1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What classifies you as a byb?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by prettyfulpitbull, Jun 16, 2006.

1. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

I found this while searching on the net.I'm very interested to hear responses.This was posted in a dog forum.Thanks guys

What classifies you as a back yard breeder?

What is the defination of a BYB(Back yard breeder)?Is it a person who has dogs registered with a less reputable registry? Is it the dogs pedigree looks and who is in it? Is it the breeding practices? Is it how the dog is cared for? Which of these things classifies you as a BYB?

It is never good to breed a dog with a unknown background because many problems could arise.The reasoning for not breeding a dog with an unknown background is because it could have defects or faults in its lines that you don not know if there were any genetic defects in lines.These things could be passed on to the puppies and the rusult a tradgedy.You could sell puppies who look fine and a few years down the road some person is calling you saying their childs beloved pet just died.Would you want your beloved pet to die because of irresponsible breeding?You should always have a pedigree on a dog before it for many reasons other than those above.

IS IT THE REGISTRY YOU CHOOSE TO REGISTER YOUR DOG WITH?

Does the place you register your dog with determine if it will/will not be healthy or correct?It is my belief that the registry should play no part in whether someone is being a BYB.The registry doesn’t determine whether or not your dog is healthy or correct so I see no reason to assume people with dogs of certain registries are BYB.That’s like assuming people of a different race are bad.

IS IT HOW THE PEDIGREE LOOKS AND WHO IS IN IT?

Yes and NO.If your dog has all correct ancestors with no health problems and/or CH. In their ped. Than there is really no reason to not breed.Just because a dog has ancestors that weren’t CH. Does not mean that it will not produce CH.If it has no CH. Than you must be sure the dog is correct before breeding it by taking it to a breed show expert/judge.One that is very reputable from a registry such as UKC/ADBA etc.Pedigrees help you see the lineage of your dog to give you a idea of what your dog will produce and whether there are genetic defects etc. In the lines.This is very important information when you are breeding because it tells you a lot about how the puppies will come out before they are even conceived to give you an idea of whether you are making a correct choice or not.

IS IT THE BREEDING PRACTICES YOU USE?

Does how you breed determine if the puppies/dog will be correct or healthy?Yes and No. Back to back breeding is not good BUT it has been said if it is only done for 2-3 times than its better for them.This is a technique some people with show dogs use.If you are using a dog for breeding purposes only than you must at least skip a heat before breeding the dog again.Otherwise it can lower the mothers immune system which can produce unhealthy puppies.It is my belief that the way you breed has nothing to do with conformation.

2. thablacksheep

thablacksheep Big Dog

Aren't there plenty of threads on this particular subject allready?

3. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Yes there are.

4. prettyfulpitbull

OK.I just thought this person had a weird opinion on all this.THX ANYWAYS.

5. ok I am not for BYB, but it seems lately this site has been nothing but BYB why the big BYB hype lately.

6. Attila

Attila Guest

It has some to do with media hype. And also the abundance of low quality dogs hitting the streets. Not every one is trying to breed for betterment. You and I wan't a strong line to show and compete on pull. I also like a good hunting dog with a strong drive. But I also want it to be managable and listen to commands. There are too many people just pumping out the dogs to sell for what ever reasons other than something of use to than legitament. Many are producing substandard dogs and also ones of questionable lines. It is redundant but the rhetoric keeps it atop our minds. Lest we not forget it. I have yet to make it through all the treads this group has. On the home page it states how many members, threads and all the stats like that. It is tremedous. Some one could write many books on that information even after editing.

7. prettyfulpitbull

good info!!!

8. DEACON ROM

DEACON ROM Top Dog

byb breeders are like homosexuals...there not just in the military, there everywhere. and have been on the "time line" for quite awhile.