1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's the origin of "blue pit bulls"?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by sciri21, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sciri21

sciri21 Pup

What's the origin of "blue pit bulls"?

How were they bred to have the blue/gray/dilute black color? I'm not referring to the big Bullies, but to the smaller ones, like Cesar Millan's Junior(http://www.cesarsway.com/community/cesarspack/Juniors-Story).

Are they pure APBT/AST or are they the product of crossing APBT/AST with other breed(s)? I read on another site that ASTs can be blue but pure APBTs can't, but how would this make sense if ASTs and APBTS descend from the same stock? Is there any relation to blue Irish or English SBTs?

To me, the essence of a pit bull is character and performance, and color is irrelevant, so my only reason for asking is to know whether it's necessary to sacrifice gameness in order to produce pit bull derivatives that are blue in color.

Much Thanks

2. afb263

afb263 Big Dog

Re: What's the origin of "blue pit bulls"?

I suggest you use the search option. But to answer your last question in short, there were or are game/gamebred dogs out there, but i think most blue's you see are amstaff crosses.

3. ourgalsunday

ourgalsunday Big Dog

wile color is irrelevant , could be dogs from 100s of years ago . Mastiffs have that blue color.
    So we would have to be honest about it . Is it from the way way past.

Or did some one slip it in recent .
    The bullys have that blue color that I assume is from in the last 5 10 years slipping in mastiff.

4. afb263

afb263 Big Dog

Your wrong. There were gamebred pitbulls. so the color now doesnt come from any outcross. ADBA standards state blue as a accepted color, like i said there were blue match dogs and there still are today. It's just not as common. And since Apbt breeders aren't breeding for color it isn't sought after by our crowd. blue is just a color, a dilute of black all it takes is the right genes combo's in two dogs to make it happen, just like black and tans or tri-points.
    ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [290875] :: COLARTE'S BLUE DOLLY

5. afb263

afb263 Big Dog

6. afb263

afb263 Big Dog

Pit Bull Forums <History of Amstaff/Blue APBTS

7. b dub

b dub Pup

u my freind r just wrong ,,,,,,wow

8. ourgalsunday

ourgalsunday Big Dog

I stand corrected
    & true I never see them except on these over sized bully types .
    I remember seeing a 40 45 pound lean Blue type . And my feeling was must be a mastiff mix
    thanks for the new info & I'll read those older pit info post from back in the day

9. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

There are about 10,000 threads on this topic already on here please use the search feature to find them . Thread Now Closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.