1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What do you look for!???

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by CajunBoulette, Apr 27, 2014.

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Also Wtf is" honest" if its broke in 60? folks talk game shit this and that. Make high rank with a rough cur and lose to a fucking duck. Dont mater the fertilizer paid for a new Harley.

You can make any dog cur. By the time you find out you cant it too late and dont matter. so what ideas you love are only made up rules to a game a few folks made up lol

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

That was my point. You had personal knowledge of that particular 2:40. Most do not. Jeep and Homer went well over three. Neither really left anything to be desired, nor did they have anything missing. Perceptions can be deceiving.

As far as your Eli powered cars :45 and out is great but it is not exclusive to the Eli club. Tons of true finishers powered by other type engines. For every one of your Eli powered :45 minute finishers there are 10 Eli cars that broke a crankshaft in :20. Same with every other make and model. There is not one engine out there with anything close to a monopoly on success. Not one. S

4. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I guess this is one of those topics that kinda get blurred, a betting man will see it one way and a breeding man another

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

6. slim12

It is not so much getting blurred, as they can be the same and at the same time completely different. A betting man will lay his money down on a freak mouthed, bad sign showing front running cur if it looks like he can win. A breeder will by pass that dog and look for consistency within a certain family with a higher percentage of game dogs.

And in the same breath, that freak mouth front running cur may produce a high percentage of game dogs. Both the gambler and the breeder do things to put odds in their favor they just sometimes use two different dogs to get there. S

7. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Good point. When I say blurred I mean by the opinion in the eye of the beholder. Some will feel one way and some the others. But like you said most time the common goal is the same, just a difference in preferred route. Only time your wrong is when you ain't right, if ya feel me!

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

One who breeds his own dogs is definitely looking for consistency of the basic traits necessary for continuance of good, competitive dogs. Game dogs AND winners. That's a very good point, Slim. That is the differential in most cases between that guy and the sporting gambler. I have made that same point but in different words on many occasions and on many threads much like this one.

Without sporting gamblers, we who breed, school, check and measure competitiveness would have no guideline or measuring stick for the quality of our dogs. Without the best breeders, the gamblers would often not have dogs to gamble on. This symbiotic system is what keeps the sport alive.

Anyone who has been around a minute or more must surely recognizes that "what we look for" largely depends on who we are and what we mostly do in these dogs. I don't deem it as blurred as it is diverse, and it's only fair to yield validity to whatever one's niche in the dogs is, as long as he or she does it with proper scruples and dedication.

I believe a breeder should look for anything good, improving and plus side within some good consistency. So, in effect, there shouldn't be just one thing and one thing only to look for, albeit gameness should always be a must for a brood dog. I don't particularly "look for" specifics other than certain consistencies I desire. I firmly believe in knowing what I DO see, read it, then react to it with what I do.

9. keystone

keystone CH Dog

yep many different people in this game with many different interest

10. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Good posts Slim and TDK!

11. slim12

Agreed. It takes all kinds to make the dog game go around. I doubt the game would survive without both. The symbiotic reference is spot on.

S

12. I have a ? For breeders on line . Does the colors in a litter determined the pick of the litter. Like keeping the black pup off Eli dogs or the buck skin pup off the jeep litter and so on .I just want to hear your veiws.

Sent from my HTC One SV BLK using Tapatalk

13. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Color can sometimes be used as a tool in some crosses but should NEVER be the main prioriy.

14. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I totally concern myself with what is UNDER the fur. I do like a pretty pup because I have to see it for a long time before it matures. LOL

15. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I've never picked one I kept off color.... I picked on once because he had a white X on his chest and I thought he had been marked as the one lmao

Sincerely Yours, Cajun