1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Whats everyones personal feeling on dogs of today?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by 14rock, Sep 11, 2005.

1. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

After researching a little bit on diffrent keeps used by diffrent dogmen, and knowing our dogs of today are in a diffrent class than dogs of the past, I would like to hear everyones inputs on why our dogs are better....Or if you think they are not, I'd also like to hear why you feel that way.

A number of things can be the factor of why (I feel) dogs are continually evolving and getting better year after year. The original reason I began thinking about this was reading some dogmens opinions on keeps. Do you believe our dogs are better simply because we have a better sense of nutrition understanding and therefore can listen to our dogs needs better than say someone working in the early 1920's.

Another factor that will make dogs better is selective breeding, do you feel our dogs are where they are today ONLY because of selective breeding and natural evolution and culling?

Or is it we only believe our dogs are better because this is the time we live in....maybe dogs being produced today arent as good as the ones of the past, do we just feel they are because this is what we grew up seeing? In short, do you believe that dogs being produced from the old champions can never live up to their ancestors, but we never seen them go side by side so we wishfully assume our dogs must be better?

I'm curious as to what everyones personal opinion on this matter is. I feel that all of these are logical explanations for why our dogs are how they are. I feel dogs being bred with a goal in mind can only get better if we continue to cull. Along with that, we now know what it takes for a bulldog to perform at optimum performance, so this also makes the dogs better. However, I also believe that there were dogs of the past our dogs have not yet lived up to.....and that we merely think our dogs compare because this is all we have ever seen. Along with that though, I feel in time all the greats will be surpassed, it is a given to me with natural selection and optimum nutrition dogs, have to continue to evolve until they reach their 100 percent peak (which is still hundreds of years away). This is not to say the greats are any less great, because they were absolutely untouchable for their time, and nothing anyone says can take away from the fact they were as good as the time would allow.

Mhmmm...that gets me thinking again, how great would these legends be if they were born in a time where we can understand them better, work with thier basic needs better, and work them more thoroughly. Maybe the time when our dogs reach their peaks is not so far away.......what is everyones opinion on this.

Thought this would be an intresting thing to hear from diffrent people, see how every diffrent person perceives our dogs of today, and their reasoning of why. However, please do not be too specific, make sure there is not mention of illegal activities.;)

2. WWII

WWII Banned

I dunno. I think of it like football players of today and of the past. Sure, Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas were great players, but how would they do against the defenses of today? There is so much more size, speed, and strength. In their prime, they were great for their decade, but if they were to bring that prime status against say, Ray Lewis or Champ Bailey today, I'd think they'd just get shut down. Same way with dogs. We're looking for stronger, smarter dogs today that have evolved from culling in the past. And in the next 70 years, those future dogs will be better than ours.

3. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

i cant agree...football players havent evolved at all not a bit.training methods,food and drugs have. ex Arnold vs. Ronnie Coleman. it takes 100000 to see much of a change.They culled dogs harder than if anything and we havent changed tihier keeps much.

4. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

5. WWII

WWII Banned

Ronnie is gonna win this year, again.:D I know what you're saying though.

edit: I've seen that pic so many times. You really can't compare them in that one. The ratios are way off.

6. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

cool im not argueing i just think to much lol!

7. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005
  8. B

B CH Dog

A good breeder ends up with better than he/she started or he/she shouldn't be breeding in the first place! The obvious answer is yes but that is being a bit idealistic. Training, nutrition, and technology has take many true APBT gamedog breeders to the next level. Dogs have evolved in the right hands but just as many are taking leaps backwards in the wrong hands. Today we have far more problems with these dogs than the doggers of previous. We deal with far too many mutts, curs, and deformed dogs to possibly consider ourselves superior to the older doggers. They knew what bulldogs were about and they kept their standards in high regard. Today we have greed, ignorance, and fad designs leading the way for the next generation. The gamedog breeders of the past that worked so hard to make this breed what it is today would look at most modern day doggers with their head hung low. Things need to change or this breed (the true APBT gamedog) will be extinct. Overall the dogs coming from the right places might be better but their keepers probably aren't.

