1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What is a dog man?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by stratos9, Dec 7, 2010.

1. stratos9

stratos9 Banned

SEPT./OCT. 1978 (SPORTING DOG JOURNAL)

TITLE: WHAT IS A DOG MAN.....by OZZIE STEVENS

A dogman is an individual who puts dogs at the top of the list of activities he participates in.
    He raises dogs to match. He matches as often as they are available. He goes into the highest rated animal in his vicinity.
    He knows a good dog or bitch when he sees one.
    He breeds his share of HIGH QUALITY COMBAT DOGS.
    Some dogman are more ambitious than others. They plan ahead for the future, some do not want to come out of their neck of the woods, while others will travel to several different states for the opportunity to match. We have our dogman that roll thirty times a year, but match only once every four years. We have our dogman who match ten or twelve times a year ( these are the ambitious ones). We have the pit side talkers, who talk a good fight, or criticize the pit contestants, but when called upon to match have some excuse like "I'm too busy to condition", "I work too late", or "I have a bad knee". The above excuses are the result of laziness or of being afraid to lose. We have some dogman that claim this certain dog in thier bloodlines won or killed over twelve dogs, when in reality, no one ever seen this dog win or one match and nothing was ever reported in the journal. We have talkers who have baddest dogs in the world, but they will NEVER ever match.
    Everyone has the right to express his opinion and we all do, but the real dogman will back up his opinion with his dogs and his money.

Which category do you fall in?

The cover of this issue has Pat & Maurice Carver holding a rooster!!

P.S. Just happen to see in this same issue some other things that interesed me and some that might you:

There's a picture of Divines' "ACE" out of the "CASSIUS CLAY" X Divines' "PATTY"(littermate to Gr. Ch. ART) dog which I was very familiar since I was only 20 miles from him and had breedings with his "BRUCE" dog.
    We matched into ACE'S good son "LITTLE ACE" and about 1/2 way thru the keep they called us and said that thier 2x winner "LITTLE ACE" was not going to be able to make the date but, they had another one coming from OHIO a 2x winner (we're in Fl.) that would take it's place, well that didn't work out very well for Them either.

Divines' "ACE" won over Hudson's "TEX" in a famous battle.

Which all my line of dogs are thru Loposay's "Buster" so I really didn't like that outcome.LOL!!!

stratos

2. stratos9

stratos9 Banned

In the above dealings with the shipped in OHIO (ringer) if you might be wondering what we had for Divines, this was his pedigree

BB URL CODE:BROWN'S IRONSIDES

He never would start until 2 1/2 years old, but when he did. (ASSASSIN) After we won 3 with him (none over 38 min.) and all died, it was kinda hard to get back in around FL. That's when I learned to wait on them if you got a gut feelin'.

3. Some people have a strict almost scientific regiment they follow when dealing with their dogs.From my experience,the dogmen and their dogs that have stood the test of time have been the ones with a good eye and gut feelin 4 a dog.I was always taught that good dog breeding is an art form.not science!! FRIEND