1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Whats everyones personal feeling on dogs of today?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by 14rock, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Alot of people think that evolution takes hundreds of thosands of years wrong evolution happens every day when scientist find new species of insect, fish ,or animals thats evolution it might only be subtle changes like color, size ,weight etc. For example scientist have found that humans of today on the average are taller then humans of the past that is a small change but still evolving. Not like how we see on TV where we humans evolve into giant flying brains hahahaha lol now that would take 1000000000years.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  2. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

no disrespect but yes we are bigger but..could it be due to nutrition.Sorry man I know you from else were and i know your a smart dude but i cant agree on evo. we are bigger today cause we ate shitty in the past and didnt get enough vaccines..look at first gen. immagrantes then the second they are bigger its not evo. its just bieng healthier. peace

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Ok let me see if I can explain it better the term evolution means development,progress,growth,rise;natural selection. Evolution is caused by influences around us wether its for the better and we grow and adapt or its for the worse where we become extinct. What you just described as just being healthier because we ate shitty in the past and didnt get enough vaccines is basically evolution we adapt and grow stronger taller bigger etc. Same with the dogs nowdays tend to have more bigger dogs then in the past. Let me give you a fictional example lets say all of a sudden the earths gravity doubled and every living thing on earth would have two scenerios you will either have to adapt and evolve to handle this new gravity or you would just perish and die. The key to evolution is adaptation the failure is you become extinct. Same with game dogs evolve through natuaral selection if you game you live if you not game you get culled or become extinct lol no worries mntman2003 evolution is a big and wide open contraversial topic so big that by the time we find the real true answers to this question we would have evolved 1000000 years hopefully lol.

4. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

What you're talking about is natural evolution. Breeding evolution is much quicker, because it's controlled and guided. A breeder purposely takes and mates two animals that have the desired qualities, therefore greatly speeding the process up. Not to mention, now a days breeding is no longer restricted much by goegraphy. An animal can be shipped to another part of the country, even another country to be bred. This greatly increases the potential for positive evolution.

Natural evolution is two animals mating basically at random and the only selection being natural, whether they survived long enough. Geography also plays a part in this, isolating potential breeding partners from each other.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  5. ochi

ochi Pup

survival of the fittest.. the strong will survive and the weak shall perish..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
  6. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

i agree with you on that but when i think of evolution i think of things on a greater scale.but yes i see your point as far as that goes with the dogs.but evolution is the change over a entire population and is more permanent.we cant reverse evolution but we can loose what we gain through selective breeding......but yes I agree with the idea you are saying peace!

7. B

B CH Dog

Good points! Not only can dogs be shipped but chilled seman can be shipped and even collected for storage and later use long after a dog has passed away extending production for another generation.

Regards,

B

8. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

It is not the survival of the fittest, it is the survival of those who are the most adapted to their environment. And breeding-wise, it is a form of evolution, but the form that exists as selective breeding in which we breed for certain traits. Everything has evolved through natural selection in which nature "selects" the best adapted for living. That's why things change. Now I'm not a fan of evolution, I'd like to think that God created every living creature - but whose to say that He didn't place things on earth with intentions of evolution? It's a touchy topic but evolution exists no matter what the beliefs.

9. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

These dogs can't keep getting better, only we can become better owners, more disciplined, more knowledgeable. Their original intention was to work. Generation after generation working the bluffs, holes, hogs, baiting, etc. These are not dogs meant to be bred for "bling bling" to ride around in caddilacs stroking our egos. Our breed is a working breed, a loyal family pet, a farm dog, a fighting dog, a dog that can adapt to just about anything. How do I compare these guys to the dogs of yester year? They are still the great bulldog they have always been, only technology has changed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can't better something so close to perfection, only learn to be a better care taker. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2005
  10. Wayne

Wayne Big Dog

I believe the game dogs of today are better.I asked the Mtn Man the question do you think the game dogs are better today or years ago.He agreed there are so many more game dog breeders with more access to one another.Years ago there were only a hand full of dog men.

11. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

**EDIT** I had a brain fart.....DUH!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  12. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

nicely put jawbones. although, the one thing about today is that people have access to a bigger variety of dogs from all over. meaning, if your dogs had a trait you wanted to improve, you could have a wider vasriety of dogs/breeders to look at to gain that to gain that particular trait. where in the past, it seems they had to breed with what was readily availible, and do serious culling to get what they wanted. i'm not extremely knowledgeable on all the dogs/breeders of the past, but this is what i gathered but it's just my thoughts, correct me if i'm wrong!

13. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

I agree.There are certain elements of a dog you can better in time but, I think most of it is like Jawbones posted,we are better caretakers of our dogs & probally in the future dog owners then will be better than what we are now.It all really revolves around technology & advances in medicines ect...JMO.One thing that will never change no matter how much technology changes or how many medical breakthroughs are made I will always love my dogs & no technology or medicine can replace good old fashioned affection between owner & dog.