1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What do you look for!???

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by CajunBoulette, Apr 27, 2014.

1. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I think when breeding a dog you should know how deep that well is

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Cage, I agree. And I don't think we THINK that. I think we KNOW that. Both type dogs as well as the rare ones with both going for 'em have purpose.

3. Another way of saying something I heard Maurice Carver say many years ago. Always breed for gameness, and consider anything else you get as gravy. Be patient , and the other stuff will begin to fall in place, and you can begin your culling. My opinion; gameness always first. Good post Cajun.

4. old goat

old goat CH Dog

if yours is game and smart all he has to do is hold on until the gas runs out . to many hard mouths walk away when they can't do what they want .

5. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Only one way to find out how deep that well really is n that's to make it dry..a dead game dog is no good to anyone.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

6. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

You ain't gotta take on to the grave.... But I'd sure like to see more than 45 mins

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

7. JP38

JP38 Pup

I like long Distant runners sprinter usually but not all run out gas and heart fairly fast. a long distant runner has the will to stay there and knows in the long run he he out run a sprinter.

8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

It aint the time that matters. Its whats going on during the time what counts. 2 hour ear sucking vs 30min of chasing the wholly ghost is a tail of two citys.

I wouldnt give my worst enamy them euro hounds that went 16 hour suckfest.

9. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

The time has nothing to do with it, man, just like conditioning an animal. It's all about how much work is being put in n the eyes watching the animal.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

10. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

The 45+ minute mark is usually the difference maker but winning a race and oil checking are two completely different scenarios.

11. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Even if you go 45 trying to check the oil its not weather they make it to/past the mark but how they PERFORM while doing so that will help you to determine how to best prepare them for the race

12. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Big Dog

When breeding I think gameness is first. However when showing, the ability to win comes first and hopefully the dog you are showing comes from a long line of game dogs. Game does not always equal show quality and vise versa. I learned this the hard way.

13. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Big Dog

There is no set time you should be set on seeing. You should be able to read a dog by there actions and time means nothing. I've seen dogs looked at for long periods quit in short order.

14. kdue

kdue Big Dog

some say mouth, some wind, some gameness, some ability, but in the end don't we all just want a winner? so to answer the question, i would look for a winner, but im a noob so that may be a bit harder for me!

15. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

My best herman edwards voice " you play the game to win" the one and only voice of reason " show your best no matter what"

16. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Time matters to a degree. But it isn't the crux of what you need to see in every instance. A dog that gets pounded for twelve minutes and still wants more hasn't been through enough length of the situation to also see wind, and especially his or her WILL to keep going. On the other hand, a 45 minute plus waltz doesn't tell you either.

You need to see ample time and wear-and-tear in both performance looks and in looking toward the long end of things.

One looks more toward dominance, coupled with the will to hang in there when seeing if one is worth competing. The long end requires at least ample bottom time, as you cannot see gameness on top.

In either and both cases, one needs to see a combination of both time and wear-and-tear to make the proper calls. I like a watch for a guideline, but not an absolute rule.

17. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Yes also I guess sense we were speaking of choices of dog that you'd breed to makes it a bit different convo than just talking performance

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

18. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

If I had one that one all of his races fast I'd be a happy SOB, but I'd like to know he had enough in the tank for a long ride

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

19. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Big Dog

I should elaborate. If you have dealt with a certain line long enough it shouldn't take you an hour to know what you got. You should have a pretty good idea after a short amount of time. Different lines have different qualities so you really have to know what the average of the line is. You shouldn't have to take a dog to his limits to know what the dog is. If you truly know the dogs you are working with. It really takes more of a good eye than a certain amount of time to truely know what you have.

20. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

What if you had one that won 3 never making it look hard? Would you breed him?