1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's Your Definition of a Cur (Split from Bullyson thread)

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Rock n Rye, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

are you serious???

2. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Because, sometimes the other dog is just better! And when that happens, why not pick up game, and go another day, or retire to the brood pen? Cant win them all, and I'm pretty sure there has never been a dogman that has a 100% win record.

3. old goat

old goat CH Dog

yes there is always a dog out there that can take yours . and there have been plenty that were campaigned that there was every good kennel trying to get at them . and they did but still could'nt beat that dog . then in 7-8 wins they have to show their gameness and did and still won. and had to show dead game . people won't understand until they seen a few . but this is not pre 76 so that won't happen with many . dead game dogs won't stop . they will go until the end .

4. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Just want to ad, that while gameness is not the first trait I would have liked in a dog pre 76, I more than respect gameness, but a cur I couldnt feed!
    I bet those shows where one laid around in survival mode for 2-3hrs, was boring, with the scratching being the most exciting part.

5. Icepick

Icepick Banned

You are exactly right old goat, but for every one dog that did that, I would bet there were 25 Gr Ch's that ducked and dodged their way to that title. So to say they will all quit at some point, is not true in my humble opinion. I do believe that most did have a certain amount of time in them, but not all.

6. old goat

old goat CH Dog

another way to think about it is . think of the bulls in spain . they take massive blood loose . and i'm sure they're shock . if you seen a bull fight you would know what i'm talking about . but they keep coming until the bullfighter finishes him or picador . i guess that's how you spell it . them bull are dead game . because after to bleed him down that's when the bullfighter starts to finish him . anf alot of times he get the bullfighter . you just need to go is it ha ha .

7. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yes I am serious there is ALWAYS a better dog out there that can stop your dog no dog is unstoppable.

8. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I understand the dead game piece I know what dead game means. I just don't view these dogs as machinery like some on here do IMO they are all subject to break down. I am not passing my opinions off as fact I am simply giving my opinion as I see it.

9. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I was talking about dogs that didn't quit just didn't run into the right dog comment. Obviously you have no clue what a game dog is. There have been plenty of dogs who have beaten better dogs just on gameness aka took a beating for over an hour just like there have been dogs who took a beating from.a.better dog for over an hour and either were picked up bc they weren't going to quit or they left it all right there in the box. Some of these comments are very disrespectful to a lot of game dogs who would not quit and didn't cur. I'm not sure some people realize what a game dog is. Its not a dog that would quit when it ran into a better dog, that's for damn sure!

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

The they all will quit comment is thrown around as an excuse to breed curs just like the good dogs are where u find comment is thrown around by people who feed and breed bull shit. they won't all quit and that has been proven

11. Icepick

Icepick Banned

What is it exactly you dont like about the phrase "good dogs are where you find them"? Are you suggesting that a good dog must have a stellar pedigree to be good?

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Don't get you're panties in a wad DP it's not an attempt to be disrespectful at all! I do know what a game dog is ... Ok I will bite how many top dogs throughout the breeds history did you see being matched into each other? If what you are saying is how come you didn't see dogs like mayday being matched into dogs like buck or barracuda? Or dogs like Queen into Tornado ..You don't think that dog men purposely avoided the hardest competition for a reason? Yes there were some top dogs that were matched into each other but not very many. You don't have to agree with me but I have the right to express my opinion doesn't mean I don't know what a game dog is... I am going to go out on a limb and say that most people on this thread have never even seen a game dog in their lifetime so most of us read the same books or our info comes from the same people.

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I understand picking up when you don't feel like you can win but picking up right before it quits in order to call it a game loss? Sounds like a handlers lying to himself.

14. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Icepick, did you ever compete in a fighting contest like MMA or Boxing yourself?

See, I did.

Let´s consider you have a hard fight, toe to toe, and you are able to give some lucky punches that is leaving the other comeptitor stunned and barely out of his mind, well some will go and try anyways even if they from this point on have no defense anymore and suffer severe hits the judge or the trainer will intertact to save the health of this guy.

