisions

Discussion in 'Dog Blogs' started by Kerberos91, May 20, 2023.

1. Hi guys, me again :D
    I asked Google already but couldnt find anything. My question is : how many weight divisions are there for dogs and how are they named? I have read here in some thread about the catch weight and chain weight classes.
    Are there more then that and are they seperated differently between different breeds or do they count for all breeds the same?
    Would be nice if you could make a list of the weight classes with the pound number behind each class.

A second question : is more weight for a dog better for fighting like it is for us humans or is it maybe the other way around? Since the APBT can defeat much larger breeds it seems to me that more weight isnt nessesairly better for dogs. Whats your guys opinion on that?

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

There are no weight divisions. The dogs compete on an agreed set weight. Both dogs should be at or less than the agreed weight.

If all things the same the bigger dog has the advantage.

S

3. Oh ok so you mean one persons dog could be lets say 30 pounds heavier then the other persons dog, and if the other person agrees to that then they can still match?

4. That would be a catch-weight match.
    As for set weight matches, yes, dogs do fail to make weight, but, if they do so, the owner has to pay a forfeit to the other owner.

Kerberos91 likes this.
  5. I understand, thanks for the answer :)

6. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

No one is going to do that....

david63 and CockneyRebel123 like this.
  7. Just hypothetical haha

8. Must be a bad keep to come in 30lb overweight.

Ssdd likes this.
  9. Whats the best weight for a game dog in your opinion guys? Im sure more is better but from a point on i think the loss of stamina would be to big right? I have seen a Dogo gasing out against an APBT after 16 minutes or so, i think he was about 100 pounds. But then again im not sure how big the difference in gameness is between those two breeds.

10. How long is a piece of string, nobody knows the answers. Impossible to guage really isn't it, it's all about the individual dog, my guess would be anywhere between 55-70lb.

Kerberos91 likes this.
  11. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Or a dumb fuck for an owner...

david63 and CockneyRebel123 like this.
  12. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

People who match dogs open their dogs at the weight thats suits their dog , and would be foolish to match above that weight , APBT get matched from as light as 30 up to mid/ high 50s ,