1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weight pull , the right way to start

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by SA pits, Mar 2, 2010.

1. SA pits

SA pits Pup

We've been competing in weight pull events quite a while . but always looking to improve , our female is almost an ACE of ACE , and our male is heading towards ACE ,but we are getting a new female puppy this weekend , so the enthusiam is back , any suggestions on starting weight pull , age , techniques ect. We have always used meat treats (we call it biltong , i think you call it jerky)as reward when we start

2. I start introdicing a WP harness as a pup. walk around in it, add a little drag chain to get them used to something behind them. I don't start heavier weights till a year. I spend puppy months teaching my pup form and how to pull straight.

3. dway

dway Pup

Hey SA what kind of Weight are your dogs pulling?

4. dway

dway Pup

How much weight are they pulling :D

5. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

6. SA pits

SA pits Pup

Joey , the female has pulled 7700 lb (3500kg)@ 23kg , 152 x body weight and she's 4 yrs. old . Madox is pulling a few hundred kg's more every show compared to her and still improving and his 18 months old , but weighing in at around 29 kg's (63.8lb i think)

7. SA pits

SA pits Pup

H , the link's not working on my side

8. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

I would luv to get Disco into weight pull. And maybe even my big ole silly boerboel, too, lol. Any suggestions on how to get older dogs into it would be great.

9. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

and SA, maddox's ears are great! :)

10. The link that Leslie posted has good info on starting an adult dog

11. txtsk

txtsk Pup

Get some treats, do what Vader's Mon says and you will br off to a great start. Even with an older dog. I'd love to wp train a Boerbeol. Good Luck!