Most of these guys are marching foreward but are not aware of the situation anymore so others will finish the fight if they didn´t get knocked out by then!

So within humans we are out to preserve their health, within dogs we expect them to pull trough?

If you can´t go it´s a big difference to won´t go!

I also have seen boxing fights when one guy get´s into hot water and knows he will probably get knocked out and doesn´t find a recipe to get on top and therefore concedes, well that´s like a quitting dog to me!

15. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Re: What's Your Defination of a Cur (Split from Bullyson thread)

Yes that is a dog with a clock up there ass, the strains I have seen do this more than any other strains, were the (NOW THIS IS GOING TO HURT SOME OF YALL HELL I EVEN HAVE SOME) The Boyles strain is the strain I have seen do this most but they all had a 45 min clock, and the other line I have not seen but a hand full make it over the 1.5hr mark were the paladin line I dont have a dog with more than 10% paladin in them and that is from the best ones trust me. Yes there are lines like that they are sold for money and most of the time they will be a very ruff strain and will make you fooled thinking you have a good one, they are ruffer than your avg match dogs but if you can run an hr you have that hog in the bag. lol

16. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

If a handler is picking up because he feels his dog is going to quit that says it all quitter and not game.Because a game dog is going to keep coming and u as a handler should be able to see that.If not you don't belong in there.There was a lot of handlers that knew the signs and what to look for before a dog quits, so they would pick up to save their reputation as always bringing a game dog.They the handler was not picking up to save their dog. If they use that dog for breeding then they are fooling themselves because that trait will show up eventually in the dogs down the road.

17. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Well first of all other than buck none of the dogs you mentioned were sought after for their gameness and the reason most those dogs didn't meet each other is called weight or time period. Buck went against sandman and qoh went against the best her weight class had to offer and even went up in weight a few pounds just to get hooked. The other thing people have to take into consideration as any sort of athlete has a point where they just don't have it anymore. You see older boxers get hurt all the time because they want to go out one more time, same with dogs, nba players, and any other sport you can dream up! That statement was silly. A game dog is a dog who won't quit despite being dominated or taken extreme punishment and you turn around and say they would quit if they ran into a dog better than them. If so that dog was never game to begin with...

18. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

There were many others that could have been matched into each other timeline wise, weight wise, example zebo x boomerang. I often wonder how those dogs would fair up against dogs that were better than they were yes you are a right a game dog is supposed to keep going never stopping however there are things that are beyond their control that they can't stop no matter how game they are and people seem to keep forgetting that. They are dogs they are not god they are not immune to what happens to the body once it starts to shut down from severe blood loss and heat exhaustion they can only go on as long as their bodies will allow them to . So because they are NOT indestructible they can all quit. There was one dog and someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe it was Reno who quit because he had a seizure he had 8 wins on him... So the dog's a cur because it quit once because of a seizure? That's what I mean about people thinking these dogs are man made machines that can't break down and quit either from age, serious injury, poor keeps, poor nutrition anything can effect how athletes perform and nothing is perfect. So I respectfully have to disagree with you or anyone who says they can't quit from these things unless they are god himself they can quit they are not indestructible.

19. Icepick

Icepick Banned

No, when someone picks up just to keep their dog from stopping., its because the handler is trying to save face, make a sale, or leave room for excuses.

20. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

all hell guys dog men have been picking up and selling (GAME Stud DOGS for years) lol that is the beast that is why I say you have to see it to call it if you were not there you dont know what happened. I used to have a old CARVER/TURTLEBUSTER dog (PRE76) that would get hot and go straight blind if you took him out he would jump back in and he never Stopped he did take count but not even a sec once the handler moved and he could see a movement he hit that sombitch and went to work now would yall call him a curr it dont matter we had to cull him from a brain disorder that the vet said was from squirls shithing and getting in the watter bucket now I shoot the shiot out of every squirle I see around my dog yard. And that old dog I had was no curr he has issues we never breed that dog but I would in a hart beat if I didnt have any thing better see to me the owner I knew something was wrong the first time it happened but that dog loved to dance so much i thought it crule not to let him have fun also.