1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

When to retire

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by magnoilaotis, Jan 13, 2010.

1. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

When do you ladies and gents decide your happy hunter is no longer capable of going to the woods at a competent level? I am asking at what age, what amount of wear and so forth is to much to overcome. Any and all input is welcome.

2. ROSE

ROSE Banned

It all depends upon what wear and tear that he/she has endured those hunts,if what they have done proves to you that you need this into your breeding programs or if the family tree has few relatives left and they have been proven to be bred by all means retire them.

3. terryg

terryg Pup

I would say whenever he/she stops performing at the level you want. If there still goin good and not showin signs of slowin down, let em hunt.

4. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

I say when they make they're gr ch title

5. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

In my experience, I look at how my animal moves, how quickly he or she recovers, the condition of their coat, the shape their hardware is in. I look at all of these things plus the animal's energy level or lack thereof. Even when all of this is A1, Retirement is 6 years of age for mine. Because if I value my friend/hunter, I don't want to risk losing him or her at this stage of their life. I feel that if they have met my expectations this long, they deserve the "good life". If they are skilled enough, I may let them show a youngster the ropes. But Always cherish your truly game dogs as they are very valuable in the hearts and minds of TRUE dogmen and women. Doesn't matter if they hold a Ch. Or Gr. Ch. Title. Lots of cowards have held titles. Human and canine.

6. popper

popper CH Dog

couldnt have said it better my self. truly a good man

7. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

Thanks c- murda. That is exactly the answer I needed to hear. I was tempted to bring this gyp out one more time. She acts and moves like a youngster. Her mouth is good enough to overcome worn hardware, but guilt was keeping me from hunting again. I would hate for her to get lost in the woods due to my ignorance. She is 5 1/2 and has tested true to form everytime. I guess it is time to see what she will produce. Thanks for telling me what I already knew but did not want to believe.

8. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

damn you took everything i was thinking and made it sound 100 times better then i could have great post