1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

why did APBT's get larger

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pit#5, Oct 13, 2010.

1. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

If it's an APBT bred from game lines/game dogs than it's a bulldog regardless of how much the dog weighs however typically game dogs were never bred to be over 60 lbs you have your freaks thrown in there that pop up like Mayday. But anytime you start producing dogs that large or over the breed standard on a consistent basis one has to question what else was mixed in. The APBT was bred to be slim and athletic that is the standard for the breed. If you like a heavier bulkier dog like that you should look to another breed. Every breed has a standard and APBT's were never bred to be 70-80lb dogs.

2. damu

damu Pup

i personally could care less...the debate can go on forever...i always here the arguments of somehting being mixed in but ive heard stories of breeder adding other breeds to gamelines as well...ive seen a pit/lab mix that looked jus like some of the stuff u see on this board and by thwe heart and drive this dog had u woulda swore it was pure apbt so the mixed argument is irrelevant to me...im neutral in this debate cause i can see both sides of the track and i have owned dogs in the 30-40 range and dogs in the 70 range and my bigger dogs worked jus as hard and jus as good as my smaller dogs...im not sayin one is better than the other and maybe the larger dogs do have somethin mixed in but whos to say that the smaller dogs dont?...

3. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

There has been big dogs around for years.The public doesn't know any better they will go for a big muscular dog every time.The public mostly byb are concerned with looks.When the dogs wasn't known to the general public years ago the breeders of game dogs bred for performance /gameness. The general public knows nothing of performance gamedogs.The one thing also is try to handle a 55lb. condition dog thats a beast.No easy task.But a game dog breeder would rather have a game dog regardless of their size or color.Thats what sets the gamedog breeders apart from other breeders.

4. sidonis

sidonis Pup

I'll agree with that, my larger pitbull was the best dog I have had, he was a handfull around other dogs though, but hey thats a pitbull. seemed to have all the drive of the smaller dogs, less agile though and sh@t he could pull you off your feet heh.