1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Why SO many Dogs ! ?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Liza111, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Sorry if this may come across the wrong way!

Since I joined I have noticed that So many people on this site own SO Many dogs & I don't mean just 2 or 3, it's almost as if it's the cool thing tho do.

Now I know there's TONS people who are doing it to help save dogs & just to give them good homes but I know many of the people are not doing it for the same reason.

2. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

I only own 2 now but once I move I'll probably get a yard full just because I love bully bred dogs, not to breed. Each dog is used for something different. One group of dogs may be weightpullers, some may be just because they came from a good line. Others may be great for show. These are my reasons for wanting so many dogs.

3. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

I can understand that but SO many?
    I just think some people have so (too many) many & most of them are stuck in cages or just tied up or what ever cuz there's no room.

I don't know, I mean don't get me wrong I would Love to have tons TOO but only if I had TONS of room, like maybe lived on a farm.

4. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

We have quite a few dogs, but we make sure that we only have as many as we can take care of properly and spend the adiquite amount of time with. We have quite a few because we have some that are show dogs, some that are weight pull dogs, and 2 rescues. We try not to keep dogs that we don't show or weight pull, unless it is due to them getting older. All of our dogs will stay here forever, unless we feel that we do not have time enough for them. As long as you can properly take care of them, it is very easy to fall in love with this breed and keep wanting more.

5. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Oh Believe me I KNOW it's Addicting, I am a Sucker for puppies & every time I see a Pit pup I instantly fall in Love!

6. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

I think people have alot of dogs because like you have said it is addicting. Why just have 2 or 4 if you could have 8-10 and use them all for different purposes wether it be show or weightpull ect ect. I plan to have a yard with atleast 5-6 dogs but i would be happy for now with 2 as i have only have 1 dog. it seems like alot of work to clean,care, feed, secure a whole yard but it seems worth it. I think my reason to have a yard of dogs will be just because i have a great love for bulldogs. They are the best breed IMO and i plan to do something with each dog. Also people may have more than a few dogs because they may have bred a litter and kept most of the pups and not have sold them to the public.. Just my 2cents

EDIT*of course if you have this many dogs they each should get time spent with them and be excersize although for some bulldogs working the chain keeps em in shape.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2006
  7. RED GATOR

RED GATOR Pup

I know what you are saying. I have one 6 month old pit. I would like to have more but how can you have time with all of these dogs. I spend as much time as possible with my dog and he stays in the house because I live in vegas and it gets extremely hot. I think a lot of these dogs suffer when they just stay in there kennel all day and all night because people have so many. They love to spend time with people and when you have to many dogs how do give them the time they need

8. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

Believe it or not, but you get a schedule and a routine down pretty quickly. After just a little while it becomes easy. It is like second nature to us now. Each dog has a particular day that is it's personal time with us. We take them somewhere, play with them, work them, and spend all the time we can with them. Granted that it does change your life completely. We no longer can go on a vacation, unless it is to a dog show or something. I have people that I trust to take care of our dogs, but I would still worry myself to death. Believe me though, it is worth every bit of it.
    You must have time, patience, money, and lots and lots of love for these dogs in order to make it work.

9. Defend2DaEnd

Defend2DaEnd CH Dog

Lisa- A lot of breeders on here keep working stock. They have many dogs because you have to keep them until they are 12-18 months before you know if they are worth feeding. Now some keep them because they are rescues and there are far more rescues than homes. Those who work their dogs collect the good ones and cull the ones that don't work into their breeding program. It's all about striving for the perfect dog. The more dogs you have the more likely to produce one. Which is okay as long as you are culling and keeping.

10. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

Well Said!!!

11. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

YES Exactly!
    I'm happy to know someone else see's what I mean.

I have 2 pups, I work full time & by the time I get home it's just about 6 & have the normal every day responsibilites (just like anyone). I barely have enough time to take care of the normal stuff, I couldn't imagion having like 4 or 5 dogs, where would U put them all? Kenneled or tied up out side all day while at work.

Like I said b4, I think a lot of people just get so many cuz it makes them feel cool, Not saying they don't love the dogs but there's no reason to have so many if there not being taken care of or stuck any ware cuz there's no room.

12. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

What do U mean (before U know if they are worth feeding) ?
    What is Culling?

Well I guess I'm not into the whole breeding thing, just want some pups to Love :)

13. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Just remeber, too some folks 1 dog is too many.
    I don't think people should have more than they can care for, but not ALL dogs are pets.Some are working dogs and some make terrible pets, so keep that in mind.
    When I breed two animals its for a purpose, and being pets isn't it.If they make good pets thats fine, but not all people who have or own dogs have them for the purpose of being pets.

14. pepper_mommy

pepper_mommy Big Dog

Culling is to kill one, and 12-18 months is when they come into character and you know for sure if you have a good dog that is useful or a HA dog, or sometimes even health issues dont start until that age, and thats when you cull them....if not done at puppyhood by breeders. its a way of weeding out the bad apples and not keeping a bad dog for selfish reasons.

15. defend just pretty much described how serious dogmen keep a yard but what was left out is that they are also well loved pets.i have 14 at this point and time and i can find time to spend with them everyday,and they are cared for as best as anyone could ever do.now what defend was meaning by worth feeding is are they worthy of your breeding program because people who like to raise working stock dont want to take up space and spend money on a dog that is not of the quailty you are looking for,when they could spay/neuter that dog and adopt it out or give it away to a nice home,and in the process make room for another prospect that would fit the standard that you have set for your breeding program.alot of folks do get disturbed at times when they here dogmen talk like we do but we are just so used to talking amongst other dogmen,but dont worry you will pick up and what some of the words and phrases mean the more you are on here.now culling just means that you do not use a paticular animal in your breeding program and you spay/neuter it and give it away to someone,but back in the old days and sometimes today when a animal was culled it was put down because it reflected badly on the line that you are breeding.and you only wanted the best of the best out there because the dog is a work of art so to speak with your name on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2006
  16. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Can ask what U do w/ your dogs if their not pets?

17. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Wait a minute............so you telling me someone will KILL a dog after a while if they decide it doesn't meet the persons standards????

PLEASE tell me I am miss understanding (Culling)

18. WWII

WWII Banned

Not necessary to kill, but it can also mean to make them unable to reproduce. And like stillwater said, not all dogs are pets.

19. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

When we cull dogs, to us that just simply means to find them another suitable home. If they don't need to be bred, then we spay/neuter them and rehome them. We never put dogs to sleep unless they show human aggression or there is a health problem that where we had no other option.

20. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Sorry for being so forward but if someone Kills a dog cuz there not working out to the persons standards that's just BULLSHIT!