1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What do you look for!???

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by CajunBoulette, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Depends on the line of dogs he came down from but most likely yes.

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

"What if you had one that won 3 never making it look hard? Would you breed him"............ As long as the comp was top notch after 3 that ass is getting bred.

At the end of the day they can produce or they cant. performance and production are two different things and can be looked at differently.

The man behind the dog is the big factor.

PS i'd breed the balls off the most rank if the dog had the ability to produce good'ns of quality ( don't go breeding showdogs tho)

3. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

That seems pretty short sighted, Ben Brockton. Eventually the average of your dogs will come back to the surface after that exceptional producer is gone... And guess what? Your average is based around a rank cur.

4. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Chances are, I'd keep him matched another time or two. That would be first. Then, if I thought the competition he made it look easy with was GOOD competition, I MIGHT breed him if he is solid all around and behind him. And if he is bred here within my family of scruffy tails, I would already know that part.

What I have done before with an easy winner or two is put them under a little more duress than they've encountered to date. Then, if he is much more than just a front runner, I'd entertain breeding him.

Normally, as far as breeding goes, I have what I call my gray area...................whereby not enough of a look is not going to work, and too much then you don't have a dog. That gray area should be rather close to the latter of those two. Experience is your friend in these deep looks as much as it is with your winability looks. So is being honest with yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  5. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

I've never bred to curs cause I had good game proven winning studs, but the most important thing was family,who bred the dog and what family did it come from.
    I didn't mind breeding a bitch based on her pedigree only, at least once to see if she could produce but she had to be from a very good female family and her daddy had to be a good producing bulldog and even more a winning bulldog who threw winners.
    But in my experience the best studs were most often also the best performers, that's how you get and keep ability in your dogs, performance in your sire and in your brood sire.

6. poorfarmkennels

poorfarmkennels Big Dog

i was gonna say yeah breed em to a game bitch and go with it. if hes a powerhouse ace type and i know the gyp id hope to get bred is true it seems like it could work.? tdk your post made me think twice about it. what if male is a horse?

7. benthere

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Aaah good. Not just me. I wasn't sure if Poor meant a rough dog, strong dog, or literally, a horse. LMAO

9. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Steelydan a famley dont thrive off of one dog lol. You dont understand that the man behind the dog is the bigest factor.

Being in all you cant breed a dog to itself means you will need new influx of genes. This is where the man behind the dogs is important.

A fam avg the standard is set by the man making them.

10. benthere

Ok. Take thoroughbred racehorses for instance. Seattle Slew, very modest yearling with an good but not great pedigree, sold for $17,000 dollars which ain't much even in his day. His performance was incredible not just winning the triple crown but proving his 'gameness' and displaying an incredible will to dominate his competition.
    He in turn didn't just become a great stud he became the greatest stud in his day.
    Why???
    He had the will. It's all about the will that a stud can pass to his offspring, that's the truth and its proven in performance. He threw horses that not only had the ability to run they had the will and they in turn could reproduce it in their offspring.
    That's the bottom line in performance breeds don't matter if its horses, dogs etc its the will to win you look for, without it you're second place.

11. poorfarmkennels

poorfarmkennels Big Dog

lol. i meant big big big dog but im glad i said horse.

12. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Depends, PFK. I've known large dogs that were the only large dogs in their nucleus of dogs, and didn't throw "horses". I'd want that more than one from a family of traditionally large dogs.

13. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Can't be said any better. A winning dog and a breeding dog can be one in the same, but at the same time can be miles apart. If I am standing on top of an all out freak that nothing has stayed with for any amount of time. We are going on a ride together. Maybe he has only waded out to knee-deep water and maybe I am not so sure he is my new foundation dog, but we ride the same. And like BB said, once we decide to take that ride the goal is to ride back together. S

14. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

"A winning dog and a breeding dog can be one in the same, but at the same time, be miles apart."

My point exactly.

15. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

As your post stated... A rank stud producing you many good dogs. See how that cur translates to many of that same ilk in your dogs?

As for someone not understanding standards. THIS MAN behind THESE DOGS have better standards and options than to breed to any cur, no matter how good he's producing or how great he was. Simply because... I'm not in bulldogs to fuck around with cur anything.

16. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

Makes sense. Typically upbreeding in a program is done through solid typical family bred brood bitches and exceptional studs.

I kinda left my feelings on my previous post about curs in a breeding program. Is any program perfect? No. Should we knowingly proliferate that trait? Fuuuuck no. Love an honest dog too damn much.

17. I'll say this the longest race I have seen was 2:40 and that was some boring shit.... no holes just spit...all I could think about while watching that was dam they need to breed some mouth to that shit... GAMENESS should be #1 but at some point you as a breeder/competitor should know when your line needs to be UPGRADED

18. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

2:40 is a long time. That is why personal knowledge is important in these dogs. Perceptions can be deceiving...

2:40 on a stud advertisement pretty much indicates a game dog. Desirable.

2:40 of swapping spit (as you indicated) not so desirable.

A 2:40 win on a resume looks good as the overwhelming majority of the people who see it in a pedigree or a stud service never actually see the dog.

19. benthere

20. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Steelydan a good producing dog is about as rare as a game dog lol. you think they grow on trees?

If a plug has a place a teacher has a place why not a no talent cur that can produce quality dogs?