1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think works better Inbreeding, Line Breeding or complete out crossing?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by loudboyjr, Nov 27, 2010.

1. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

Re: What do you think works better Inbreeding, Line Breeding or complete out crossing

bullhead its a post http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47990 where we were tlkn about curs and ch. you should check it out because i said the same thing you just said as far as the dog being tested or PROVEN game... just check the thread out... and i think (and correct me if im wrong historic info) what historic-info was saying is that some bloodlines are more prevalent in certain areas than others... because im from the north but stayed in several different southern states and to me it does seem that in certain areas they believe in certain dogs and wont run anything else...
    and i think that is what determines what ppl do with their dogs 99 % of the time because they're worried about what someone else will think... but the proof is in the pudding... and on an whole other note alot of dogs from the past arent bred like you think and i DEFINITELY believe every founding father of this sport used a cur... whether you know it or not...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  2. elibred

elibred Big Dog

Re: What do you think works better Inbreeding, Line Breeding or complete out crossing

well.
    it was a hypothetical question meaning that it was not directed to any one person.
    you wont get consistent all around dogs from any other breeding either. its a crap shoot not saying i would breed culls and curs intentionally either but i just want to know how one would feel when you breed your so called "best to best" and still have to cull the whole liter while the so called cull/cur produced better. remember for some of you fast readers this is a hypothetical question.:D

3. elibred

elibred Big Dog

4. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

elibred... i think its aleast one cur or an untested dog in every dogs bloodline and if a dog is untested i think thats worse than being a cur in a way...if i like the dog id feed it... unless somebody else was buying the feed *laughing*

5. bullhead

bullhead Pup

i apologize if i have come across as rude in my posts. def. not how i want to be percieved i'm sorry, its more of ball bustin like i know ya, i guess i would expect the same in return, sorry.

i beleive dif. bloodlines can be noticeably dif. from one another. but to have the same bloodline be dif. in varing locales than it has to be because of generations worth of selecting. so i guess what your saying by that, i think your def. RIGHT. (who in the hell said i was right anyway ;)) but i think it takes longer than some think, that is as long as it is the same blood and not crosses we're talking about. the shit gets complicated and i like me an openminded objective stance. there are books written about this shit.... basicly "acclimatizing to ones enviroment" people creating what they like (usually based on their friends opinion, lol) so in large its a culture thing.. i think i understand :rolleyes: lol... to many variables... that make the complexity that in turn makes more variables and so on is the evolutionary march... my brain is starting to hurt

6. bullhead

bullhead Pup

and as far as the curs go, again its the Devil's advocate stance that i took just to prove a point. obviously filling the ped with curs will get you curs. but one here or there aint gonna hurt anyone, and when done right can even be a better producer. culling ruthlessly is only if you are starting, putting together a breed, not with one that is already established. and i gotta say to the elitest; culling is a necassary evil, you should only do it with a heavy heavy heart, if not, you shouldnt breed at all. having said that i'd bet any honest elitest must feel pretty damn guilty.

7. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

Another reason its different by areas is stud...r u gonna ship your bitch around our take a ride locally

8. bullhead

bullhead Pup

good post eddie but again i would lump that cultural. your willing to do what others in your area are doing because its easier for you to do so, just makes sense, but that in turn leads to a cultural thing in that area. a bit of isolation... in the end its a group effort. an isolated culture... just another varible that makes more variation.

i love variation cant evolve without it. need the outcrosses but cant have them proper without breeding tight. i need to keep a family good an tight so ican make my crosses and scatterbreds, and by that i keep the traits and the vigor. my opinion anyway.

9. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Excellent post.

10. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

me personally i wouldnt trust my bitch to be shipped out unless i really TRUSTED that person... id be scared that i wouldnt get what i paid for... and just a greenie question but why dont ppl ship the stud out????

11. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

and i know in my area its hard to get some else to stud your dog because they dont want you to have any of their blood... its very friend oriented even though they may run different stuff they only deal with each other.... thats part of the reason i asked my question because ive heard, seen and have my own thought pattern when it comes to breeding and knew you guys would give me some insight as well and thats why i joined because i know its some knowledgeable ppl here and i love taking good info and adding it to my book

12. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Because you want to breed to him. If you buy something at a store, you go to the store. The store doesn't come to you.

13. loudboyjr

loudboyjr Banned

true!!!:D... could you always bring your bitch and take her back everyday of the breeding? as far as i come to where you stay... and let them mate go to the hotel, take my bitch then bring her back?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  14. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

If you trust them, you leave your bitch there. If you don't trust them, then you could stay at a hotel or just stick them once and drive home.

15. 3596

3596 Pup

my own approach towards breeding in general, was when i read literature from breeders who have 30-40+ yrs of experience,eg tudor,boudreaux,corvino etc.frank fitzwater said? breed your "game" dogs & you will get your fightingdogs. i can't argue with a man who influenced great breeders himself.this theory,i think? should be practiced by all.but no! there are people with egos? who think they can improve or do better with inbreeding/linebreeding or outcrossing with cur stock.its not the way to do it folks.

16. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i got another example of what somne may consider a cross, but it is simply blending three different strains together. maverick/sixbits/nigerino. that blend of three different strains of eli is something that most of the great eli breeders have done. then you could add rascal to that, or even chinaman. another great blend would be chinaman and kemmer dogs because they arer both based of eli carver crosses.

17. Re: What do you think works better Inbreeding, Line Breeding or complete out crossing

I like the thinking...........I'd like to see a Rascal/Kemmer cross even more than the Chinaman/Kemmer cross because it wouldn't have the Snooty in it that the Chinaman/Kemmer cross would have.

18. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i think that rascal cross would work real good

19. 3596

3596 Pup

totally agree there Boze,keeping the eli blood together,by way of other related dogs.the breeder that i get my own pups from has been working tested redboy blood the same way,for twenty yrs,& the results are good.advantage is, you how they work,& what your working with.

20. elibred

elibred Big Dog

well damn boze, that maverick/sixbits/nigerino cross is exactly what im shooting for in the future. i also agree with crossing the eli blood together through different strains. i've even been studying up on some bolio/tombstone, mims and boyles stuff also.