1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's up with this?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ABK, Nov 21, 2009.

1. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I have seen dogs fed what is considered crap food (i.e. Ol' Roy, Beneful, Gravy Train & the like) yet they look great. And on the other end of the spectrum I have seen dogs fed medium to high quality food look that look fair & I've seen some that even looked kind of of poor, despite the fact that they have a clean bill of health from a vet & are on what most would consider good or even mid-grade food - food much better than stuff like Ol' Roy, etc.

So what gives?

2. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

i would guess genetics play a large roll

3. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Times are hard , I feed ol roy....My dogs do fine on it althow...I would never condition a dog feeding Kibble

4. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Some dogs just do well on crap food. One of mine looked damn good on Purina. But I don't always trust how it looks on the outside, so I don't feel like risking him having health problems down the road from shitty food.

5. PIt4life

PIt4life Banned

Like said above genetics play a big role in the way a dog looks on the outside and inside. I feed Nutro max, a good yet not the best food, and she looks grand.

6. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Different dogs take to different feeding programs, I always say never mind the price tag and just see that it is a good quality feed and make sure the dog does good on it, And once you find what works stick with it.

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

We tried TOTW and there was NO difference in the way the dogs looked. So we went back to Nutrena River Run 27/18. Price does not always equal quality.

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Thanks guys. I just found it odd. I always thought better food always = better looking dog.

We were feeding a dog food that was a mid-grade food (Enhanced) & all the dogs looked great. Then Enhanced changed their formula & actually made it a better food. But once they changed the formula one of my dogs started to look poor. He was completely wormed out & had a 100% clean bill of health. The only thing that changed was the food.

Then I recently purchased a dog who was fed Beneful his whole life - one of the crappiest food you can buy - & he looked great. Needless to say, I was baffled. And many years ago when we bought Savannah, her former owner had her on Gravy Train, another crapola food, but she too looked great. And I have heard dog men swear by the reputed worst of the worst, Ol' Roy.

Anyway, we got our dog off Beneful & switched him to Enhanced & now he is starting to look poor too. But on the flip side fo the coin most of my other dogs have been on both the old & new Enhanced & still look great. Fat, sassy, shiny coats, not much stool, the whole nine yards. But I've got 2 that the new Enhanced just doesn't seem to do right by them.

I talked to a guy at the co-op & he swears by Sport Mix. Anyone used it?

(P.S. Before anyone brings it up, I absolutely 110% refuse to feed Diamond. That crap killed 2 of my dogs. I'd feed my dogs 9-Lives before I ever fed Diamond or any of their products ever again!)

9. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

genetics has to do with 99.75% of it IMO a lot of the people i know that raise APBTs, American Bulldogs, and APBT/American Bulldog mixes (catch dogs) feed Black Gold in the black bag year round and their dogs look great on it

10. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

We have tried Sports mix. They did ok on it. Out best results for ALL the dogs is with the Nutrena.

It is hard to find a food that ALL the dogs do well on. And we have found one.

I have learned that EVERYONE and their mama will have an opinion on what is best to feed. I say find one that works for you and stick with it. NO matter what you choose there will ALWAYS be someone to say oh thats crap you should feed this. :rolleyes:

11. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

I just feed Diamond Extreme Athlete, Si does rather well on it.

12. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

I have heard very good things about that food.I feed my pups Diamond Naturals.

13. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Exercise is a big factor.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

yup i would definately go diamond EA for the conditioning. if not i do the naturals chicken & rice. its fairly cheap ($25 for a 40lb bag) and decent kibble.

15. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

If you are useing a kibble while conditioning you will never get the most out of youre dog or keep.

16. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

If your dogs coats are starting to look poor or they are losing any fat with the new formula it may have a lower fat content or not as much oil in it.

These things are very important for dogs. High levels of omega 6&3 from oils/fats in the food contribute to healthy skin and coat and also help with energy levels.

17. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

it depends on the dog. i have seen that too. i know guys who feed hunting brand feeds...26/18 or 24/20 and there dogs look just fine. they use these feeds to maintain...if they are going to the brrod box or the show ring then they are switched to a more appropriate feed. some say it's a decision of whether it's 'thrive or survive' for your animal.
    i too have seen it both ways. over fed and under fed / over exercised under exercised means more than the feed...at least i think so anyway....s

18. Jelet

Jelet Banned

Interesting thread.

I'm not sure if its the same way in dogs as it is in humans... BUT, my guess would be genetics... Just like humans. I have a friend who has poor nutrition but is jacked as hell.(no homo) He will drink lots of alcohol, soda,chips,fastfood,ice cream, all those fatty foods but still be ripped.

And I know of people who are nutrition freaks that eat lots of veggies and low fatty foods but have a weak build... And are not strong.

example-
    Marty's lilbit is ripped. But If hypothetically, Give her "1 or 2 star" kibble.

and Give my dog 5 star kibble

for the experiment

I bet lilbit would still have more muscle tone that my dog.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  19. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

If you are going to put serious work on youre dog you should not be feeding a kibble only diet nomadder the kibble IMO

20. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

u suggest raw?