1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Whisky drinkers here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by F.D., Nov 11, 2012.

1. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Just got off the cruise boat. Sampled some Belvenie scotch, macallan 18 yr oak barrel, and Blantons single barrel bourbon. All good stuff, blantons was my favorite. Visited the cruzan distillery in st criox picked up a bottle of single barrel rum. First of its kind, aged in bourbon barrels. Also got a bottle of black strap, darkest rum you ever seen. Both are real smooth good for sipp'n or in punch, they also say the black rum good for baking too.

2. blackcloud

blackcloud Big Dog

I like Glenfiddich 15 year old single malt....good stuff!

3. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

I haven't heard of Blantons - how does it compare to Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace? Single barrel rum sounds good - how long do they age it?

4. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

That's on my list to try. The single malts I have tried are Highland Park, Bunnehaben, Old Pultenney and Laphroaig.

5. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Haven't had Buffalo Trace but Blanton's it is distilled at the the buffalo trace distillery. With bourbons I don't usually get to try many, and drink mainly Evan williams or wild turkey and it has been a while since I had makers. But Blantons is very smooth and mellow, very good stuff way better than what I usually drink, including makers. I would rank it high with some of my favorite scotches.

The single barrel is a blend of rum aged 5-12 yrs, then aged again in one single brand new bourbon barrel 6-9 months then bottled without blending.(hence I guess why they call it single barrel). It is really nice, I only sampled it while I was there. I haven't opened my bottle(drank the blackstrap lastnight) to really drink it, but I drinks like a whiskey but more fruity, more smokey than a typical rum. it is kinda like a whiskey rum hybrid to me. It was 30 and that is where I would put it, in a makers mark catagory of quality.

I also drank a french rum, sampled, from the island of Guadalupe, longuenue or something like that. It was catagoriezed under the french/congaic rating system, I had a OS it was not rum like it was very sublte and like drinking henessy. Didn't really care for it.

If I where to purchase a bottle of anything today I would buy the Blanton's just because I usually buy good scotch and this was just as good but a bourbon.

6. jacko

jacko CH Dog

am partial to the odd good French brandy, like Remy Martin. not good for the old blood pressure mind. so i stick with good ole English Gin with tonic. either Gordons, Beefeater or Plymouth.
    whiskey gets me arrested, well it used too, i wont touch the stuff any more..lol

7. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Aaaah Gin and Tonic. I was practically raised on that stuff. my grandmother would have my mom fix her drinks and I would have to take them to her, me taking a few sips along the way. Love it, she was a Gordons lady, me I prefer Beefeater if anything for the looks of the bottle both is good stuff. still have one every now and again to remember.

8. Hey southerners.... my great grandfather in southeastern VIRGINIA was a bootlegger - had the front of selling really nice produce of fruits and vegetables. My mom tells stories in horribly humid August that big black cars would pull up (mom was born in '36, so this is prolly '46 on...?) and men in black suits would get out and when they left the tail of the car would be dragging. My grandaddy is dead now so I can't ask -- but what do you think he was brewing??? I just saw an episode on TV about bootlegging and it looked like they currently make (in rural VA) 'clear whiskey' made with corn? Whatchathink?

9. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Probably the same stuff my great grandparents used to make back in the 20's and 30s,lol Some of my distant relatives were the founders of the Old Grand Dad whiskey brand,so I've had a few whiskey makers in my family.Some was legal obviously,some otherwise,lol

10. Do you know if the old stuff was clear or colored?

11. ^ damn edit timed out.... I just looked up prohibition dates and looks like it ended in '33, Mom tells it tho like there was something nefarious going on about the big black cars..... Maybe they were a dry area... It's freakin' crazy that there are still dry towns and dry Sundays toward the east....!

12. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Well,I wasn't around then but corn whiskey (moonshine) is clear.Whiskey usually gets it's color from the barrels. I know a couple people still making it and it is clear.

13. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

well,people still made whiskey even after prohibition,I know people who still make it.There are even areas not far from here that are still dry as well,bootleggers there make a killing,alot of times they just purchase alcohol where wet and transport,but some also make it themselves.

14. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Just seen Jim Beam Devils Cut. Assume it is fairly new, anyone try it?

I know Jim Beam has a Rye Whiskey out, but what are some of yalls favorite Ryes?

How bout the Evan Williams single barrel or small batch?

15. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I don't drink alcohol at all but damn if Moonshiners isn't my favorite show on TV. lmao.

16. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

been collecting whysky now for a few years mainly rare bottles , very limited but my favs are the spayside whyskys vey smooth glenrothes is a good one im lucky enough to live in the great country called scotland , but i can advise you by emil if their is any good whyskys imported over to the us that we find hard to get here & i know of some whyskys that are cheaper in the us than here

17. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

I can get Glenrothes Chieftan's 12 year single malt for $60.00 US - is that what you pay?

18. stickler

stickler Banned

Got an 16 yrs old Glen Elgin Natural Cask Strength 58.5%vol. That's a killer and needs a good amount of water to mix with. I don't think it's worth the money. I prefer more and more a good Rum. I get 2 bottles Atlantico, Private Cask for the same money or better, and it's just delicious. Hope to find even better stuff for less money, but it's already great quality for a fair price. The Atlantico makes it fun being an alcoholic, lol.

19. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Are you talking about RON ATLANTICO PRIVATE CASK RUM? That sounds good based on the description - a blend of rums aged 15-25 years.

20. stickler

stickler Banned

Yep, that's it. At a rum-convention the Atlantico won over the Opthimus 25yrs, so it got my attention. Well, nothing can beat the Opthimus, if you ask me. But it's 4 bottles Atlantico or one Opthimus, so I vote for Atlantico. Go for it, you won't be dissapointed.