1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Whole Rabbits

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Milktoaste, Jul 19, 2012.

1. The bunnies around my brothers garden are about to get trapped and fed to my bitch. My question is, should I have them field dressed first or thrown in the freezer whole? I got chicken gizzards, hearts and livers in the fridge already so maybe the bunny guts aren`t necessary. All her food comes from store so far, so any advice from those who`ve fed small game to their pups is appreciated. Thanks

2. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

definitely freeze the rabbits or else the dog will most likely get tapeworms. just take the intestines out if you don't want your dog eating rabbit poo, lol. but it won't hurt to feed it.

3. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I know in rabbits, when being ate by humans, should be taken after a few hard frosts in late fall. Dogs can pass things such as bacteria and other microscopic problems through their digestive track, so it may not matter.
    I have been talking about starting a rabbit and chicken farm, to feed also. I was feeding raw for about 3 years, until my life happenings would not allow me to cook veggies and prepare my dogs food every night. I figured the crap in store bought meat is probably not the same as eating organic/natural animals though. I have temporarily fell back on Taste of the Wild feed for now. Do some research before you feed them and make sure that it is not going to harm them. I'd think you will be fine, if the rabbit fever/waiting until frost is not required.
    Tame rabbit meat is white, and tastes like chicken.

4. devonte151

devonte151 Fast Lane Bulldogs

My uncles cat killed a rabbit she ate some I dressed him and frost it for a few days fed him the leg quarters

5. Thanks guys :) The bunnies are getting fat off my brothers garden so waiting for the frost isn`t gonna work. Also, he offered to field dress em for me since he`s about a 20 minute drive from here, but asking him to sort the guts might be pushing it. I know there`s nutrients in the bunnies gut, and was thinkin if I cut it up while still frozen the guts may not be too messy. Again, thanks in advance, and any and all info is helpful.

6. McCoy, our city allows us to raise chickens in city limits, so Ive def considered raising them as well. My wife ain`t too keen on it though lol

7. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I feed whole animals every chance I get. don't so much as touch their guts, don't remove a thing. I do freeze for a month it two though.

8. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

Rabbits eat plants so your dog will enjoy the whole thing, I wouldn't worry about any bacterias. I eat rabbit right after the kill besides a parboil for me. But I'm only human

9. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Neiither is mine. The kids were cool with it, cause they would have new pet bunnies. but I'd have to hide the babbies or make up a story why they all moved out. I live on the edge of town and my neighboy boy has bout 6 chickens. The rooster gets up bout 530 every day, I am usually up having coffe and on here before I tend my dogs.
    I dont think my yard is big enough and I'd likely have them at my Dads place out in the sticks.

10. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Rabbit is damn good eating.

11. Of course I Googled about feeding bunnies, and apparently it`s one of, if not the most nutritous meats out there. And there`s no way Im getting a rooster lol I value sleep way too much

12. Hey Clifdog, why a whole month? Just a precaution, or is this something that needs to be done to kill off certain parasites?

13. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

RIGHT ON!! that is true, i feed wild bunnie but after dealing with tapes I freeze it now. Also I give Diamatrisearth (sp) even to my puppys. it must help. I allways Gut skin and freeze whole. belive me an inch of precauiton is worth a mile of cure.I have fed stuff I killed for ever and the dogs allways look great but I am a bitch about the worms. I allways try and keep my 2 to 5 yr old dogs ready to hunt at all time and that takes a dog being raised in a feed keep and allways kept just so and you cant do it as well with out meat!

14. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Just a precaution. We usually have enough raw food that it's not a problem to wait a month+ before feeding. I just try to be cautious about parasites in general when feeding guts and all. But I do believe that's the best way to feed because they get some vegetation from the gut.

No problems with parasites so far worming 1 time every three months so I guess I'm doing OK.

15. Good advice TripleJ, Clifdog I can already hear my wife bitching about `them rabbits in the back of the freezer!` lol. I s`poze I`ll freeze em solid and portion them with a saw. Again, many many thanks.

16. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Ide take and dress the rabbits... Add alittle salt and pepper, Italian dressing and put em on the pit. If that doesnt work then throw them in a pot and make some rabbit dumplings. Dont forget to add alittle of what evers growing in your brothers garden. Frieds always good too. Dogs would eat kibbles that night ;)

17. ^Im a grill man myself, you know I`m cookin one caught after the first frost :)

18. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

I think its Diatomaceous earth and it def helps with any intestinal parasites.I give to my dogs and the cat an rabbit

19. ivebeen

ivebeen Big Dog

Keep half for yourself, and half for the dogs. Wild rabbit is tasty stuff. For human consumption i soak the rabbit in salty water in the fridge for a day, and i will either throw it in the slow cooker with some BBQ sauce, red onion, and spicey peppers, or fry it up! Either way very tasty.

For the dogs, i will skin em, take off the head, gut em and split em in half. Then freeze for about 2weeks. I keep the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys etc. Just toss the intestines.

20. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

i'd skin em and freeze the meat AND the fur. you can salt that, dry it out and you've got a new hide for your dog to got nuts over. it'll be soft/easier to rip than cow-hide (rabbit pelts are) but fun regardless lol