1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What Dewormer do you use?

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by performanceknls, Feb 2, 2009.

1. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I looked back at past posts and couldn't find what I was looking for. I need to deworm my kennel and a friends kennel and was looking for something that I could get at the feed store. My friend left to Iraq for a few months and I told him I would go deworm his kennel with his wife. Then I figure I should do my kennel too since we have had several rescues come through. I need to deworm about 30 dogs but didn't want to get raped by the vet. I know many of you deworm your kennel from stuff you can get at the feed store. I have always used panacur but was trying to get something cheaper.
    So what do you use to deworm your kennel? Something that gets Whip, Tape, and round. Thank you

2. KADO

KADO Pup

D Worm, little tablets I put in a treat. I have always had good luck with it and a vet recommended it to me.

3. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Someone else said Safeguard. I will see how that works.

4. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Safegaurd and panacur are the same exact thing and cost almost the same that will be your best route, thats what i use. a tub that does a 1000 pounds cost around 8 dollars, thats cheap enough for me.

5. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Get CA JACK's "TIPS" or "PITBULL BIBLE" and save yourself alot of headaches and worry....although the auther may not be liked by many his book is the "REAL DEAL" and very informative and helpful!

YIS

6. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I bought the Safegaurd wormer at Tractor supply but haven't used it yet because I am not sure of the dosage. The active indgredient is Fenbenazole? (not sure on the spelling). Want to be sure on the dosage before I use it. Any tips?

7. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

That was my concern too, anyone have dosage for the safeguard?

8. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

we use panacur it's three notches aday for three days. it works great for us.

9. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

The safeguard I have seen has the dosages right on the box.

You could also get a script from the vet for Drontal Plus. It covers more types of tapes but it is pricey.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  10. hoovereport77

hoovereport77 Big Dog

i use canimax bro its a dewormer and heartguard in one

11. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

i just eye it up , you cant hurt the dog if you accidentally give him extra. I put a little glob on the tip of my index finger for three days and then repeat it two weeks later.
    Or if you can see the notches on the tube they are notched in pounds so just try to adjust it to what weight your dog is and that's the amount but the tip of your finger will work good.

12. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I'm old school, Piperzine is very cheap and you can probally get enough to do all your dogs for less than 20 bucks..

13. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Nowadays worms can build up a resistance to the same wormer used monthly year after year....it is a good idea to start using different types of wormers or a combination of 2 types.

Ivomec 1% (Ivermectin) for Heart Worm prevention to be given at 1/10thcc per every 10lbs. Broad-spectrum control for both internal and external parasites.
    Gastrointestinal roundworms, Lungworms, Grubs, Sucking lice and Chorioptic and Sarcoptic mange mites.

FENBENDAZOLE (Safe-Guard) treats and prevents roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms. Dosage at 1gram for every 10lbs for 3 days. (eg. 4 grams for a 40lb dog for 3 days in a row) (FENBENDAZOLE is only to be given twice a year, every 6 months)

PYRANTEL (Strongid P) Pyrantel pamoate in paste form. Labeled for control of large and small strongyles, pinworms and roundworms. 1 cc per 60 pounds body weight orally.
    Double dose for tapeworms. (Strongid T) 1cc per 20lbs.Safe for puppies.

PRAZIQUANTEL (Fish Tapes Forte) Contains 170mg of the active ingredient Praziquantel per water soluble capsule for removal of tapeworms in dogs.
    Dosage at 34mg per every 10lb.
    34mg x 5 = 170mg = 50lb dog. (Use only as needed or in pre-keep)

YIS

14. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I don't have a whole bunch of dogs, but when I worm I get Nemex form the vet. I can do all 6 for under 20 dollars.

15. BKNLS

BKNLS Guest

Safe-guard 10% (Fenbendazole)

1ml or 1cc (ml's=cc's) per every 5lbs for three days.

Make sure you get the 10% strength formula.

16. Zimecterin Gold Paste-Ivermectin 1.55%/Praziquantel 7.75%

I just put a M&M size glob on my finger and wipe it on the back of their tongue for dogs under 40.Over 40 a peanut M&M size glob.

Roughly .05cc for every 10lbs

17. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I usually use Safeguard,I get it in the 1000 ml bottles for around $130 or so.You can get it in a little125 ml bottle for something like $15 if you don't want to buy that much. I give 1 cc for every 5 pounds,but it don't take care of tapeworms.

18. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I believe the ingredient in safe guard is the only one that kill all harmful intestinal worms. That what i use twice a year along with Ivermec 1% every month.

19. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I like to use safeguard because of the price,but I haven't noticed it really doing anything for tapeworms.I had a dog get a case of tapeworms a few months ago and I ended up having to use the D worm tablets.I believe the key ingredient in D worm is praziquantel.

20. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

That's what we always use. They changed the prescribing for it now here though so you can't just get it over the counter and have to bring the dogs in for a check up, fecal exam, the whole deal before they'll even give it to you. :rolleyes: