1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

When does something become its own line.

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Tommygunn, May 3, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Big Dog

I was just curious as to ya'lls responses to this one. There seems to be some knowledgeable people on here. I'm thinking that it would have to be a proven and successful dog as well as throwing large amounts of fire in the offspring.If this is retarded then light me up. I promise not to cry lol

2. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

I feel like anything throwing a good percent of consistant bulldogs and thats bred tight on one dog would be considered a strain...not really a line per say..Example say you have a dog bred real tight on Bailey's Bingo...obviously he's a RB dog but he's gonna get more of his blood per say from Bingo since Bingo's closer.
    Kinda like all the strains in the Eli family. you can have a Skull dog,or Sixbits dog, or a Nigerino dog, or Bullyson, or Eli jr. but regardless he's still an Eli dog in my opinion..
    Im no expert but i think it has alot to do with who your asking:cool:

3. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

IMO, I will have my own family of dogs after about the third generation of solely my breeding influence. Whether or not their worth a damn is dependent on the breeder.

4. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Sixbits is more of a Bose bred dog dog.;)

5. I believe you have your own dogs as soon as you make a breeding of your own. For example if I purchaed a JJ bred dog and a SS bred dog and bred them together then they are from my own breedings now and no longer a JJ or SS bred dog.

Another crucial factor that determines your own line as Sampson1 has also mentioned is a good % of producing consistant bulldogs that have the stamp of what your aiming to produce. And I agree with Marc11 this can take up to 3-4 gens of your own breedings..

Agreed! I would not call Six Bits an Eli dog at all, but a Blind Billy/Boze based dog! ;)

6. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

lol my mistake yall i was trying to make a point and i got ahead of myself...but yall understood what i was trying to get at...:)

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Big Dog

Thanks for the insite fellas that is why I love this site.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

im agree with mac 11, 3 generations. After 3 generations that is a lot of influence purely based on ones decisions. First generation breeding is your breeding but the breedings before may still play a big part of it. Basically 3 generations is long enough to fuck up if you dont know what you are doing ;)
    JMO

9. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I think before you can call it a bloodline you have to understand what line breeding is. I personally don't understand it well but I know that line breeding is what creates the line. Then like Sampson said, you can create different strains by line breeding a dog already in that line. You can also start a line by maintaining a cross. To me a family of dogs had more to do with a breeder and not a line. Easiest example to look at would probably be the redboy dogs. I would say you've created the line when 3 or more generations all go back to the same dog or dogs.

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

what you guys arent understanding is a line has nothin to do with keepin a line pure. I could start a line with 4 dogs from 4 completely different bloodlines. 1 rb, 1 jp, 1 bolio, and 1 gatormouf lol. A line can be from a breed such as the colby line, or a dog such as redboy. I assumed Tommy was talkin about a line as far as a specific breeder

11. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I think you're right DP. But to me a line has to be something line bred. A family of dogs would be more like a group of dogs not necessarily line bred but by the same breeder. Kind of like this

ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [352093] :: SWEET'S JR

clearly this would be a in the Love family of dogs but not line bred on any certain dog.

12. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

And what makes you think this is line bred?
    Im not sayin its not, i want to hear your explaination

13. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

in my opinion a line doesnt have to start pure DP but it has to become pure..like if you cross a RB, Jocko, Skull, and Butcher Boy dog (just for example ) and name the dog "Butcher Red"...lol then you have just that...a cross but if you line breed on "Butcher Red" for a couple of generations then eventually your gonna end up with a line called "Butcher Red" because thats what your line breeding on..then you can outcross that line to Jocko,Butcher Boy, RB, or Skull and you'll more then likely still get the hybrid vigor you would get with 2 completely different lines..thats just my opinion and understanding on the matter..im no expert but its just my 2 cents...
    in my opinion thats how Mayday came about..RBJ/Bolio/Tombstone...<<<he was a cross but bred pure he became a line of his own:)

14. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Take a 4 gen pedigree, if all dogs on ALL the lines top and bottom bare YOUR name and all dogs go back to the same foundation stock then the dog's pedigree your looking at is Your line of said dogs. BUT one breeder can have Two different lines, if said breeder has more than one set of foundation stock and does not cross the lines in the breeding dogs. Many many successful breeders kept 2 or more 'pure' lines separate from one another, made a cross with them and sold the offspring as being 'pure' "so and so's" when they were really a hybrid cross of two lines under one name of line. This practice is still done today with great success. Fools are sold the idea that 'pure' this's and that's are the way to go, unless they are PUREST pureity of PURENESS, and they are led to think this because of what the paper says, but more times than not I fare to say crosses win the races... Maybe....

15. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

It's not, that's what I'm sayin. It's in love's family of dogs but it's far from line breeding. I'm tryin to say that a family of dogs and line breeding aren't always the same thing.

16. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that to be line bred you had to be able to trace a line back to a certain dog or dogs closely bred. I thought that a family of dogs was not so tightly bred but bred by the same breeder. Like carver dogs. Not a blood line but a family of dogs. Then say bolio dogs were line bred down from bolio. Like a line is named after the dogs being bred and the family is named after the breeder himself and not neceessarily line bred but often is.

17. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

I think it is wrong to say so many gens or linebreeding is what it takes to call a line your own. I will give you two examples from the past to state my point. First off I will hold carver up. He breed to whatever was rockin at the time and produced some of the best dogs to come down the pike. Another prime example would be Tudor many dogs ate his food and added to his yard. Dibo was from Arizona, but we still refer to dogs down from spike or jeff as "Tudor dogs". Dogs from carver's yard were and are still called carver dogs. The silver fox did not breed bullyson or baby/tuffy, but we still call cowboy,chivo and the like carver dogs. A more recent exampl would be mayday. What is he? Hollingsworth, Tant or aycart. I would call him hollingsworth because that's who made the breeding. Whoever made the breeding gets to call the offspring his line of dogs. My mistake carver did breed baby and tuffy, but Sam and or Tana were not bred by him. What then would you call these dogs. I call a boyles dog a boyles dog not Patrick and so on.

18. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Line breeding is the breeding of cousin's, the breeding of uncles and nieces, Aunt's and nephews, Grand parents to grand children, and then breeding all the above to each other. That's line breeding a Family of dogs that all trace back to a limited number of foundation dogs. You usually want to line breed off of Inbred dogs that are off the foundation stock. Now a breeder can have multiple Strains of one line/family, a family of dogs is just that dogs that are all part of the same family but may be of a different strain of that family. But all are of that particular line, if they all go back to the same foundation stock.. Get it? I hope I explained it well..

19. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

exactly but whether or not he bred that dog, it was his dog and his line. I am mostly talkin about 1 person buying to well bred dogs from a proven breeder then breeding and selling the pups and taking credit when really all u did was make money off someone elses breeding. Now after a few generations off those then its your doing.

20. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

IMO They might be so and so's dogs, but they are so and so's down down from XYZ lines... Untill so and so has IMO a 4 gen pedigree with his name as the breeder on most if not on every dog, then are they really of so and so's bloodline...

I'm not going to call my red dogs, my bloodline (Dick or what ever name I give them) until I can fill I 4 gen pedigree with noting but my name in front of each dog even though I've bred 5 generations. They may be Dick dogs, but if I give you a dog and my name doesn't fill the page then you can't really say the bloodline is 'Dick' you would say they are mainly xxx crossed into yyy with a bit of zzz and aaa thru Dick's Dogs..... JMHO on the subject...