1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's a big dog to you?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by CajunBoulette, Apr 21, 2014.

1. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Dont make a difference to me as long as it acts right. I like a 30-40lb female. 40-50 male. Have had catch weight dogs also (to me catch weight is 60-70lbs) - anything over - wouldnt mess with it personally.

But in a perfect world 30f, and 40m...

2. The Handler

The Handler Big Dog

Thats about right when you get up in age anything over 50 to much workfor me

3. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

32-52 in shape. I always liked the bigs. Didn't breed for them but had several thru the yrs. Especially the ones that weren't all bones. 2 of the faster and most athletic males I ever saw were both 48-49. One was owned by DB off of Ninja. He looked 42 tops but when you put your hands on him he felt like steel wrapped in fur. I called him scrap iron and he is still my favorite jeep/rascal dog of all time. I was 250 in shape back then and he could hold me in his chain spot with his front legs wrapped around one of my legs like he was gonna hump me but that was the last thing on his mind. I had to pry him off with all my strength but slow enough as to not piss him off and usually before I could swing that leg out of his reach he would grab the other leg and dare me to move. Don hated it cause it made him nervous but I liked that dog to much to be scared of him. Me and my partner had a 70+ female inbred OS ChollyBoy if I remember correct. She was just dangerously big. Strongest pitbull I've have ever seen. We always feared that her chain was gonna snap when she wanted it to and eventually despite our efforts it did. I just loved to look at her and the dogs out of her were just as black and built as she was but smaller. Incidentally 2 generations later her grandpups where by far the smallest on the yard with the biggest male being high 30's.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

50lb and up are big imo

a female above 45 i would say the same

5. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

A male 48 and a female 43 conditioned weight are what I call big.

6. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

Says the guy with a Mayday avatar. Lol

7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Any thing over 45 is big to me. S

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I don't mind them being 32 to 48, although I'd rather them be closer to the mid 30's to low 40's range in general. I'm talking about chain weight. A bitch over 43 lb is a bit large IMO, although I've seen some great bitches over 40.

The thing I look at is if they are trending too big or too small. If a dog is the only larger dog in its litter, it likely isn't from some big gene flow. It's just an exception and I'm likely to keep the dog if it is a good one. I've had those and they threw small dogs or average sized dogs that were back to the norm for me. A dog of 50 lb chain weight, if he is the only big one in the bunch, and is a good dog, will get a chance from me.

It would be any trend toward too big or too small that would be a concern for me, by way of a higher percentage of them coming beyond my liking.

9. rodeoman069

rodeoman069 Big Dog

10. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I've never had a mayday dog over 45lbs on the chain. I have a grandson off of mayday that is a 40lb dog

11. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

Loosen up its called irony.Jfwy

12. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I dont mind you jfwm. You mentioned mayday and i just mentioned my experience with that line.

13. rodeoman069

rodeoman069 Big Dog

14. Brubaker

Brubaker Big Dog

15. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

16. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

I much preferred the smaller ones. My largest female would have matched at 42, and I really wouldn't have wanted a bigger dog than that, male or female. I had a few quick, clever, and hot-as-pistols little 18- and 20-pounders and I really liked them. All the difference between a littler dog's darting and a bigger dog's lumbering.

17. keystone

keystone CH Dog

depence on the breeding ..sometime they smaller and sometimes they bigger
    biggest was 50 smallest 32

18. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...mid 30's...ideal..size....47/8...tops..the small ones all-ways,looked like more action for sure..

19. The Handler

The Handler Big Dog

Thats a great lookin dog, those dogs ron was breeding are monsters