1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what we do with our dogs...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ganja, May 3, 2010.

1. ganja

ganja Big Dog

I am a firm believer in taking care of my own business and a firm believer that these dogs are not for everyone, seeing as how misunderstood they are even by most apbt owners.

I do not know people that I would trust enough to give my dog to, so I asked family to have my dogs humanely PTS if something bad happens to me and I could not care for them anymore and if by then I still didn't have anyone I trusted enough to keep this breed.

this seems to shock a whole lot of people... (mind you, those would mostly be the furmommy/tree hugger category of people :rolleyes:)

what would you want your family do with your dogs if you're no longer there to care for them?

2. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

i share the same believe,if i pass most of mine would be put down with the exception of what ones my wife and two of my close friends wanted to keep.basicly makeing sure none are just handed out at random and going only where i know there in good hands.

3. Colossus

Colossus Big Dog

i have some experienced friends that diffinitly would take care of them if i took a dirtnap :(;), otherwise i agree with your statement to put them a sleep if there is no one suitible for the job. just cant see them in a shelter or something else like that. these dogs are just not suitable for everyone so i wouldn't take the chance.

4. ganja

ganja Big Dog

I just can't understand how so called "breed fanciers" can get SO angry at someone saying that...

don't they understand it's best for everyone, including them?

5. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

have a plan in place for them to go to dogmen close to you. if they don't work out for them then they can do what needs to be done.

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i agree with Naus, hopefully you know at least one dogman who is responsible enough
    the question truely is are your dogs worth takin? lol

7. ganja

ganja Big Dog

that was exactly what the whole argument was about to start with.
    it started when I stated I had my former dog (mutt) PTS because of his severe SA problems.

I have literally tried EVERYTHING for a year and a half, working with a dog trainer and a behaviorist.. conclusion was that there was something 'off' in his head.

will those dogs actually suit potential adopters? even those qualified in the breed...
    how in the world could I find someone not only qualified to own such dogs, but that would want a complete mutt AND on top of all that, that person must be home 24/7 and not even leave the house 5 mins without the dog?!

keep in mind, this dog was so DA that I ended up not even walking him anymore but exersiced him ON LEASH in my own fenced in yard to keep him from getting a hold of another dog.

I would feel awful for taking away a home from very sound dogs that are rotting in cages that will suit other family's 100x better without ANY behavior problems.
    and I would feel awful to if my dog ended up in the evening news because someone lied good enough to me or thought being capable of managing a highly DA dog.

is it that hard to understand it's best for everyone, including the dog?
    I was told that I was selfish for PTS my dog :mad::(

8. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Hopefully my younger brother could/would take them over as he plays a major part now and helps out a lot. That is if the State hasn't taken them by then.

9. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I'm hoping one of my kids will take over where I leave off, (both are into them but one more so than the other). If that don't pan out then I would want them to either go to the people they came from or to the people who were involved with them from the jump. If that don't work out then PTS. Good to plan things out like this. Good thread.;)

10. ganja

ganja Big Dog

yes, I'm hoping now that when I'll get really involved with the dog and start to sport him when he'll be 2, that I'll bond with some people that hold the same views or that at least can handle such dogs without to much trouble or drama.

I could always give my dog to Ali though :p j/k

the only I could really trust would be the dogs breeder (which would have been hard with my mutt lol)

I'll never again buy a pup from a breeder that won't take back his pups if something happens to me.
    he doesn't even responds to mails when I sent him updates on the pup so I highly doubt he'll take em back.

11. Colossus

Colossus Big Dog

when are you bringing him..... Lol :d:d:d:d or better when can i come and pick shogun up!?

12. ganja

ganja Big Dog

lol!

you can come visit any time you want! :D
    I'm sure you'll love each other!

everyone seems to be his new best friend :p

13. ganja

ganja Big Dog

and you'll have ZERO problem stealing him right out of his yard! he want to leave with EVERYONE he meets lol!

he's such an outgoing, loving lil pup :D

14. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

my dogs would be put down.

15. trey01

trey01 Big Dog

I hope my kids take over when im gone.....BUT if i die sooner then later then im takin the dogs with me...

16. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

morbid thread i think but i think my family would take my dog in seeing as i only got one bt if i had more id let my family choose the ones they could handel n care for n the rest maybe put to sleep or given to knowledgeable folks

17. sparksm

sparksm Pup

I recently got married but have been with my now husband for around two years. One of the very first things that I explained and made him promise to do is to divide out and take care of my dogs as I wish if something were to happen to me. I have a small jack russell that is to go to my mom, and a female APBT that is to go to my best friend (who owns two siblings to her and is a responsible owner) and he can keep two (he knows which two) and the rest are to be PTS because there is no one in this world that I not only wouldn't trust to keep them but I wouldn't ask someone else to keep them. Keeping several severly DA dogs and two HA rotts is not for everyone and I wouldn't ask anyone to do that. I live my life that way because I choose to, I love these dogs but don't expect anyone to live like I do dedicating my life to them. I agree anyone who thinks they are a fancier of the breed but would rather have the general public take displaced dogs instead of putting them down is a downright liar, they are no fancier just more of a problem.

18. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

i am lucky enough to only have the one to worry about these days, due too cancer with my younger dog, but im not here for a sob story. i am also lucky enough to have some great friends who have looked after the remaining one i have when i moved to a bsl state, and if something was to happen to me i would be safe to know where she was, its the same house hold im in now and the fellas all know what the rules are with walking her ect and having other dogs around, shes getting on[nearly ten] but still a puppyu and a complete prick around any other dogs, im even lucky enough that the friend who owns the land and house hasnt even grought his own dog on the land since he has owned his new dogs[mollosers] due to my little bitch, if something happened i would die happy knowing that she would live out her years as a well fed plump dog, probly better than what i treat her regarding food!

however if i had more than two dogs when i passed i would prefer that they were all given a dirtnap, just to make sure they never ended up on the news.

19. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

my woman has been around my dogs since we got together 17 years ago. i currently have just a couple that are in my care, so she would make sure they stayed right here with her and my daughters. as for the others, theyre fine where they are right now. no way id want my dogs put down just cuz i kicked off

20. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

seventeen years lee? nice work she must be a keeper! ive got troubles keeping the past five.........or should i say theyve got troubles. lol