B

PS. Of course Ronnie will win.... he's a FREAK!

9. WWII

WWII Banned

Well, I didn't know bodybuilding and dogs were so comparable. It's like the dogs of the past were slimmer and more aesthetic, and not overdone so much. Much like Arnold, Franco, Serge, etc. And now look at what people are calling pit bulls with the super huge wide chests and squatty body. They are kind of like Ronnie and Ruhl now. Just freaks. Huge people with huge guts, but are still being called bodybuilders. The one part of the body that you want smaller, and they grow it. But then there are those that are keeping the true standard of bodybuilding like Chris Cormier, Dexter, Darrem Charles. WHOA!

Ronnie's gut is in check this year. Have you seen the pics of him 7 weeks out? If he gets beat, I'm yelling conspiracy. (It'll be because he dropped that Weider contract and signed with BSN.)

EDIT: That pic is crazy. He looks like he has Tom Platz's legs. Wonder what Tom's legs would look like at him being 40lbs heavier???

10. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

well sounds like we aare kinda talkin genetics.....our dogs havent changed at all in 100 yrs our culling is softer from laws if anything.and arnold would win if he had todays pharmocolgy and diet training methods. lol jmo

11. WWII

WWII Banned

But who's to say his gut wouldn't grow like Kovak's did from HG?

I think we might've highjacked this thread...sorry Rock.

12. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

LOL no prob. didnt seem anyone was really too intrested in it anyways....... In a way, it kind of relates though, both have changed for whatever reasons and which you pick as best is your opinion. Personally, I think those links posted look like mutants, just reminds me of looking at stacked amstaffs in a ring for some reason......looks impressive, even overdone, but you've got to ask yourself? Why? I used to be very serious about lifting and would like to have the time to get back into it.....just dont see why people would lift merely for size and looks when they will never use their strength for anything other than flexing with baby oil on,lol.

13. WWII

WWII Banned

Oh geeze...I'm a human with an amstaff attitude. I'm a serious bodybuilder and lift for mass, not strength. Strength is just a by product for me. And I do pose......with oil.....and look good for the ladies.;)

Even though I think Ronnie is a true freak, I like Dexter's figure a lot more. I'd rather have his build compared to Ron's.

14. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

flex was best!but i agree with bnd.dogs may of been better overall cause the old timers culled more before 76....but through the selective process some dogs could be real good.
    but this thread was fun anyway....Dex kicks ass!!! He got robbed in the pose down at the end the said ronnie beat dex in the ab and thigh shot lmfao!!!! it is fixed.

15. WWII

WWII Banned

Maybe thigh shot, but no one can compare to Dex in abs and symmetry. Just wondering, how did the old timers cull the dogs? Just neuter them and gave them away? Or did they do what I think they did?

16. B

B CH Dog

They fertilized with them...

B

17. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

I feel that some of the dogs today are somewhat better then the most dogs of the past, heres my two words that sum it up......EVOLUTION AND SCIENCE.

18. WWII

WWII Banned

Kinda what I figured. I think I'd rather just have them fixed and given to family and friends. But I dunno. I've never raised a yard before.

19. B

B CH Dog

That can work for some dogs but just because a dog is a cur doesn't mean that it isn't dog aggressive. The dogs need to be placed in homes that are capable of dealing with a gamebred dog (cur or not). Some work well in households with other dogs but a lot of them are still very dog aggressive. They need to be in single animal homes with a responsible owner that is aware of their capabilities. While the animals should be spayed/neutered they are often left intact and some irresponsible people eventually decide to breed them to make some money. In many ways the old timers did things the best way for the dogs and the breed... quick, painless, and not reproducing more unwanted dogs that don't fit the gamedog APBT standard.

Best Regards,

B

20. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

evolution = alot more than 100 yrs it takes about 100000 yrs to notice any change.