1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What Dewormer do you use?

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by performanceknls, Feb 2, 2009.

1. NOTK

NOTK Banned

also I didnt just wake up one morning and decide to do this was reccomended to me by a friend and i have seen the way her dogs look which is why i decided to try.

2. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

Safeguard and Ivermec for me...never had a problem

Cant really do too much of either, would really have to give alot...

3. Pit Bull Pride

Pit Bull Pride Big Dog

Not for nothin but I've worked for a veterinarian for 12 years and we've had our share of dogs coming in that have died or almost died from rat-poisoning, even from eating a rat that was killed from rat poisoning. It's toxic. But to each his own I guess.

4. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

rat poisoning that's just crazy man:mad: safeguard, green & white tube:D formly known as horse wormer, small drop will do!

5. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

glad someone else thought rat poison was a little extreme

6. NOTK

NOTK Banned

hehe so what you guys are telling me is that my dog died no way it could have made it ,ok to each his own hehehe.

7. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Frank this is actually one of the times i agree with you

8. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

Hell, it's extreme alright, but even more it's STUPID. Who the hell gives there dogs rat poison to worm them.Let me guess cyanide for kennel cough, oh how bout dipping them in Round Up for fleas???

9. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Using rat poison to worm your dog is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Rat poison is an anti-coagulant. That means it causes internal bleeding. Why take a chance on killing your dog just to kill the worms? The most effective (and cost-effective) wormers to use on a regular basis are generic ivermectin and generic pyrantel pamoate.

10. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

I use ivermectin once a month, and strongid on puppies up to the age of 6 months.

11. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Just a heads up. I personally know of 3 dogs that have contracted heartworms, while taking Interceptor on a regular/monthly basis. Interceptor admitted that it happens, and paid for the dogs' treatment.

12. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

BRODIFACOUM - Active ingredient in D-Con Bait Pellets -

A second generation derivative of dicoumarol, used as an anticoagulant rodenticide. It is more potent, with longer lasting effects, than warfarin. Poisoning in dogs requires treatment with vitamin K1 for at least 3 weeks.

Brodifacoum has a similar mode of action to warfarin. However due to very high potency and long duration of action (elimination half-life of 20 – 130 days), it is characterised as a "second generation" or "superwarfarin" anticoagulant.[3]
    Brodifacoum inhibits the enzyme Vitamin K epoxide reductase. This enzyme is needed for the reconstitution of the vitamin K in its cycle from vitamin K-epoxide, and so brodifacoum steadily decreases the level of active vitamin K in the blood. Vitamin K is required for the synthesis of important substances including prothrombin, which is involved in blood clotting. This disruption becomes increasingly severe until the blood effectively loses any ability to clot.
    In addition, brodifacoum (as with other anticoagulants in toxic doses) increases permeability of blood capillaries; the blood plasma and blood itself begins to leak from the smallest blood vessels. A poisoned animal will suffer progressively worsening internal bleeding, leading to shock, loss of consciousness, and eventually death.
    Brodifacoum is highly lethal to mammals and birds, and extremely lethal to fish. It is a highly cumulative poison, due to its high lipophilicity and extremely slow elimination

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  13. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR DOG FOR WORMING OR YOU WILL RISK DEATH OF YOUR ANIMAL.
    I have seen many cases of poisoning over the years and the majority of them are from this chemical and others like it.

Go to the feed store and get a generic Ivermectin and a generic Pyrantel Pamoate and this should cover the majority of any worming issues you might have safely. If you are not comfortable with using those two products then my best advise is to go to your local vet and they can give you the medications you need.

14. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

There are many people who are still learning and may actually try your advise, DO NOT RECCOMEND POISON.

Just because you claim it works for you doesn't mean you should be advocating this method, someoine might actually try it and kill thier dog in the process......The Objective of Game-Dogs is to preserve the life of these dogs not kill them.

Rule #7
    7. Avoid advising or suggesting treatments of medical conditions. Do not take advice for treating medical conditions before consulting a licensed veterinarian.

15. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

:eek::rolleyes: D-Con? Really? I have heard some outlandish, bizarre... and just plain stupid advice in my few short years with these dogs... but rat poison as a de-wormer?

You have to be a damn fool to even consider taking that advice from a "friend". But to post that shit on a public message board? Thank God your post count is not higher or some folks might take your word as gold.

Anyway, Ivermectin as a monthly heart-worm preventative and generic pyrantel as needed.

16. Rebs

Rebs Banned

Dectomax brand or just doramectin mate. It does all worms, ticks, and its a heartworm preventative.
    Unlike Ivermectin it wont cross the blood brain barrier.
    Dosage rate is 1ml for each 20kg-44lb of weight subcutaneously.

17. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

as far as heart worm prevention goes change water daily

pour it out every night turn water bowle/bucket upside down

refill the next morning

heart worms are contracted from drinking stagnet water
    with mosquito eggs and larve in it

from my understanding anyway

18. Luk8272

Luk8272 Big Dog

Sorry for coming on so late to answer your question. Just something my father did since I was a child. Twice a year he skips their month med and would give a shot to all the dogs. Suppose its just to clean things up. Also It aids if you don't alternate HW meds, where as the worms can develope a resistance. Not to mention the Ivermec kills more types of worms.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  19. Luk8272

Luk8272 Big Dog

What other treatment would you reccomend? I have never heard of the Ivermectin, is it the same as the Ivomec? Or would it be something you can give monthly? I've always heard it was hard on the liver, the Ivomec which is why I only apply 2 times a year at 1/10 cc per 11lbs. and alternate with an additional prevention.

I add a TSP of ACV to my dogs water every day, once I clean it seems to keep the mosquitos out of the water. Not only that but helps keep the bugs off of the dogs once it is in their system.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  20. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

Ivermectin is the active ingredient in Ivomec. There are a few other brands also. I give it monthly.