1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what should i do???? help me please

Discussion in 'Difficulties' started by jadesmommy, Mar 10, 2008.

1. i have a 6 month old female pit that i have had 1 week and 1 day (as of today) and she has become VERY attached to me. she follows me everywhere and wont go to anyone else (my boyfriend and his son lives with me) she wont go outside for anyone but me and she wont even get out of bed until she hears me come home. should i try to distance myself from her? do i not show her enough love? i mean come on when i get home she sits on my lap for atleast an hours if not more. she just cant seem to get close enough to me. what should i do????

2. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

stop babying her, teach her some limitations and show her that everyone in ur house is alpha over her. These traits u describe could become a serious issue in the future so fix them now while she's still young

3. GABulldog

GABulldog Big Dog

watch the dog whisperer on NATGEO...easy source to learn how NOT to treat your dog, they arent baby's...their animals and companions.

4. sapitbulls

sapitbulls Guest

I highly agree with this More then possible. I bought my first pit when she was 5 months i believe. Well she became very very loyal to me. At first it made me feel good and so on. But my current girlfreind at the time hated it she get close to me and my dog would growl our get in between us even would try and kick her out the bed. I thought it was the best thing in the world at the time. Who woudent want a dog that would keep your woman away from you so you dident have to cuddle when you didenet want to. Well after awhile it got worse i moved back into my parents and she finally started to let them take her outside and so on. Well one day i went to pet my brother dog and guess what she jumped her and was about to get ahold of her well i stoped her and threw her in the crate for the day. Another accasion i had chelsea on a leash sitting in a lawn chair and little kids where running around and alot of people she never seen before. Well i had my dog really close and told all the kids not to come to me our to the dog because she iffy around people till she knows you. But go ahead and play with my other pitbull. Well what do you know a little girl comes running up to me real fast and got next to chelsea. WHAT DOES CHELSEA DO PROTETIVE JEALOUS BITCH KICKS IN. and whips around and growls like she was going to attack. AND WHAT DID I DO. I WHIP THE SHIT OUT MY DOG. And now that she has gottin older and so on she is alot more laid back. What im trying to say is your dog will grow to get like a jealous obsessive girlfreind/boyfreind and wont let you hang around other strange our new dogs our so on and will just be a bitch.

5. ok so i guess its not as bad as i had originally thought. when im not home she is fine with my boyfriend and his son (so he says). we took her to pets mart to get her nails clipped on sat and was very good with the other dogs and other people. i dont believe i "baby" her. i just show her love and attention. dont get me wrong...i do not give her attention every waking moment. lol i do have a 2 year old in the house. but i will be taking all of your suggestions as i dont want this to turn into a problem. as with taking your suggestions i am worried what this will do to Jade...

6. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

here's a suggestion, obedience training, ur dogs needs it asap and a lot of it

7. she has been trained. she knows all of her commands and then some. lol she does some of the weirdest stuff too. like she will sit there look at you and then all the sudden she starts scootin her butt in circles LOL that means she has to go outside. she plays dead "bang bang" shutting off and turning on the light switch. is there anything else a house dog really needs to know?

8. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Your dog demonstrates a great ability to learn things. This is really a good thing. Any dog needs to learn pack ranking, house or working. Since your pup is a dog that has drive and physical prowess it is quite important that she see every 2 legged being as higher than her in the "pack". The fact that she only reacts to the other folks in your home when you are gone says to me that as soon as you walk in the door, she shuffles the pack rank, and puts herself higher than the other humans under you. This would not be so bothersome if she were a Chi, but she is a PB and that means should she feel the need to protect her rank in the pack while you are there she will do so as any other pack animal would, with a correction suitable for another dog....which could mean an injury to a human and a black mark against this breed.

Boi Boi gives sound advice. You cannot love a dog into respecting their humans, she may respect you but she sounds like she only conditionally respects the others in your home when you are there. This is not a good situation. Correct it now, she will learn quickly.

Try a 20 ft drag line. If she is told to do something by anyone in the house, use the drag line to see she complies. Give her no choice...she should not have one anyway. Be consistent, never let her NOT comply. Keep the drag line on at all times for at least two weeks...it won't be long before she "gets it". Letting her choose to ignore the other humans in your home is setting her up for some confusing signals. Dogs are pretty black and white. They do not understand the human "inbetween". Assigning human emotions to explain your dogs behavior humanizes the dog, she is not human. Jade will feel more secure once her rank in the pack is firmly established...and that rank should be all the way at the bottom of your family!

9. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

You did WHAT!?:eek: LOLOLOL!!!!!

10. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Oooohhhh I know *cringe*, I cannot imagine. I was biting my tounge - so thanks for speaking up.

OP you don't by chance take Jade to the dog park, do you?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008